BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #161
Was thinking that this car would be due a big turbo some time!

So soon you'll be offering a full service of mapping these along with the setting up the arduino board! Had looked into getting a vnt for my 306 but reckoned it might be beyond me to control it, think the bmw could really benefit from it though with it being such a low down torquey engine to begin with.

Hows the newer modified head going anyway?
Can already do the mapping but I'd need the car to get it propperly tuned for road purposes I cant just post off chips just yet lol

Strangely I'm finding the control part the easy bit. Modified head is waiting until I get this turbo running Its been on the ajenda for over a year & never had a turbo to suit, then inside one week you end up with a HX35 and a Garrett GT2260V in your lap

I suppose I can throw a small update on it here & edit it later again when I've it finished fully

Tried fitting it underneath & its just too big, its sitting on the engine mount

so flip the exhaust mani & spin the turbo to get the exhaust pointing back.. problem is now its not a bolt on job :/ what it looks like

lazer cut a few flanges to make up an adapter

& die grind the inside with sanding cones until its 100% smooth flowing

and eventually it all bolts together

now next issue, Oil feed has to be on top & exit out the bottom so that required splitting the turbo & its going to be rotated most of the way around. uneven amount of veins so the dowel hole is going to be re-positioned in one of the two spots outlined below

also.. FMIC :D

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #162 (Edited)
Anyways, Finally time for a well overdue update on this

No point in slapping on a big turbo & having a 2" restriction on the intake manifold, so the plan formed

& finished

then figured out the piping from the turbo to the manifold

then, the VNT Controller Servo motor being controlled by an arduino which is at the moment just reading boost pressure from a sensor & Mapped for the veins to be fully open at 1.5 Bar Boost

Turbo & servo in its final position, anyone notice the colour of the wires yet :nod:

Oil feed fitted & EGT sensor added

Then to test it out, this was recorded last friday night, working incredibly well boosting full under no load.... We picked the right turbo!! We were extremely suprised
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuO6xWJaTpk
saturday we stuck everything else back on & did a job on the cold air intake, straight in through the headlight

Bit of a job on the front bumper too, oh yea & 25mm spacers all round

Completely Un-Tested we loaded up & headed to tynagh sunday morning to have a lash at a grip day & weed out any issues the car may have & test out the turbo & setup. Drift car come Track car huh?

Trying to keep it composed & in a straight line with 225 dunlop SP Sport road tyres on the rear was a challenge even in a straight line down the back straight in 4th gear, there was just so much torque and so much extra power the full way up through the rev range where the original turbo used to drop boost pressure this one just kept going

changed over to wet grip tarmac tyres on the rear & it kept it a wee bit more straight, thats when the power gains really began to show with the speed I was getting down the back straight. Its hard to tell exactly what its like tho having been so wet for the tracktime we had

As the rain suddenly took a turn towards a downpour I had a wee bit of a moment on one of the hairpins saw the front bumper eating some tyres in the centre of the track, luckily intercooler escaped unmarked! Bumper will be fixed with a cabletie or two

so.... What did we learn from it all? I spent some of the day getting the turbo close to perfect at 1.5 bar constant between 2000rpm and 6500rpm. Best bit is I ended up not opening the veins fully to keep it at 1.5 Bar which meens theres plenty more potential in this turbo yet :D.. 2 Bar & a bigger plunger in the pump next :D VNT Turbo For the WIN, best decision ever!! The servo did not melt sitting on the rocker cover & thats well tested after getting the stones driven out of her on sunday. All is good :D And a good few more ponies especially in the high high revs now.

On a side note trying to keep a car in a straight line when it has a suspension setup for drifting is extremely challenging. We'll be getting original wishbones sorted out for the next day & bring back in the camber for grip days

·
Registered
21 Posts
As usual, great to see an update. On the phone though so can't see the video just yet.

Is the plan to run a tps as well for the vnt or just leave as is? I supose with a drift/track car its unlikely to be ever needing high rpm, low boost conditions!

