BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Just curious about the water pump in my e46 325ci. The car has 120,000 miles, and the history only shows the thermostat as being changed(I have the old one in the boot), now as far as I can tell, the car is running fine, no overheating, the waterpump doesn't make any funny noises when the engine is on, but should I consider getting it replaced as a preventative measure?

And I suppose the big question is how much should I expect to pay. I'd rather focus on getting scheduled work done, than look at any other mods for now!

I'm based in south Dublin, in case anyone knows anywhere close.

·
The rasp is addictive!!
2,713 Posts
It should be replaced at that mileage and you should also do the rest of the cooling system.

pumps are not that expensive I paid 50. You should do the rad and expansion tank aswell

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It should be replaced at that mileage and you should also do the rest of the cooling system.

pumps are not that expensive I paid 50. You should do the rad and expansion tank aswell
Cheers, I doubt this is a DIY job though? How much would you expect to pay for a decent indy to do this job?

I do a bit of my own servicing and work if I can, but I'd guess this would be a bit beyond my skill level.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Cheers, I doubt this is a DIY job though? How much would you expect to pay for a decent indy to do this job? I do a bit of my own servicing and work if I can, but I'd guess this would be a bit beyond my skill level.
It is a DIY job but the bleeding of the cooling system has to be done right to prevent airlocks. That's the bit that scares most DIYers.

·
Not that interested..
509 Posts
you can definately do this yourself. Just make sure you have everything you need, including a large basin for draining the coolant. I would recommend doing the rad and expansion tank while you're at it too. I did the thermostat and expansion tank over the last month but wish I did the water pump and rad at the same time. I just didnt have the time to do the whole system so now im going to have to bleed the system again and go through the process, not to mention paying another 20 quid for coolant.

If you're uncomfortable doing the work yourself, I can recommend Gary in chelmsford too.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
M design did most of the work I couldnt do to it in Lusk north dublin. He has records of the work done to it and has excellent rates. Pm me if you want his number

1 - 7 of 7 Posts