BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car is due its first service shortly (30k miles from new) and its still under original 3 year warranty (expires end of may 2011), so should it be serviced in a main dealer or with my own non main dealer mechanic who also has diag equipment etc.

I'm not bothered about full services history by main dealer on the car, however come May i want to get extended warranty for the 5 years/60k miles package to cover shocks, discs etc (which over time the cover will cost less then new replacement parts due to pot holes, bad roads, wear and tear etc etc) but for the extended warranty, do BMW bring the car in for a check to see what its like before they cover it and if they see its been serviced but not in a main dealer will they refuse cover?

Also, plan to get the car remapped shortly also (rempap day on here), so if its remapped, and the car is brought in for an extended warranty check before cover, can they see if anything has been done? Somewhere I read that your car can not be modified in anyway, unless carried out by an Appproved BMW agent.

There are numerous warranty and extended warranty threads on the forum but most of them seem to be from 2007-2009 before BMW seem to have got sorted with their new warranty scheme and none of them answer these questions that I can find.

Just for the record here again, the link to the BMW Ireland extended warranty site is http://www.bmw-warranty.ie

Their extended warranty options seems to be:
Driveline
Named Components
Comprehensive

I don't want to turn this into a BMW extended warranty discussion whether to purchase or not, cause I know in the long term it will be worth it, but I just would like option on what to do with the first service so I can get cover long term and if anything on the first service is covered under the existing warranty?

thanks.

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yip, computer telling me first service coming up in 800 miles :)
30-32k intervals...

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Get a main dealer to do it as it will stand to the car for when ever you want to sell it on.I also think it you wan to extend the warranty you will have to
have the work done by a main dealer.

·
Premium Member
3,788 Posts
Yip, computer telling me first service coming up in 800 miles :)
30-32k intervals...
Surely it should have gotten a brake fluid change (every two years) or microfilters in 2010?

And fairly sure the oil service is time based aswell as distance based?

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
when picked up from the main dealer (UK) May 2010 the questions were asked and was told it was ok until first service. I'll go back through the paperwork, the particle filter may have been changed before purchase.
I asked about the oil and they said that engine was now on 30-32k intervals.

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I also think it you wan to extend the warranty you will have to have the work done by a main dealer.
Figured as much, if I get the service inclusive plus also (pads, discs etc) It won't cost really anything extra going to the main dealer so that will be the plan. I'll be selling on the car by the time it hits 60k anyway.

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
My 3 Series diesel is of similar age with 42k miles and is going for it's 3rd service in the next two months. Irrespective of what the OBC or dealer would tell me, etc I still get at least one oil and filter change every 12 months. Also manufacturers can be anal on this when it comes to warranty claims.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bought a 08 520d M Sport in UK 2 months ago, had 20 k miles on it, previous owner had service inclusive and only managed to get 1 service in- Jan 10, with 14k miles. At 20 k miles it was displaying that another service due in 4500, at 21500 miles now showing 4800, so depends on type of driving.

I tried to get another service in before the 3 year service inclusive expired (feb 11), but BMW here wouldnt do it on the basis that the car had to be due within 1500 miles.
On the plus side the 1 year AUC warranty by BMW UK covers me until Jan 12, had issue with rear lights and fixed by Quinns.

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bought a 08 520d M Sport in UK 2 months ago.1 service in- Jan 10, with 14k miles. At 20 k miles it was displaying that another service due in 4500, at 21500 miles now showing 4800.
What month was your car originally registered? Do you have the old or the new style (LCI?) gear box?

It seems strange that 2 similar model cars, same year have different times due for service:confused:

·
Registered
86 Posts
What month was your car originally registered? Do you have the old or the new style (LCI?) gear box?

It seems strange that 2 similar model cars, same year have different times due for service:confused:

Its a manual, so maybe that has something to do with it?
Had a 08 Auto with the new gearbox before, and it was showing a service circa 20k.
Have had a number of E60's manual and Auto over the past few years and the service interval is always circa 20k.

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok, so auto vs manual..worth noting.
Only other thing is that the car WAS serviced before I picked it up @13k, but I do remember them saying it wasn't and that first service was due at 30-32k.Hmm.

·
Registered
86 Posts
If it wa serviced with a main dealer over there, it will show up on bmw systems over here. They should be able to tell you, all they look for is the chassis number.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Just a word of warning , as some of you will know I work for an independant , and in my opinion , the service intervals on most modern cars is CRAZY!!!!!!!!
If you have any respect for you car get it serviced at least once a year its not that expensive .
every single turbo I have changed was on engines with very dirty oil or airfilter or blocked breather or all three!
Its not just the lubrication of the oil , as it ages it becomes more and more contaimiated and i belive this is what is causing all the premature oil leaks ,
we, have 20 year old cars being sevrviced with some with large number of miles on them , and they are leak free , then we get low milage couple of year old car leaking oil everywhere .
I know some of you may not belive this and dont believe major manufacters would do somthing so silly as to over extend service intervals ,but trust me I am an out and out bmw nut but all my cars get serviced at least once a year and no more that 10k miles .

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
Just a word of warning , as some of you will know I work for an independant , and in my opinion , the service intervals on most modern cars is CRAZY!!!!!!!!
If you have any respect for you car get it serviced at least once a year its not that expensive .
every single turbo I have changed was on engines with very dirty oil or airfilter or blocked breather or all three!
Its not just the lubrication of the oil , as it ages it becomes more and more contaimiated and i belive this is what is causing all the premature oil leaks ,
we, have 20 year old cars being sevrviced with some with large number of miles on them , and they are leak free , then we get low milage couple of year old car leaking oil everywhere .
I know some of you may not belive this and dont believe major manufacters would do somthing so silly as to over extend service intervals ,but trust me I am an out and out bmw nut but all my cars get serviced at least once a year and no more that 10k miles .
Totally agree with you.I change the oil in all y car every 4-5k normally
a little over 100euro.
I know so many lads that spend lots on waxes'polishes etc and spend evry chance they get cleaning their pride and joy but when it comes to services they just have no interest.Some say it costs o much to get it done.
If you just want a basic oil and filter change it should cost you no more than 160euro and you should be able to do the rest yourself.

·
Cruise Control Always On
627 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Getting back to the original question - is the service inclusive or the extended warranty dependent on the service due being done in a main dealer before the current warranty expires?

thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts