BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, so this afternoon I decided to check oil+fluid levels and noticed that the coolant level had dropped slightly. I would say it reads above the minimum mark by about 25%. Now seeing that this is a closed system I am suddenly very worried that there's something amiss here. The last time I checked was probably 3/4 weeks ago, I know I know, that's stupid. And it was reading quite close to full I reckon, certainly above halfway.

Now, as for leaks, and symptoms. There are no obvious leaks, no pools of coolant on the driveway and certainly no over heating of any kind. There's also no warning lights on the dash either.

I did a visual inspection, and did notice some white powder that had dripped down from the expansion tank cap, which me being a clever fellow, assumed is coolant. I know the whole coolant side of these cars are notorious weak spots, would replacing the cap as a starting point be a worthwhile fix? And if so where would I get one? Main dealer?

·
Banned
53 Posts
The level could be different if the temperatures were different. Top it up and keep an eye on it. If the level keeps going down it is a leak. I would keep a close eye on it maybe it was just a temperature difference from the start. Also keep an eye on your temp guage that its running at the right temp

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
might not be from the cap

have this problem myself and although its pooling around the top of the expansion tank and could look as though its coming from the cap, the hose that runs from the expansion tank to the rocker cover was the culprit.

Apparently an incredibly common problem on these cars

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
As always guys, I really appreciate the advice. Will go and check the levels at lunch. I didn't notice any pools of coolant, just slight white marks running from the cap down the expansion tank. I've ordered a new cap already and will be picking up coolant from BMW today.

I've been watching the temps like a hawk, so they've been fine also. Will take a better look at the source of this leak and I'llupdate with photos if needs be.

Cheers again!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well this morning, I went out to top up the coolant that I got yesterday. It seems it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I had thought. It took maybe half a cup of coolant, perhaps less. Engine was cool, hadn't been on since 6pm yesterday. Will keep yee updated, as I have the cap on order and should be here tomorrow.

Cheers again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts