BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey hey,

Got an e46 325ci which is dropping revs. Example. I'm in 4th or 5th at about 3,500rpm (50-55mph) and when I accelerate the revs jump to about 4,750-5000rpm and then drops back to 4,500rpm before the power kicks in.

It might be the MAF but I am unsure that I need to replace this as it might not be the cause. Hope its not the clutch as thats expensive :(

Anyone seen this problem before ???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking that however I brought it out today and put it in third and pulled off. Revs down and then died (good sign that). No problem with the gear change and the clutch isnt that high. So I dont think its the clutch. Any other ideas?

·
E39 530i
1,491 Posts
Sounds like the clutch to me too. A faulty MAF will definitely not cause those symptoms. Also, you have a self-adjusting clutch (SAC) so the distance of pedal travel will remain constant throughout it's life.

What's the mileage of your car? Another possibility is that the crank rear main seal is leaking oil on to the clutch surface causing slippage. But it definitely sounds mechanical to me anyway.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
110,000 miles on the clock. I'll check out the drive way for oil when I get home but I dont think its leaking. Hope its not the clutch though. They're expensive to get done.

Ball park figure for a new clutch (installed) ???

I might upload a youtube vid of it on my way home tonight. Movies paints a 1000 words :)

·
The rasp is addictive!!
2,713 Posts
110,000 miles on the clock. I'll check out the drive way for oil when I get home but I dont think its leaking. Hope its not the clutch though. They're expensive to get done.

Ball park figure for a new clutch (installed) ???

I might upload a youtube vid of it on my way home tonight. Movies paints a 1000 words :)
I also think its the clutch.

at that mileage you may need to replace flywheel aswell if it has never been done. I paid 600 for clutch and flywheel for 325ci. then about 300 labour

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also think its the clutch.

at that mileage you may need to replace flywheel aswell if it has never been done. I paid 600 for clutch and flywheel for 325ci. then about 300 labour
Ouch €900. Where did you get the parts from ???

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do they have a web site I can check. Googe "M&G dublin" doesn't get a page...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts