BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to the bm seen.. And am currently at the very early stages of building a e36 m3 drift car... I know this has been done to death but just checking.... I planning on selling my current LSD unit and replacing with a welded one... I'm looking for something a long the lines of 3:9 or 4:1... I know I can get a 188mm cwp off eBay....but looking to know what other model 3 Series can i get the diff from, i know ther are different size casing... And will it bolt straight in??... Or will I be changing shafts&prop too?? Any advise be greatly appreciated thanks

·
BMW Maniac
443 Posts
E30 325 has a 3.91 diff in a 188 cwp. Early e34 autos had a 4.4 in a 188 cwp. Both would need to be put into an e36 case.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for info....could I just pick up a standard e36 open diff, fit a cwp from e bay...weld her up and drop it in and off I go..? That's wat I was thinking of doing

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Need complete cwp and differential unit from donor ratio diff snd then fit that to an E36 casing.

Just the cwp won't work as the crownwheel offsets are different.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Will the casings from 323.. 325..328 just bolt straight in the my subframe and I can just use the shafts and prob I have then!!

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Will the casings from 323.. 325..328 just bolt straight in the my subframe and I can just use the shafts and prob I have then!!
Yep, straight fit.

I'd be interested in your diff too as need a 3.15cwp and LSD unit for a customers E30 and need a E36 casing an M3 output flanges for making my own 4.4 for my Evo.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts