BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys maybe someone who has done one before can help me out here.

I'm looking to replace the starter, its on its last legs. I know that it supposed to be a PITA to do. I'll be going in from the top as I'v no pit/ramp or lift and I wanna do few other bits while I have the Intake off.

So few questions

How much of a PITA is it?

Ill be cleaning the oil seperator and ICV while I'm there and replacing any gaskets, is there anything else I should do while in there?

Would it be worth taking the throttle bodies off for a clean or would I be inviting problems?

Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
Shouldn't be a PITA job at all, iv done it on a s13 before under the car in my garden. i know you want to do a few things so from the top might be better but i just jacked the front nice and high, good stands under the car. Disconnect the batt, two wires off the starter and 2 bolts. took a few hours but the bolts took a while to budge, putting it back together took 20 min.
Oh i did fracture my wrist doing it tho

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers Sideways-ste think I'll still go from the top but nice to know it can be done easy from below, I'll see how I get on. Have a decent set of stands myself so might have a look below before I start into it.

Did you have to drop anything from underneath when doing urs?

·
Registered
95 Posts
no i was lucky enough i didn't have to drop any thing, the top bolf was in a tight spot and i actually got a spanner on that and looped an other round it and attackwd it from the top. Just hope who ever put it on didn't over-torque like the issue i had

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can imagine judging by the other bolts I'v come across that I may get myself some wrist supports too, along with a bleep machine!

·
Registered
137 Posts
Had a good view of mine goin in today. The biggest thing seems to be the manifold and all hoses in the way. Once they are off should be grand. Also the starter is held on with torx bits so have them before you go at it. Size E12 and E14 for the box, not sure which is the starter

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Excellent lads, yeah I think I have them torx sockets, will make sure before I start though.

Hey blusrule, did you get anything else done around that area while you were getting the starter done?

Take much time?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I was putting the entire engine into the car as an engine swap. Didn't actually take it all apart. Looks like there are a lot of hoses under the manifold so that will take most of your time. Two bolts hold the starter in, and a guide pin. Bit of copper grease on the pin and should fly in!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not so bad, ah I have time on my side so shouldn't be a problem taking my time. Cheers for the quick replies.

Are ya doing a transplant into e36 or e30?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ah yeah it's actually grand if you can take your time doing these jobs. Not as hard then!

Putting it into my e36 320i shell, Its the one in my profile pic. Think I have a build thread aswell. Can't wait to have it going!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts