BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After getting my 320d I decided I couldnt have a rwd without feeding my craving for sideways, and not wanting to abuse my new one I had to get another one that i could go mental with. Feeding my hatred for sparkplugs and love of german machines a 325TDS was the obvious choice. Owly went parts with me on this project.

2.5L turbo Diesel, 6Cyl giving out 140Hp & plenty of torque. The bosch pumps in these are electric controlled & I can work Black Magic on these ;)

got it jacked up & checking all the bushings in the back, all seem nice & solid. Rear Left wheel bearing is fucked tho had it out to 155MPH up on the axle stands

up to the front then, power steering pump im not so sure about, so ill probably flush the system & see. Fan belt tensioner is a bit stiff aswell so ill open it up & see.

front mount intercooler & hosing & that seem in good nick so thats good.

feeling the clutch is going to give up soon enough owly already managed to get it slipping. Especially when I get this throwing out some daecent power figures pluming black smoke. looks easy enough to get the gearbox out so happy about that.

wishbone bushes are grand, not so sure about the balljoints tho.

will be fitting a Hydraulic handbrake & maybe even a biasing valve or a switchover to a 2nd set of calipers not connect to anything so i can have front brakes only. Ill see how im getting on with bits & pieces. welding the diff, lower it a bit with harder springs to sharpen the handling, clean out the air intake & EGR block, turning it up until theres nothing but Pure Pollution coming out the back, decat & maybe twin exhausts.

Agri Spec Diesel Slider FTW

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
right, owlys cars still causing me headaches, theres always somethin!

anyways we tore into it briefly this weekend

opened up & washed out

welded up

and the rear hub taken off & wheel bearing changed out. hub is such an odd shape its a bastard to keep straight on the press

went stripping & trying out new toys, namely shane going mad with the air chisel. the plasma cutter or the grinder were going to set the interior up if we werent careful. Couldnt believe how easily it cut through the plate into the boot

then another of owly's notions, a cold air feed through the fog light

theres another bit of work to do on the back subframe next weekend, machine up two solid bushings out of either polycarbonate plastic or steel, whatever we find first when we go looking around the workshop
we've also got a hydraulic handbrake to make up & fit

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
settling into the slow side of the build now, didnt have much time this weekend with loading up & setting up for tractor pulling :D

a brake line flaring tool we made a while back
gona be important for this bit of the build

how are we gona work the hydro handbrake

first things first, the clutch master cylinder we're using (0.625) had a reservoir on top & is designed for drip feeding for adjusting clutch position. the cylinder had to be opened & the feed bored out to take the flow of brake fluid through it for in-line use, and we also had to thread it to take a bolt that we would bore & make a brake line fitment out of

machining the bolt we are using as a reducer. A blind 10mm hole had to be bored & tapped, followed by a through bore of 3mm. This was to make a seat for the flared brake line.

made up a mounting bracket for the master cyl on the milling machine

then a mounting bracket to go onto the car

and decided where I was going putting it

then an adjustable leaver system

never got it finished, need to weld on guide rails for the leaver & bend the leaver to a nice position for the driver.

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
a rough Re-Calibration of fuel sensors & anything to 200 Horse... until the engine begins to shudder just above idle should be grand. According to the sweedish nutjobs they reckon at that level of fueling a bigger turbo will bring it to 250... anything more & you need a steel headgasket............ Thats a long way down the road yet

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thats the lad that was telling about what you can do standard & what level what needs to be changed....
That yolk is using a 524TD fuel pump, a custom made governor for it & steel headgasket... I think the engine was re-done, New clutch, but still using standard injectors.. and with the turbo he's putting out 315 or so he reckons

Ill be happy to sit at 190ish for now until we see how we're gettin on... cheap recession slider is the name of the game with this project, MonkeyJuice is cheap :D

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bought this lastweek to rob bits off & break it
E36 318IS Coupe M Sport, few tasty bits on it

Anyways, stealing some bits off it at the weekend & being a petrol and my Ban on spark plugs, the engine was not coming past the door :p

anyways, Figuring the ECU & Pump out what pins do what from the schematics to make up my chip

EGR & Manifold cleaned out, Trailing arm bushings re-fitted now too

After that didnt get much done, & with tractor pulling going off again next week its not looking like much will be done this weekend coming either, Fiddling diesel pumps in tractors instead :D

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
After a bit of tractor pulling on sunday and lungs filled with black smoke it gave us a bit of motivation to get this going ASAP on monday, early start & late finish

got our wires pulled from the pump, and then the manifold went back on sunday night to give the gasket sealer chance to set.. all painted up

diff put back in, lowering springs fitted & camber adjusted to the max... tracking at the min is severely toed in, sort that nextweek maybe

after EoinK's reccomendation on stripping the original seats & interiorinterior because of the weight, we set about doing just that & stripped a bit more.The weight of those seats is something else..

and just another slight mod to the Hydraulic handbrake, guide rails for the leaver. almost done with this now & needs to be fitted

got impatient then and wanted to see some smoke, had an initial go at starting the car & had hardship with a broken return hose on cylinder 5, airlocking constantly. damaged it while removing or re-fitting the manifold..

Once that was sorted we got it started but running rough, air coming through from before the diesel filter, so after some head scratching we descovered that the lift pump in the tank was not going, when we gutted the interior we broke the negative wire that does be grounded to the chassis.. got that back in & within 5 seconds it started running like clockwork yet again :D so simple but enough to burst your head for a while

anyways, with it running.... time to chip it up :D BLACK SMOKE :D poor Karen got a mouthfull of soot as she showed up just as we were getting it running right
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yPUU3qHe0o

Brought it out for a spin, the power difference is MENTAL, spins in first second and third. Power band is nowflawless right to 5000 revs, and there is potential with this chip to go a touchien further.. I think we found the limit of this clutch, was half worn to start with tho we reckon.. Next is screw the boost a bit, but Lovin this smoke :D

1 - 20 of 173 Posts