BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

E60 Any common problems?

103K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Celtic Mark 
#1 ·
Hi hoping for some advice from some E60 owners.

We're hoping to get a 2008 520d but before we take the leap is there any common issues with these that we should be aware of? Previously had a 320d m sport and only ever had to replace the turbo at about 100k. Currently we've got an A4 which we agree was the worst buy ever and as we were stung with that we want to invest wisely this time. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 ·
As per your old 320d, replace the turbo breather filter every second oild service and the turbo wont go!

check the history to see when it was last changed, and if not then budget to do it straight away. I dont know if the swirl flaps are an issue in 08 cars or not?

#5 ·
My mechanic and another BMW specilist both told that swirl flaps are not an issue in an 08 520d (which I have), but I'm not convinced.Would be no harm to investigate further.My mech also told me the back suspension needs some work around 80-90k miles mark.

#10 ·
If it has a main dealer history don't buy it ;)

My turbo failed, 2008 car with full main dealer history, the oil and filters need to be changed twice as often as recommended by BMW, the oil in my car was like treacle and the main oil filter was completely blocked, also, the pipe that feeds oil to the turbo was almost completely blocked.

A comprehensive warranty that is extendable is the only sure way of being sure you won't have any financial headaches.

Lovely car to drive though, especially the auto (IMO) and they are pretty ecconomical too.

Richie.

#14 · (Edited)
The 08 520D with the N47 engine (177bhp) is notorious for timing chain failures etc..
Do a search for it and you'll see the long list of owners very unhappy with BMW who refuse to address the problem or acknowledge it.
And you'r talking 5 or 6 grand to replace it as it's very labour intensive..most owners just pick up a 2nd hand engine and replace that instead as it's cheaper.
A mate of mine just brought in one from the UK about a week ago and he's been told the timing chain needs to be replaced and quoted 6k

#17 ·
If chain not broken then that's crazy quote. Between €2-€2.5k to do what's necessary.

E.
yeah..he rang the Kildare branch and they only quoted half of the Limerick branch..pretty shocking..
His problem was he bought it from a non-BMW dealer in England only last week and they're quite happy to pay/replace it and they couldn't believe the attitude of the dealer when they questioned the quote.

#21 ·
Can't give you exact figures but roughly:
DMF at 120,000 km
Turbo at 140,000 km

Had goodwill of 75% on DMF parts, and 100% on Turbo parts. Labour was extra.

Car serviced by main dealer all it's life under service inclusive (condition based service). Looking at other comments regarding oil change frequency and possible damage to turbos it makes you wonder :rolleyes:

#22 ·
520d

How much mileage are people really doing? With the costs in seeing here you'd want to be driving in your sleep to clock up enough miles to save money!

This whole thread all I see is €2k here €4k here and €6k once. What the hell is t that people can justify paying so much extra for a diesel car and incurring such hideous fuel bills.
Surely a 523i would be a better proposition if you want reasonable power and running costs?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.