On a slight side note, is it possible to have unlocked ecu's for these machines?

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
As usual, great to see an update. On the phone though so can't see the video just yet.

Is the plan to run a tps as well for the vnt or just leave as is? I supose with a drift/track car its unlikely to be ever needing high rpm, low boost conditions!

On a slight side note, is it possible to have unlocked ecu's for these machines?

Nope but I may include RPM rather than TPS, if you throttle off in high rpm's & the boost drops, plant it again & the veins fully closed theres a moment therewhere its basically restricting the exhaust until the boost increases.
If I ran with RPM's I could limit how much the veins close by under throttle off conditions, probably would help for grip days, but in general I want Maximum boost where possible.

Unlocked ECU's as in no EWS? Yes..... Havent done it... yet! But I know roughly how to

·
Registered
4 Posts
Nice progress! I smashed my first tds with GT2559V into tree about year ago, and half year ago a built another car, tds again, with GT2260V too , with 12mm plunger working in el. injection pump, self remaped, with M30B35 Single mass flywheel with 240mm clutch etc. Making 400m sprint in 13.8s. Our project are very similar :). Maybe we can exchange some experience. PM me if you are interested.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Without wanting to completely spam the thread, picimuri, have you a project thread? I've a 325tds road car, wouldn't be looking to get it to the same spec as urs but half way would be nice!

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #169
Nice progress! I smashed my first tds with GT2559V into tree about year ago, and half year ago a built another car, tds again, with GT2260V too , with 12mm plunger working in el. injection pump, self remaped, with M30B35 Single mass flywheel with 240mm clutch etc. Making 400m sprint in 13.8s. Our project are very similar :). Maybe we can exchange some experience. PM me if you are interested.

Be interested to see pics of the single mass flywheel and how it fitted the gearbox if you could share please, post in here if you wish, although it would be interesting to see a build thread on how you went about fitting the turbo, the 12mm plunger in the pump ect

·
Registered
4 Posts
To be honest, I'm very busy almost all the time (school, FSAE, my friend's M20B27 turbo, another friends M30B35 turbo, my own cars...), so i think I can't upkeep my own thread with my limited free time. I wasn't here for very long time. Now I checked your thread just because I remembered that you were moding swirl chamber passages, and want to know what you have achieved by that. If you have Skype, tell me by PM and we can exchange some photos and so.

·
Diesel Nut
400 Posts
Discussion Starter #172 (Edited)
Right, to close out this thread from me, I have sold out my half of this to E36Lad as I have started a new project, a 330cd "M3d" (Click HERE).. That said, Owly will continue the work on this car (I hope) so this is his thread now. There is also another TDS Coupe Project by another member of the team who has helped with this project to date, so I will be posting updates to that also.. (Click HERE)

Right so for my final update on this
The 2nd flywheel didnt hold up to the hammering it got during the last track day, so we got Flywheel number 3 machined up & in the car ready for the IGR Drift Day,

we also got methanol installed on the new manifold to keep everything cool

new control panel made up

& the LED Dash also hooked up for monitoring everything

the arduino sitting in behind doing its job controlling the turbo to perfection all day, wired with some of the finest shielded Rosenberger cable (Genuine OEM for new BMW's may I add :p)

And to sum up our day at the IGR Drifting event in one picture

Turns out Oil Coolers dont like being dragged along the ground... Put every bit of oil out onto the track in moments as soon as it ruptured!, after that we had nothing but oil pressure problems :/ ended up being towed off the track a second time with Oil pressure issues & that was that for the day :/

So thats all from me on this project, its Up to E36Lad to continue the work from here & keep this sideways

·
Registered
1 Posts
evry mod

Hello everyone, could you tell me which pin to connect evry mod in 325 tds e36? I read everything online but nothing safe and I do not want to break anything ... thank you very much !! :)

161 - 173 of 173 Posts