BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

E60 2008 520D - Tuningbox ?

15K views 25 replies 14 participants last post by  Davem1 
#1 · (Edited)
Thinking of installing a tuning box to up the torque and bhp.
Has anyone got one of these boxes fitted? Like to get some feedback.

Tuningbox.com shows the performance figures as:

default: 177/350 HP/Nm
upgrade: 211/410 HP/Nm

Thanks.

#2 ·
Get on to Martin on here (AutoRemap).I got my 520 M Sport remapped yesterday (dont know much about them tuning boxes but from what i did hear they are bad news)and its some difference :)..It also gives you extra mpg didnt look at that yet tho im having too much fun with the extra bhp :)
As i said get on to Martin,he is dead on and knows his stuff and will tell you all you need to know..

#6 ·
there is no BS, ask martin as I got onto him myself about

NEVER did I say that they detected it, I said they reflashed it for whatever reason that had themselves.

no need to be so aggressive, especially when you are no in possession of the facts, it just makes you look ignorant

OP - if you don't get your car serviced at a franchise there is nothing to worry about i'm sure. however no one told me that you cannot bring your car to a dealers (and mine is in warranty so why wouldn't i)

#8 ·
You said they picked it up? You also said that a remap will not survive a major service?

Those statements are not true and you can bring your car to a franchised dealer for service and warranty work without fear.

I also don't think it's fair to say what Chris said makes him appear ignorant, in fact he most likely knows more about BMW's than the vast majority on here.

I think you were just unlucky to have had your ecu reflashed to be honest.

Both

#9 ·
well - being unlucky will cost the best part of 300 to sort so will leave a bad taste.

there are plenty of other ways of disagreeing without saying that is total BS

other forums I wouldn't care, but I'm surprised about it here.

still, no point in a flaming or drifting off topic

bygones, etc

#10 ·
Ok, I take your point.

I must admit I would be fairly peeved if I had my car mapped only for it to be wiped by the dealer!!

Are maps bought as individual files now? If that's the case then perhaps a tuning box may be a better option alright.

Richie.

#11 · (Edited)
Firstly I thought I would pop in here since my name was mentioned

These tuning boxes are the only ones worth buying in my option, there are lots of cheap versions around but most just over fuel the car.

with respect to martin, your new tune will not survive a major service at a dealers. mine was going great until I got it serviced where it WAS picked up and now reflashed back to stock. if you are happy enough to pay for it after every major service, then go for it
there is no BS, ask martin as I got onto him myself about

NEVER did I say that they detected it, I said they reflashed it for whatever reason that had themselves.

no need to be so aggressive, especially when you are no in possession of the facts, it just makes you look ignorant

OP - if you don't get your car serviced at a franchise there is nothing to worry about i'm sure. however no one told me that you cannot bring your car to a dealers (and mine is in warranty so why wouldn't i)
I have done many a car that have went to a main dealer for a service afterwards and this has not happen. When something new has to be coded to the car or they can't get something to work they sometimes flash the ecu. What else was done on the service? In fact not only the main dealers do this any garage with an autologic machine can also do this and I'm sure there are other that can as well

You may have got on to me I don't remember but I never done a second read on the car so how do you know they updated the file or if they just upload the original file. If the later is the case I can upload the tuned file again at no cost. If they have updated the file its a new remap, this has been discussed here many times before. Its has happen me about twice out of all the cars I have done in the last 5 or 6 years but I think your first thing to do should be read the car and find out for sure ;)

Martin

#13 ·
just wanted to follow up on this thread. martin took a look at my car today and indeed the factory tune had been reflashed onto my car. however martin was able to re-apply the tuned version that he had initially done for no cost whatsoever

absolute top marks to martin and I can say any future tuning needs will be going through him

#19 ·
e60 520d remapped

hello all first post on this so heres my experience
ive a e60 520d m-sport with 101,000 km on clock . came with service pack so left it run out before i remapped.
stock is supposed to be 177 hp / 350 nM torque
remap supposed to be 207/210 hp / 405/410nM torque

i did a lot of research on web and finally went with Martin at Autoremap last week for no other reason than many recommended him.

i wanted to have something to compare before and after so did a few sample times on flat straight dry road at 2am both mornings. runs were done with aircon, radio and everything else turned off bar lights. car had 1/4 tank of diesel in it on first run and slightly less than half on second.
i was using iphone as stopwatch and driving so not exactly 100% accuracy but i tried to be as consistant as possible. all times were done from starting speed set by cruise control so as to be consistant. didnt bother with 0-60 times cos it doesnt really apply to real life driving- this remap is for passing out slow traffic not drag racing at lights.

prior to remap car was showing 43.3 mpg reset over 8 months ago. i have very short comute to work and most of use is around town(dublin) i probably have 1 long journey to kerry a month so all in all i think its fairly good mpg anyway

in short i concur with other posts that after remap i think engine runs smoother with defo better low end torque. here are before and after times in different gears.all speeds are in miles as car is english import

Speed Gear Time before Time after remap

20-45 2nd gear 4 sec 3.6
30-70 3rd 7.6 7.2
40-80 4th 12.5 11.8
40-70 5th 14 12.2
50-80 6th 19.2 16.9
50-80 5th 14 11.2
50-80 4th 9.8 8.3

through gears 2,3,4th
20-100mph 20.9 17.5
I did a return trip to kerry this week after remap and with full tank of diesel, two adults and dog and luggage car did 52.7mpg at constant 75 mph untill limerick but mpg dropped after due to traffic and passing out and by the time i got back to dublin mpg was at 49.5. did 650 km on that trip and needle was just under halfway at the end with computer showing 600km left in tank. im gonna leave it a few months to see if mpg stays improved but so far im very happy with the mpg results and the remap in general. hope this might give some usefull info to anyone whom is thinking of doing it. so far im a fan of the remap. hope this helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.