BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at a 1994 BMW e36 318i coupe, with a 318is engine in it. The engine is in it, but the wiring loom isn't connected. The dash etc is connected, but the engine part of the loom isn't. He said he bought a 1.9 wiring loom with the engine, but was told that the old 1.8 ecu would work, but the fuel/air ratios would need to be remapped. I was just wondering if anyone had put a 318is engine into a 318i before, and how big a job is it to wire in something like this?

·
///Moneypit
875 Posts
All E36 318 coupes are IS's - they all have the twin-cam m42/m44 engine. The saloon was the only one with the option of the 318i/318is variant.

TBH, that car sounds more hassle than it's worth - you're going to be finishing off a job someone couldn't be arsed to do.

·
Registered
936 Posts
I've seen a fair few 318i coupes advertised forsale

·
///Moneypit
875 Posts
And you'll see a lot of V6 BMW's advertised as well, the seller doesn't always know what they're selling.

If it's E36, a coupe and has a 318 badge, it's an IS.

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
in 94 it could be with or without mobilizer ,check car chassis number on realoem for ECU part number and engine code,and get chassis number from ECU which is with new engine and u will have few questions less,nobody will explane online what to do with this bucket of wires in this car

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well it's fairly well priced, and I don't mind spending the time on it....

in 94 it could be with or without mobilizer ,check car chassis number on realoem for ECU part number and engine code,and get chassis number from ECU which is with new engine and u will have few questions less,nobody will explane online what to do with this bucket of wires in this car
All I'm asking is does anyone know how big a job it is, I can get the diagrams etc online, but it's just an estimate for how long it will take and how much work il have to put into it is what I was wondering

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I understand what your saying too, but I won't be able to get those numbers until tomorrow at the earliest. All I'm looking for is a rough idea. Thanks for the advice tho, I will look into getting those numbers...

·
Registered
174 Posts
land9 is correct the coupe didnt come with the option of 8/16v , your best option is to get a correct ecu and if it has ews get the transponder and module to correspond, its easier to buy an engine loom as they plug and play, i put a m44b19 engine in my 316i and the engines loom pluged straight in but i had to put in ews unit and transponder

·
Taking no shit since 1998
768 Posts
I bought a 95 1.8 IS engine and it was unimobilised.

First up, what year is the engine thats fitted, is it a 1.9?

Is the engine in place in the car and is the loom connected to it? If so, you have 2 maybe 3 earths to connect to the chassis and battery terminal and the rest is all fed into either the sensors (coil pack, lambda sensor) or the Multiplug. It just fits right in. Should fire up straight away.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
land9 is correct the coupe didnt come with the option of 8/16v ,
No, but it did come in 1.8 and 1.9 variants. A '94 car will have had a 1.8 16V engine. Sounds like the replacement engine is from a later car.

·
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As far as i know,
Its a 1.9 engine,not sure on the year, but the engine is in the car, but the wiring loom is not.
I should know for definate later today

·
I know nothing about BMW
3,038 Posts
Have an ECu from a 97 m44 should you need it ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts