BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I plan on doing a run of these soon pending numbers.

It is a common problem concerning the control gear that 'parks' the mirror. Due to a pretty sharp root angle on the original gears, the teeth can break off rendering the park function useless.

The new gear is a slightly revised design, in that the root is smoother leading to a stronger tooth. The gears will be made from hardened En24 steel and a direct replacement.

Gears are not handed(left/right) - Thanks Danny, so that will simplify the process a little.

This part is also small, adding to its complexity and tolerances a bit. Its just 18mm long, and around 8mm in diameter. (see pic in link)

Parts will be made via cnc to high tolerance, so no problems there.

I have no Idea on price yet as its not really a money making affair, more so to get like minded enthusiasts out of a spot but I would be aiming for around the 40euro mark per gear shaft - there is a lot of setup work with these, and initial design math even with cncs involved.

If interested, stick your name down, Ill let this run for a month or so,

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41610

Thanks,

Brian,

(Thanks Dave also)

·
Registered
674 Posts
Hi Brian are you able to make control gears for the power folding mirrors that can be found on non M e39s and e38s?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I may well be interested in these. Mine are ok now, but they do go. I've allready had to rebuild both mirrors!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've come over from another forum, but would defo be interested in it. Could I be pm'd with details if you get enough interest. Cheers

1 - 9 of 9 Posts