BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thinking about putting them on the E46.. don't think I've had a car I havnt put coilovers on yet :eek:

There seems to be plenty of FK retailers out there, and I'm told they (FK) also produce other brands (namely prosport/jom), and probably more?

I fitted the prosport coilovers on an audi A4 1.9tdi and found the rear didn't go down as much as I wanted(even with the perch switched over I could get it slightly lower, not much though)... I could have the front along with the sump sitting on the ground if I wished. Didn't find the ride uncomfortable either, but different cars different scenarios.

Havnt a massive piggy bank so anyone experience with FK/ any of the above and having a nice drop equal around?

Photos help to :cool:

EDIT.. bit of research here there seems a lot of people to be in favour of V-MAXX?

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Vmaxx are bollix. Jom bluelines are good..but with any cheapish coilover you just won't get it level in the back. Doesn't bother me really. I prefer the nose down, arse up look even with adjusters out :)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vmaxx are bollix. Jom bluelines are good..but with any cheapish coilover you just won't get it level in the back. Doesn't bother me really. I prefer the nose down, arse up look even with adjusters out :)
I'm a real picky fu^%er when it comes to droppin a car down, I like em in line and down, and a few spacers and stretched tyres out to the arch :D. the ride doesn't bother me an awful lot.. I've driven cars with pure track suspension on more than I have cars with normal :eek: H&R competition spec ones I had on one car, set me back 1,500 yoyos years ago.. was like it was a bar welded for the suspension :p...

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
this is a side pic of mine at the moment.. Its lowered some bit on shocks and springs as far as I'm aware.. I've yet to take wheels off and investigate... may do that tomorrow but I think I want to go slightly lower and space wheels out a tad more.

Wouldn't mind it sitting something similar to this: http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=41847

how it currently sits:

Attachments

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just have fitted FK's on my mate e46.

The only problem is that if you want stretch tyres on your rims, you can't use adjusters at the back. That the lowest you can go on FK's with adjusters.
Rear rim et 26 9J 205/40 tyres

Jom's are much softer on the back.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I've had both FK's and JOM's in my e36.

I found the FK's really hard and bouncy on the road plus after a few week one of the front springs snapped and a rear shock started leaking.

The JOM's are way more comfortable and I found the rear did drop lower than the FK's.

A friend got FK's for his vectra and he had trouble with his also and ended up going for JOM's, so in my opinion dont go FK go with JOM Blueline.

Hope this helps you make up your mind.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Watch out for FK kits that come with no rear adjusters. I bought a set and had to return them as they were useless without rear adjustment!

I got another set of JOM Blue lines and I have the front and back down as low as it goes and its still comfortable - no issues on my e46.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've had both FK's and JOM's in my e36.

I found the FK's really hard and bouncy on the road plus after a few week one of the front springs snapped and a rear shock started leaking.

The JOM's are way more comfortable and I found the rear did drop lower than the FK's.

A friend got FK's for his vectra and he had trouble with his also and ended up going for JOM's, so in my opinion dont go FK go with JOM Blueline.
That's some horror stories :D
I've had FK's on my both e46 and never had any problems with them. One set was in my daily 328ci and other set in my drift 330i. After many months /miles of abuse on back road or track, they passed nct without any issues ;)
I've had them fitted in my 3 previous e36's (2 road cars and one drift car). At the moment I've FK's fitted in my car and JOM's in my mates car. Same wheels, same height, same tyres sizes but his rear tyres are destroyed because rear end is too soft and arch is rubbing side wall of the tyre on uneven surfaces.
When your spring snapped and you had a leak on your strut - did you bring them to the seller? There's at least one year warranty (2 years for some sets) with them. What seller said when you bring them back to him?
In last few years I've had FK's, JOM's, Racelands and Ta Technix - that's the shitty ones. I've also had Koni and Bilsteins. IMO if you are looking for stiffnes - go for FK's. Best value for the money. You can get them locally, if you don't want the hassle of shipping. In case of shite you only need to bring them back to the shop.

There's at least 10 sets of FK's in our club (drift and road cars) and no one had any issues with them yet ;) I've fitted at least 5 sets myself.
Watch out for FK kits that come with no rear adjusters. I bought a set and had to return them as they were useless without rear adjustment!
Can you explain me what do you mean by useless?
That's how they look without rear adjusters on e46 saloon with 9J et 26 wheel and 205/40/17 tyre:

Adjusters costs 10-15euro ;)

We'll have to remember that they all are shitty cheap coilovers mostly made in china or taiwan :D

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
That's some horror stories :D
I've had FK's on my both e46 and never had any problems with them. One set was in my daily 328ci and other set in my drift 330i. After many months /miles of abuse on back road or track, they passed nct without any issues ;)
I've had them fitted in my 3 previous e36's (2 road cars and one drift car). At the moment I've FK's fitted in my car and JOM's in my mates car. Same wheels, same height, same tyres sizes but his rear tyres are destroyed because rear end is too soft and arch is rubbing side wall of the tyre on uneven surfaces.
When your spring snapped and you had a leak on your strut - did you bring them to the seller? There's at least one year warranty (2 years for some sets) with them. What seller said when you bring them back to him?
In last few years I've had FK's, JOM's, Racelands and Ta Technix - that's the shitty ones. I've also had Koni and Bilsteins. IMO if you are looking for stiffnes - go for FK's. Best value for the money. You can get them locally, if you don't want the hassle of shipping. In case of shite you only need to bring them back to the shop.

There's at least 10 sets of FK's in our club (drift and road cars) and no one had any issues with them yet ;) I've fitted at least 5 sets myself.

Can you explain me what do you mean by useless?
That's how they look without rear adjusters on e46 saloon with 9J et 26 wheel and 205/40/17 tyre:

Adjusters costs 10-15euro ;)

We'll have to remember that they all are shitty cheap coilovers mostly made in china or taiwan :D

Needs more lows.no need for that stretch running that height imo

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
Needs more lows.no need for that stretch running that height imo
You can get your hand in there, he needs a slap of the slam stick :D

Also, might be my dodgy eyes but a lot of camber needs to be adjusted on the rear axle!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Said id crash this thread instead of starting a new one.!

Will be in the market for budget coilovers myself in the near future. Just wondering which will give a nice drop, has adjustable damper settings and maintains as much ride comfort as possible.?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts