BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
E34 535i Sport (update)

Well, I've been a long time admiring these older BMW's from afar, and at last I have finally gone and bought one.

Its a 95 e34 535i sport with a 145,000 miles, feck all history with it. Service book is filled up to 72,000 miles in 98 with only a few bits from then till now. It passed its last mot in 2008 and had 142,000 miles. Its no way 100% perfect, but no dought I'll enjoy fixing her up.:D

Autobox is playing up with no forward drive only revers working, which meant she had to be carried home.

Got her home safely in the end with no trouble. Had to jump start it because it was Sitting up since Christmas and drained the battery.

Thats All for the time being. I'm just working my way round it at the moment to see what needs donig, and then the fun starts, I'll be updating things as i go along.

Thanks, :D

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Very nice, looks lean.. Plenty of grunt once ya get her goin in the right direction :D
Besta luck..

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
Nice car mate well wear.

Try to see the level in the auto box is ok if it is and the problems stay the same it will need either to be rebuilt or replaced. It's a ZF4HP22 there are plentifull around and not too expensive.

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Don't scare him off yet...jesus
To late I'm scared:eek: ....................!

:D
Thanks men, I'm lucky with her all right. Only faults with the paint work is some bubbling round the mirrors and at the bottom of the drivers door. other wise its sound all round.

I think this auto box is going to break my heart, its looking bad so far.
I post up some more pic's soon when i come to flushing it out.

Ps
I missing the hand book out of mine does anyone know the exact procedure of how to check the ATF oil level, should it be cold or hot running or not that sort of thing?:rolleyes:

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Forgot to mention too beemerchris its a 4 speed autobox ZF transmission 4 hp 22 is the part number on it. Do ye think i'd find one of those easy enough?

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Forgot to mention too beemerchris its a 4 speed autobox ZF transmission 4 hp 22 is the part number on it. Do ye think i'd find one of those easy enough?
Nice car mate well wear.

Try to see the level in the auto box is ok if it is and the problems stay the same it will need either to be rebuilt or replaced. It's a ZF4HP22 there are plentifull around and not too expensive.
Lovely car, good luck with the restoration. You should try andpick up a bently repair manual.

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
Yep will keep a look out for you might have one or two around somewhere

As for checking the level: Car on even ground -- warm -- engine running -- switch the box trough all gears on the leaver -- and check.

Seriously don't worry too much they are easy enough to deal with. Also if it's shagged you could consider converting here to manual or just drop another box in. Could be that the valve block is shagged and this can be fixed with the box in situ.

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well the plan is to try everything before i have to rip the thing out.
Any one heard of additives that could be added along with the ATF oil to help it along, stop it slipping?

I did put some thought into turning it into a manual but got scared by the idea when i found out all the work to be done, and the cost. :(
Would people recommend buying a second hand box or getting this one rebuilt?

I'v got some more work done on it. I let the car warm up before jacking it up (seriously tight for space underneath, i need a car lift) and draining the old ATF oil from the box.
It looked bad:eek:

It should have been red and looked like this

Only 3 liters drains at a time so I'm going to do this a few this before i give up.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Similar hapened to my Autobox. There was plenty of second hand boxes around cheap but ended up getting her reconditioned & fitted in the end. A transmission Guy in Ballymount in Dublin did a nice job for me and I got the Transmission oil cooler/Radiator changed as well .A bit more expensive ,but peace of mind.

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Similar hapened to my Autobox. There was plenty of second hand boxes around cheap but ended up getting her reconditioned & fitted in the end. A transmission Guy in Ballymount in Dublin did a nice job for me and I got the Transmission oil cooler/Radiator changed as well .A bit more expensive ,but peace of mind.
PM sent p520ip, Thanks

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just an update.

Haven't got a chance to do much lately as I was doing some research on the car and souring bits and pieces. I was also ring round and looking for a few prices to fix the autobox, which is working out dearer then i first thought.:eek:

So my question is:
1 how hard would it be to change the car from an automatic to a manual car?
2 What parts are needed, I'm guessing along with the whole gearbox I will need the clutch, diff and maybe wiring?
3 How difficult would it be for some one like myself to do, i have a basic skill and have a good knowledge and lots of time, but I'm not a pro.:rolleyes:
4 What do you think i should do, should I leave it original or convert it?
Are the auto-box's nice to drive on the bm's?
i'v never driven one.

Really looking forward to get her on the road again and get some mods started on her,:D .

Here is what she looks like now

And some day if i'm lucky it will look like this one:cool:

I really like those alloys, Am i right in calling them m parallels

Thanks for looking
More to come soon:)

·
E28 M535i
1,143 Posts
Just an update.

Haven't got a chance to do much lately as I was doing some research on the car and souring bits and pieces. I was also ring round and looking for a few prices to fix the autobox, which is working out dearer then i first thought.:eek:

So my question is:
1 how hard would it be to change the car from an automatic to a manual car?
2 What parts are needed, I'm guessing along with the whole gearbox I will need the clutch, diff and maybe wiring?
3 How difficult would it be for some one like myself to do, i have a basic skill and have a good knowledge and lots of time, but I'm not a pro.:rolleyes:
4 What do you think i should do, should I leave it original or convert it?
Are the auto-box's nice to drive on the bm's?
i'v never driven one.

Really looking forward to get her on the road again and get some mods started on her,:D .

Here is what she looks like now

And some day if i'm lucky it will look like this one:cool:

I really like those alloys, Am i right in calling them m parallels

Thanks for looking
More to come soon:)
yes they are m parallels

gear box conversion you will also need the pedal box

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Men, the m parallels are on the wish list.:D

I'm just tipping away at the car, still trying to learn what i can. Blood pain not having a pit or car lift, lost count of the number of times I've hopped my head of the sills crawling in and out from under it.:eek:

Now onto the car updates :cool:

Ive been thinking more and more about the conversion from auto to manual. I have the chance to by a rough 535i se manual but the price is a bit much for what it is as its sitting up about 5 years and a none runner:eek: .
I'll get some pic's up so if i can.

first off i''m going to give the car a lift and stick some 33" muds on her. What you think?????

She needs shocks no dough, only thing is i dont have a spring compresser. Any other ways of doing it?

OS Strut

NS strut

It failed its last mot in 2008 on them, is there any difference between SE and sport set up?
Otherwise I've just being doing small touch ups here and there, more pic's on the camera I'll try and get up tomorrow if i can.

Thanks everyone.

S

·
0 Posts
Well done
i love to see cars brought back to life, The shell looks very tidy
It maybe worth considering buying an other one for breaking,you seem to have the space and a car for breaking could be picked up for handy money and then just swap swap everything over manual box etc

At least you will have all you need that way and maybe a few spares

Good luck with it and keep the pics coming

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
thanks Stephen, have a few more for ye so:)

Piss poor images i Know sorry;)

Found a huge crack in the air box elbow was told this could cause the EML fault light, Is this true?

Ps, some clown stuck this on the back of it, I'm proud its a 535 I'll swap it with anyone who has a proper 535i one no problem.:rolleyes:

@ben
Thanks if i can get one at a cheap price i'll but it in, drive it round for a few mounths to get a feel for it and a bit of fun and maybe convert it at a later stage. As like every one on here i'm doing it on a budget and I've little at all to be spending......................Yet:D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts