BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So went out to the car dis mornin to warm it up. It was a bit slow to start but still started no bother. Went out 10 to 15 mins later nd car wasn't running. Tried to start it but battery was dead. Jumped started it off the girlfriends car nd started no problem but once disconnected it ran for about a minute r so nd died again. Notice the asc and battery light nd 1 other light was on while it ran for that minute after the jump start. Car was driving perfect the day before but I had jumped started another car yesterday evening and hadn't driven it since but had started it bout 930 last nite to move to another Parking spot. I'm lost to wat the problem is all comments nd info appreciated

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
Have your battery tested, it could be knackered. Any motor factors will test it for you. The cold weather is always a good test of whether your battery is good or bad. If the battery checks out ok then it could well be the alternator.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Will check it once I get home there is a ford battery of all things in it so that wouldn't help either. I hate fords?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Will check it once I get home there is a ford battery of all things in it so that wouldn't help either. I hate fords?

Stupid comment.
Ford were actually one of the first manufacturers to introduce Ca tech as standard in batteries (circa 1998 in Focus) and were light years ahead of BMW in 'smart alternators' in that era.

Your problem is most likely alternator but... I hope it's more

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Stupid comment.
Ford were actually one of the first manufacturers to introduce Ca tech as standard in batteries (circa 1998 in Focus) and were light years ahead of BMW in 'smart alternators' in that era.

A bit petty wouldn't you say? Fords reputation for being comprehensively crap wasn't ill founded.

·
Registered
538 Posts
@Bavarian care, what's your problem? "I hope it's more"?????

What a STUPID comment to make.

Calcium batteries were made mainstream by Ford in 1998
Saying that 'Ford' batteries or even suggesting that Ford batteries are less good than OE BMW batteries is stupid.
BMW have used Banner plus others as their suppliers.
'Smart charging' was utilised by ford approx 5 yrs before BMW did.

That's why

·
Registered
538 Posts
A bit petty wouldn't you say? Fords reputation for being comprehensively crap wasn't ill founded.
And BMWs reputation for being comprehensively crap is proven now too. ?!

Wasted Spark system introduced by ford in 1989 - best low cost ignition system plus first by mainstream manufacturer.

Smart charging plus Ca battery dealt with by above comment.

--
As an aside- what is wrong with people that they think BMW are 'the best' with everything?!
They are cars that you can basically fall in love with but be real-- maybe everyone forgets Nicasil, chains (N46) and yet more chains (N47)

·
Registered
100 Posts
Calcium batteries were made mainstream by Ford in 1998
Saying that 'Ford' batteries or even suggesting that Ford batteries are less good than OE BMW batteries is stupid.
BMW have used Banner plus others as their suppliers.
'Smart charging' was utilised by ford approx 5 yrs before BMW did.

That's why

I couldn't care less what you think about ford batteries. The issue I have with your original post is where you state that "I hope it's more" implying that you would be pleased if the OP was faced with a potentially larger bill than an alternator replacement.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I couldn't care less what you think about ford batteries. The issue I have with your original post is where you state that "I hope it's more" implying that you would be pleased if the OP was faced with a potentially larger bill than an alternator replacement.

The reason for that was because he implied that because it was a 'ford' battery it was sh1t... I'm making the point that if someone thinks that way then they deserve more...

And I don't really care what you think either dude

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
And BMWs reputation for being comprehensively crap is proven now too. ?!

Wasted Spark system introduced by ford in 1989 - best low cost ignition system plus first by mainstream manufacturer.

Smart charging plus Ca battery dealt with by above comment.

--
As an aside- what is wrong with people that they think BMW are 'the best' with everything?!
They are cars that you can basically fall in love with but be real-- maybe everyone forgets Nicasil, chains (N46) and yet more chains (N47)

This is all very petty Eddie, the guy has a problem with his car, doesn't like ford batteries, I wouldn't want anything associated with ford in my car either, it's hardly an unreasonable thing to say on a BMW enthusiast forum.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This is all very petty Eddie, the guy has a problem with his car, doesn't like ford batteries, I wouldn't want anything associated with ford in my car either, it's hardly an unreasonable thing to say on a BMW enthusiast forum.
Alright David. But it doesn't make sense.
Ford introduced a lot of stuff. Ford LA batteries were higher quality than some of the BMW LA batteries.

It's the same as saying 'I wouldn't have anything to do with FIAT' because if that were the case then there would be no 530d...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stupid comment.

Wat a wanker your r for saying "I hope it's more". It's called a joke nd it looks like ya just don't have a sense of humour. It's a BMW website and I bet 99%of ppl that read dis had a little smile. Nd that's wats life is for to b happy in and not to take it too seriously. Nd then ya go spouting of facts nd s**t about battery's get a life. If ya have nothing good to say,say nothing at all.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Wat a wanker your r for saying "I hope it's more". It's called a joke nd it looks like ya just don't have a sense of humour. It's a BMW website and I bet 99%of ppl that read dis had a little smile. Nd that's wats life is for to b happy in and not to take it too seriously. Nd then ya go spouting of facts nd s**t about battery's get a life. If ya have nothing good to say,say nothing at all.

Perhaps. But it's insulting to people's intelligence to use the BMW brand snobbery thing against Ford batteries.
Neither Ford or BMW make batteries.
And BMW enthusiast site or not, that should not get in the way of facts.
The alternator in this case may be supplied by a major Ford alternator supplier too... Bosch.
——

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Perhaps. But it's insulting to people's intelligence to use the BMW brand snobbery thing against Ford batteries.
Neither Ford or BMW make batteries.
And BMW enthusiast site or not, that should not get in the way of facts.
The alternator in this case may be supplied by a major Ford alternator supplier too... Bosch.
——

I never said ford was better then bmw I just don't personally like ford as I've had no luck wit them nd neither has anyone I know.My own preference really which I'm entitled to as I love Toyota nd Nissan as a brand too nd wouldnt want there battery's in my bmw either.I'm just amazed that ya got so odd over a ford battery. I presume your quite young with the comment you left about "I hope it's more"

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
For a bit of balance - wife had a 1.7 Ford Puma for 5 years - it was utterly reliable, a riot to drive/handle and OE consumables cheap and easy to find. Sold it @ 12 years old still running perfectly with the original Motorcraft battery...:)
I also ran a 1.1 Fiesta during the college years, drove the hole out of it with 0 maintenance and again utter reliability.

As for some of the money pit BMW's that have been in the extended family....:rolleyes:

Most off-topic post ever I'd wager....:biggrin1:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
To get back on topic the ford battery is fine after gettin it tested so hopefully just the alternator unless I've bin jinks??. I hate Bosch?hope no1 minds me saying that.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts