BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
First post from me.
I was wondering if any of you are running an E36 M3 in Ireland. I'd like to hear what you think of the car to drive and also about things like insurance & running costs.
I was running an M3 over in the US (the 240 bhp version) and was toying with the idea of doing so here - for a while at least. Has anyone driven the both versions? I was wondering if there is much difference in the driving apart from the horsepower.
cheers,
hartytkd.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Brian on here is driving an immaculate 95 M3 - he's finding it easier on fuel than his old Integra too... I'm sure he'll let you know how he's getting on.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Hi harty,

I've just insured my 3.0 M3 for another year. Fully comp insurance with St.Pauls €1954 full no claims, 29yo, a €400 reduction on last years cover.

I have done 17k miles since i purchased it this time last year, most of this was driving to and from work in Naas as i live in Mountmellick. Racking up this sort of mileage takes it's toll on the bank balance and i was filling the tank every two or three days. Thankfully i work from home now so i get nearly a week of driving from a full tank, a big difference as you can imagine. Doing high mileage means shorter service intervals so the green lights don't stay lit for long.
I've had to replace the AFM, which was the biggest expense, always good to have a few quid spare if something like that goes wrong. Can't say i've regretted my purchase for a minute though and hopefully now i can give the car some TLC and tasty upgrades.

www.bobs-shack.com
UUCMotorwerks & Forgeline wheels

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, that a big insurance premium. Would be even worse for me as I'm 26.

I see a a fair few M3s on Autotrader.ie for E15k and below - a lot of them seem to be imports from the UK for some reason.

What's an AFM by the way?

Gavin.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
You'll probably get a quote from XSDirect - but you'll have a 4K excess... not the policy to have if you're likely to stack the car, or if you don't have 4k lying around...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Touch wood I wouldn't stuff it in a wall! Though I would enjoy burying the throttle at roundabouts..

Tks for the advice about insurance, I'll ring and see what they will quote me.

Another thing that concerns me is the road tax - E1,300/year for 3.0/3.2 litre makes the M3 an expensive car to keep on the road!

Gavin.

·
Administrator - E46 M3
1,834 Posts
Road tax is slightly less on the 3.0 - think its 1100 or thereabouts. Great car with plenty of power. Insurance obviously being the most expensive part of owning one for most [:-banghead].

From what I can see, any for sale over here, are for sale on UK plates. Think I saw one BMWCC one for sale on Irish plates though. So take a look at the UK autotrader, and book yourself some flights to the UK

If you've driven the US model, you know pretty much what they are like, although now you'll get 6 throttle bodies instead of 1 :) and a free-er flowing exhaust.

Make sure you get one with leather and a/c. Apparently none have traction control, but I did see 1 or 2 in the UK with the traction control - but its for girls anyway ;) and believe it or not I recently saw one with the rear side windows being electric !

I don't find my one bad on juice at all - although I have noticed you get more MPG if you ad octane boosters to the 95 octane fuel.

'95 M3

B

·
0 Posts
I was running a 96 M3 Evo there for a while - some of the lads will have seen her but I let her go. MPG was around or so which is good for a 3.2l.

Isurance 1500 fully comp, road tax 1350 or so. Basically it was 3k before you drove it on the road and as I was starting to up my mileage to around 30 / 35k per year it would have been madness to try and run it full time. Plus the state of the raods were horrific - you will only realise how bad when you travel them in a serious sports cars - shocks trying to come through the bonnet.

Hence the chane to a Passat Tdi. Running an M3 is great fun and if you have a regular sensible fun commute then go for it.

I will be back in the M camp but it will not be an everyday car again - it'll be a weekend warrior approach.

M

1996 328i Coupe - Now sold
1996 M3 Evo

1 - 9 of 9 Posts