BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Taking no shit since 1998
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so the E46s seem to pop up needing engines regularly but the E36 seem to be plentiful. I'm considering an E46 but I'm worried about finding a replacement engine. Is there any way round dropping the E36 plant in instead? I'd assume if it was a straight swap there wouldn't be so many E46s on the market needing apower plant, or am I way of the mark?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
If E46 would have same engine like E36 they would be more popular these days,but its not. E46 crankshaft sensor is at the back of engine and reads from the ring on crankshaft,E36 in front of the engine and reads from crank pulley.u need to fit in E46 crank in E36 engine and drill hole for sensor.Most common problems on these engines head cracks ,head gaskets and crank bearings.Just very late E36 compacts has same engines as E46 . face lifts E46 models are dying every day,not even worth to think about pre face lift E46 models

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
are the e36 e46 318i engines not the same one was m43 the other m43tu

if your going to the hassle of an engine swap just drop.an m52/54 in

or better yet just buy the 6 pot to begin with running costs are pretty much the same bar tax

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
To be honest, I've lost my job recently and saw a load of these E46s cheap needing engines and plenty of cheap E36s with engines and thought, yup, that'll do. Not as simple as that or so it seems.

As Valdelis said, Head issues are the main problem. I take it the heads aren't interchangeable either?

·
Premium Member
3,737 Posts
better E36 1.8 or 1.9 is ,but not E46 ,front wishbones first problem on E46,8 valve shit engines on both on them,expansion bottles,cracked water hoses,oil leak everywhere, and so on.u can change head no problem,but very often after they there overheated crank bearings fails straight away or little bit later,seen same problems many times

·
768 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, I'll tread carefully. Thanks Valdelis, appreciate the help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Holy thread resurrection but.... I have been looking at some relatively cheap 318i E46 m43's. One or two have come up that may need a bearing or worst case scenario engine replacement. One in particular is a friends that I would be getting for practically nothing and myself and another friend have the tools to do the work. Question is, how much should I be paying for a second hand engine considering alternator, water pump etc on existing engine are fine. Does anyone have one for sale or know of one for sale?

Thanks in advance,

Zuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts