BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've posted here before re this no start issue,still have not got it solved,basically at the oddest of times I go to start the car and I get absolutely nothing,leave it for a 30 mins or sometimes longer and it will start again!this always happens after I have been driving it,

Just recently and this could be complete coincidence,I've noticed that when driving I have had Ac on full so when I turn car off Ac is still in on position,a coupke of times now I have gone to start it and its fine its usual no start,then if I turn Ac to off position it seems to start,

As I said this could be complete coincidence just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on it or could shes some light as its quite an annoying issue not knowing when it's going to start or not start!

Hope you can understand above explanation,thanks in advance
Nick

·
Gunner
438 Posts
Is it not an overheating issue, when my car cuts out after overheating u cant start it till the engine/coolant temperature has dropped down. maybe worth looking into

·
Registered
326 Posts
Sounds like you have a dry joint somewhere in the electrics? only kicks in when heated up, next time it happens get some one to try turning her over while you go round wiggling cables might be lucky & track it down?

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
Get it plugged in for a diagnostic - possibly the coolant temperature sensor - there are 2 sensors but could be the one for the ECU as opposed to the one for the gauge.

All this is assuming it actually turns over OK as said above.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Happened the other day again,when i turn key in ignition all I can hear is a click from starter motor which I assume is the solenoid,and then a whining sound from starter which I assume is spinning,nothing else happens,leave car for few hours turn key again and car starts first time??

·
Registered
255 Posts
Happened the other day again,when i turn key in ignition all I can hear is a click from starter motor which I assume is the solenoid,and then a whining sound from starter which I assume is spinning,nothing else happens,leave car for few hours turn key again and car starts first time??
It's the starter motor system so, solenoid is not throwing out the gear to catch the ring gear on the flywheel. Starterr is spinning though, so it should be a cheap enough fix.

part no1 is not pulling no7 so it's not pushing no6 onto the flywheel.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Nick, I know this is a long shot and this was a long time ago but did you ever solve this issue?
I'm sure i have the same problem at present.
Just had glow plugs replaced as recommended by the garage but still have the same issue.:(
Did a new starter motor work?
Thanks
Ivan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts