BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Got round to servicing the car at last. :)
New 10w-40 semi syn, oil filter and fuel filter.

Anyone remember off hand how you reset the service indicator?
Thanks

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Love at last

New gear box €150
New ATF oil €60
My time €worthless

Driving this thing on the open road.............Priceless

Well if I'm being honest it cost me 30 bloody quid as 16 mpg was the best she done :eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
1. Ignition off & then remove the diagnostic cap. Turn key to position 2

No sure what its like on your 535i but should look a bit like this.

2. Connect pins 7 + 19 with a wire (remember to put a low amp fuse on the wire).

3. Turn ignition on and wait for about 4 seconds for an Oil Service reset, 10 seconds for an Inspection reset, then

4. Remove the wire.

5. Replace the cap on the diagnostic socket.

6. Turn ignition off again.

You need to do it exactly as described above. or else it won't work

regards,

Paul.

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Thanks Paul, that's next on the list.
Its only taken me four months but finally when I put the key in the ignition there is no warning bongs an more. :D
Oh the small things:eek:

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
December update.

Wow, haven't updated this since September. I didn't think it was that long. :eek:

Anyway, like all great works of art I've been hacking away at the car...............slowly.:eek:
Been mostly busy and out of money, but that never stopped me before.
So I been doing a lot of small things, got this cool little thing for the taking along with the centre console in my local breakers, never seen one before and thought I'd have it.

plugs in to the wiring loom and lights up, pure useless but I like it.

Anyone able to guess what its actuality for? :p

I then thought I'd be proactive and replace the pollen filter. This process involves removing most of the dash and centre console.
What's that I hear you say, 535's don't have a pollen filter???? Well you'd be right. :mad: Early E34's didn't have one.
What a waste, at lease I was able to replace some blown bulbs in the dash.

I also touched up the wiring on the radio, as it was joined with a domestic connection block. :confused:

I was also browsing other accessories and came across this radio. Its called a BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS and I really want one bad.
It connects to the on board computer and displays info on the dash. Anyone every seen one. Think there are more common in the 8 series.
BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS in a 535i
BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS

other wise I just cleaned and polished her before I wrapped her up for the winter,
last pic of the car before i stuck her in the garage. Couldn't dare
leave her out in weather like this. :p
]
Thanks for looking.

To be continued in 2011................................:D

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Firstly whats the craic with the 540i badge?????? :D :p (Just read your earlier posts, ignore this. lol)

Why did you pull the dash apart to get at the pollen filter? I changed the pollen filters in my E34 and they pull out into the drivers side footwell from behind the dash. You only need to remove the carpet trim and kick panel above the footwell. Its a bit of a struggle as they dont really fit past the steering coloumn.

Heres a great site that I found for the E34

http://www.bmwe34.net/Wiki/tiki-index.php

My E31 850 had the BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS but some hallion ripped it out. I sourced a replacement on Ebay but it was broken and unrepairable.

However there is a guy on Ebay that refurbishes the BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS. i bought one off him for around £130. It was very good.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-BUSINESS-CD-PLAYER-CD43-E36-E34-E32-E31-E30-Z1-Z3-/280601031680?pt=UK_Audio_TV_Electronics_In_Car_Entertainment_GPS_In_Car_Audio_Players_PP&hash=item41551ff400

In reality he is selling rover head units with an "M" badge stuck on but they are the exact same head unit that we got in our BMW's except 10 years earlier. They are 100% quality.

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Anyone able to guess what its actuality for? :p
Heh. I can give you a bunch of cassettes, if you want some :)

I was also browsing other accessories and came across this radio. Its called a BMW Bavaria C Professional RDS and I really want one bad.
It connects to the on board computer and displays info on the dash. Anyone every seen one.
I had one in my E34 520i, but that's scrapped years ago.

Anyhow, always good to see a bit work done.

/M

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Great to see ya taking on such a challenge for your first time. Great setup too, Id love to have that much space to use. :D

Well done, I look forward to seeing what ever else you do to it,

·
Registered
936 Posts
Savage read lad well done on Doin it all ya self... Would love to be able ta do something similar but ive no garage/space and stupid on street parking so not even a driveway lol... Keep us updated bud cheers

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Thanks

@John

Badge is on the long finger as BMW where asking €25 for a replacement.
Sweet looking unit, more modern looking but is slightly different.
I wouldn't mind one all the same

BMW BUSINESS CD PLAYER CD43

BMW Bavaria C Professional.

The cool thing about the Bavaria C Professional is the dash integration.

@ Marlow
Spot on lad, I've a load of tapes ready to go, Thanks :D
Believe it or not I got that unit out a a green/blue 520i E34. :eek:

@ Rich

Its the main reason I went for the 3.5 lump as there very easy to work on.
The addition of the Bentley manual and auto data also means its very hard
to go wrong, and if it does go wrong a good club hammer usually fixes it.
:D

@ Mick
The space does help, and would difficult along the road all right.

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
I changed the pollen filters in my E34 and they pull out into the drivers side footwell from behind the dash. You only need to remove the carpet trim and kick panel above the footwell. Its a bit of a struggle as they dont really fit past the steering coloumn.
Lucky you don't have one so - serious pain in the hole to change. Here's how mine looked after I took it out (and that was after cleaning off much of the leaves/debris already) !

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
Lucky you don't have one so - serious pain in the hole to change. Here's how mine looked after I took it out (and that was after cleaning off much of the leaves/debris already) !

Ah sure thats nothing! :D

Here's mine. In their genius BMW had to split the pollen filter in 2 for right hand drive cars to pass the steering column when they came out.

Needless to say they are the cause of all the heater problems I have had and now fixed. Blocked pollen filters causes the heater to over heat and burn out final stage resisitors (swords) etc. I had to refurbish my sword with new capacitors and repair a few of the solder joints as they had cracked.

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts

That looks like E39 pollen filters. Are they from an E39 ? Or if, what year E34 are they in ?

/M

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
In their genius BMW had to split the pollen filter in 2 for right hand drive cars to pass the steering column when they came out.
I wish I had a split one - the one above was a solid one that had to be contorted into place with my head buried beneath the pedals to get at it.
I had the local fire station on speed dial incase I got stuck and needed to be cut out from under there....:D

@ Marlow - they are from my 1995 E34 520i.

·
A full greener
140 Posts
very nice

very nice thread lad just out of interest roughly wat was your budget for the pit??

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Thank you very much men, its a labour of love. Sadly I've found less and less
time lately to spend working on her but things will pick up when the weather warms a bit.

@ bimmerheartbreak

On the pit, I'd say I spent about €800 on materials plus my own time labouring
and building. Worked out reasonable in the end and is a Godsend when working
on anything. Make sure to look at other examples first if you plan on building
your own and get a good picture of what you need to suit your needs size wise.
Mine is 3.2 meters long 2 meters deep and 1.6 meters wide with steps at one
end leading out and indentations in the block work for lights and sockets.

·
Fourdoors for more Whores
1,727 Posts
Hi andrew, jaysus its good to see the 535i getting LOADS of attention:D

Still havnt got them front fogs working, is there anychance you could do me a favour next time your near the front fogs and tell me what colour the wires going into them are?

Much appreciated, Seany

·
Andrew
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I will do no problem, is it the wires going in to
actual fog lights or the switch on the dash?

61 - 80 of 83 Posts