BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is it with E36 M3 prices in this country. Just looking through some for sale and the prices are bleedin ridiculous. Do people think cos its an M3 they can put a silly price on it. Looking at a 94 and the lad wants 12,500! thats a lot of cash for a 12 year old car what ever way you look at it (and I think its still on uk plates)

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yeah you can get lovely ones in england,hard to find a low milage one tho but as long as she has the history its nae bother,brother was gonna buy a 97 m3 evo until he heard about them vasco systems or something going wrong on them,mad money to put right!!

·
Administrator - E46 M3
1,834 Posts
12,500 ex VRT ? I'd say thats a fair price. Please though Mike, don't get all Irish and worry about the age of a car :) Surely by that idea alone, how are 1979 911s still fetching more than 20K or better yet, E30 M3s fetching more than an E36 or 1986 AE86s fetching over 10K. The age of a car has an impact on the price, but it also depends hugely on what type of car it is.

An even easier way to justify the cost of the M3 would be to compare it with like minded/powered cars ?

94 TT Supra ? 14K minimum
Anything else we can compare it to ? RWD, front engine mounted, over 280hp...

or how about pricing out how much it would cost to get a smaller engine E36 of the same year and "upgrade" to M3 standard ?

What do you think is a fair price for a 94/95 M3 ?

·
Registered
673 Posts
This one on Carzone I'm guessing is what you're talking about. They don't mention that it has to be registered still so I'm guessin it's on Irish Plates already. Looks like a very untouched car too. If 12,200 is after VRT then it's a nice car but I still think if you search the UK you will get the same car with 20-30k less on the clock.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I think the prices of all BMW's are inflated over here when compared with the UK - but I think its normal to expect that an M3 will fetch far more than a 318is of the same year, despite sharing most components. Its a completely different car. I also think condition and history plays a larger part in the price of a 5+ year old car that the actual age.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I agree, the M3 may look pretty similar but it is a hugely different car, you cannot compare.

For 12k I really doubt you will get anything like the reliability, comfort and obviously the performance, plus, when you ever decide to sell it on you will have a car that is still worth a good deal of money.

Go for it !!

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Your getting me wrong lads, Im used to uk prices and that seems shocking to me for a old m3 although it is "mint", not going to buy just bored on nighht shifts! Richie, if you look closer the plate thats been covered has uk reg and a single tax disk, but it may be an old photo!?

Just seems a lot for a 12 year old car thats all, what would a late 98 or 99 fetch here?

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I think the likes of the one Richie just posted, and the other more desirable ones will be fetching big cash for the foreseeable future. Its a bit like the twincams fetching 10K+. The less desirible M3's can be gotten much cheaper - e.g the dark greens, daytona violets, white ones etc, with matching cloth interior... am scanning the autotrader every night at this stage - very few cheap ones in cosmos black/estoril blue/techno violet/avus blue. Don't think the E36 M3's will ever hold their value quite like the E30 ones though. Wouldn't mind one as a track day toy though :D

·
Registered
561 Posts
That M3 Richie posted is the dogs, if i was gonna buy again i would definetely hold out for something a little bit different like that. But then again i'd probably go for the GT. It's a buyers market now but the E36 M3 will still fetch close to 15k from about '95.
I breifly thought about selling mine a while back, advertised it for 1 month in Auto-trader. When i finally decided to keep it i got two phone calls from two car dealers in Dublin wanting the view the car. Now i know they wouldn't have paid the 15k i had it advertised at but they will change hands for this money as a private sale.

www.bobs-shack.com
UUCMotorwerks & Forgeline wheels

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plenty of choice in the uk especially when a e46 330 sport is 15K sterling it just shows the price diferences! Im still amazed that people put 98 318's with very little spec for sale and ask 15-16k! Ill learn one day. One bonus buying in the uk is the cars tend to have a far higher spec

·
Quattro Representative
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all of a sudden I take back when I said Kens mates evo vert was a tad pricey at 26k!

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Actually - speaking of my mates Evo - look at the Evo for sale on that UK site Richie posted - with VRT and exchange rates, it comes in almost exactly at what my mate is looking for - even though it has an extra 12K on the clock...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts