BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

Within the last 2 weeks ive started hearing a rattling noise from my 2000 318Ci :(

I notice it happens only when i put the car in 1st & 2nd gear, it almost sounds like something is loose, i had a look under the car to the best i could, but couldnt see anything. So i wanted to see if anyone else had the same problem?

Here is a link to a video of it i tried to record :D - jump to 0.27 seconds http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6eZSEWEApao

Now my spoiler question!

I bought the car with the spoiler on it and now i dont like it, i want to get a lip spoiler, so i wanted to know the best way to remove the spoiler. I had a quick look and its not bolted on, it seems to be glued on.

All suggestions welcome, here is a pic of the spoiler:
http://i945.photobucket.com/albums/ad299/dead_battery10/spoilerphoto.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Holy fuck.....that sounds awfully odd....

hard to tell on the video...

could be a bearing gone on the back of a pulley? if its internal then it really does sound bad!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Damo,

Thx for the reply, the car has some sort of sport exhaust on it, so could also be that? I will check out the bearings like you said on the pulley.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Hi Damo,

Thx for the reply, the car has some sort of sport exhaust on it, so could also be that? I will check out the bearings like you said on the pulley.

Cheers :)
nope i wouldnt imagine so...its a proper movement noise there....something spinning of some sort...

is it louder when shes cold?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Damo,

Nope she is not louder when cold, it doesnt happen when i go over bumps or anything, just the transition into 1st gear and 2nd. :confused:

Niall

·
MonsterShaft Member
540 Posts
hoping the noise isn't internal, but just a long shot here are the engine/gearbox mounts in good condition, exhaust mounts also, maybe lack of gearbox oil eventhough I doubt it's that? it does sound horrible on that video

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi robbie,

Yes I assume they all are! I passed my NCT last week, and they had a good rummage around under the car so I assume if there was a problem they would have seen it, I will get it checked out by a mechanic and see what they say, i feel as though it could be the exhaust shaking? Its an old sport one apparantly:confused:

Thx for the reply's all :)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
It sounds like a possible gearbox failure but its very difficulf to say for sure. Have you any rough idea where its coming from, front or back?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Rich,

Yes deffo coming from the back of the car :(

I lay underneath while my gf slowly placed it into 1st gear but I couldn't see anything rattle, my best bet would be to get someone to throw it up on a platform and have a proper look>? Ill have another gander later and try get more info for you guys, ill take some pics too.

Cheers
Niall

·
Registered
609 Posts
for the spoiler, get some piano wire/fishing line and slip it in between the spoiler and bootlid and cut through the sealer. or get a heat gun and heat the sealer up.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
If its at the back then you could be looking at a diff problem. Id check out the coupling on the prop shaft and the centre bearing too to see if theres any sign of them being the cause.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Cheers Kev! i gave the fishing line a go yesterday and it works perfect just need stronger fishing line :D

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi Rich, i got under the car ( as best as i could ) and noticed when the propshaft is turning i hear the noise, so possibly its the culprit! can propshafts be oiled? maybe it needs some WD-40 lol

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsDaSA0ZFk

Check out the 2nd comment, sounds like the same problem: @Carnalismo88 yes... the same happened to me, usually when i was driving forward and then stop and shift to reverse it would make that clunk noise...how i fixed it? got the flex disc replace and...bingo...! (flex disc AKA guibo)

Im assuming the GUIBO is the propshaft?

·
Registered
165 Posts
Just came across this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhsDaSA0ZFk

Check out the 2nd comment, sounds like the same problem: @Carnalismo88 yes... the same happened to me, usually when i was driving forward and then stop and shift to reverse it would make that clunk noise...how i fixed it? got the flex disc replace and...bingo...! (flex disc AKA guibo)

Im assuming the GUIBO is the propshaft?
Guibo is a rubber disc between the propshaft and gearbox. Google it and you'll be able to find a pic easily.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
A guibo is the part i was refering to when i said "Coupling" and when they are on the way out they can make mad noises. can you take a photo of yours and see if theres any obvious signs of wear on it? It looks like this and its on the end of the proshaft.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts