BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
E90 320d M Sport
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads,

Looking at picking up an '07 or '08 520d M Sport.

There's two local enough to me, both '07 lci going for decent money. However, they both have high milage - 170k and 180k. They both have service history and have enquired about the the timing chain issue both haven't been replaced but are running fine. Clutches have been replaced in both too.

Am I mad to even consider one with milage that high, or can that engine run comfortable into the 200s once it's maintained properly? One last thing, does the iDrive in lci 520ds come with bluetooth as standard as one has a parrot kit fitted and I'm not sure why if they have bluetooth as standard?

Cheers.

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
I wouldn't touch either at that mileage without the timing chains done TBH (or at least knock off the replacement cost).

Much would also be dependant on service histories/price too TBH.

Assume that the turbo may be near its end of life at those mileages....:nod:

Injectors/DPF filters etc. have a finite lifespan too remember.

·
E90 320d M Sport
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cheers. I'm up North for work now so prices are 2500 sterling for the 180k and 2800 sterling for the 170k one. I'll try arrange a test drive for both over the weekend and see how they drive, which is probably the best plan of action.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
In theory, a diesel should be well able to look forward to a long life starting out with that kind of mileage. I don't see a reason why this one wouldn't too, but with a big caveat.

As well as the timing chain replacement, by this kind of mileage I'd also expect turbo, injectors, HPFP, clutch, flywheel, etc. to be ready for replacement, in short order of not immediately. By this mileage, if any of them haven't been done in recent times I think you may expect them to be consumables over a short time period.

With these done, as regards the engine, the car should be good for another 100k+ but unfortunately these are all fairly big ticket jobs. It wouldn't be hard to spend more than the price of the car to do all these as preventative maintenance. There will likely be a steady trickle of bills for other consumables by then too, shocks, springs and the like.

A friend bought a leggy '08 one with decent history 5-6 years ago with 160k. After dropping a few grand in to some, but not all, of the items listed above he moved it on before it completely drained his wallet.

Reactions: Duff

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
BTW, BT wasn't standard on these, by and large. The exception may be very late e60's with the Business Edition pack - these were thrown in as incentive, especially to fleets in the UK, to clear remaining stocks before the arrival of the F10. Given that it was during the period that UK was most affected by the crash they had more knocking around than they would usually aim for in a run out period.

·
E90 320d M Sport
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In theory, a diesel should be well able to look forward to a long life starting out with that kind of mileage. I don't see a reason why this one wouldn't too, but with a big caveat.

As well as the timing chain replacement, by this kind of mileage I'd also expect turbo, injectors, HPFP, clutch, flywheel, etc. to be ready for replacement, in short order of not immediately. By this mileage, if any of them haven't been done in recent times I think you may expect them to be consumables over a short time period.

With these done, as regards the engine, the car should be good for another 100k+ but unfortunately these are all fairly big ticket jobs. It wouldn't be hard to spend more than the price of the car to do all these as preventative maintenance. There will likely be a steady trickle of bills for other consumables by then too, shocks, springs and the like.

A friend bought a leggy '08 one with decent history 5-6 years ago with 160k. After dropping a few grand in to some, but not all, of the items listed above he moved it on before it completely drained his wallet.
Thanks for the detailed response. Think I'll just keep searching for a lower milage one or at least one that has proof of some work been done.

·
E90 320d M Sport
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just thought I'd update: Found a nice '08 with full stamped service history and only 82k on the clock in the UK. Picking it up next week :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts