BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I went to the M&G today inquiring about the battery cable cover recall and revealed my paranoia about getting it done since quite a few people seem to have issues after the work done.

I came to the conclusion that there is no chance it is the dealer's fault if things happen after (basically either the car already has issues or the issues would have happened the next time the battery gets disconnected anyway).

This is the exact procedure they perform:

So as you can see all they do is take off the black plastic cover (which is shorter), put electrical grease around the connection, then put on the white plastic cover.
Anyone having any issues is probably similar to servers. They can be powered on for years and when you power them off and on they go ape $hit.

I took the white cover from them and will just do this at the weekend myself.
Don't delay there was a car in Ireland that this happened to last month!

The cover:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spoke to M&G again and the only reason the plastic cover gets replaced is to indicate if the recall has been performed (black = no, white = yes). The main thing is to put on the grease and check if the bolt is secured properly.

·
cleaned out
2,783 Posts
ha ha so whats really happening BMW technicians are disconnection battery and then not plugging it in and resetting the i drive for battery replacement and its sending it hay wire

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Actually you don't even need to disconnect the battery, see video above.
There is no need to reset/touch anything in the car after this work is done.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Battery recall

Looking for help pls

I recently had the recall done on my 06 520 sport in a well known main dealer in Dublin and when I brought the car home and parked it up for 10 mins it failed to restart. I towed it back to main dealer who informed me that the current problem and the recall were not connected. Two days later I was informed that the IBS cable was faulty and it needed replacing along with a new battery at a total cost of €650 incl labour. I contacted BMW Ireland who were no help. I was told at first they never disconnected the battery but I later found out from another main dealer that according to BMW guidelines u have to disconnect the battery. They later admitted to me that I was misinformed and that the battery was disconnected. I was also told that the IBS cable was shown faults when plugged into diagnostic machine but when I asked to see a print off off the faults prior to disconnecting the cable I was informed that they never did a diagnostic check on car.... Another lie... In the end and after a lot of heated phone conversations, BMW Ireland supplied the IBS cable and the main dealer done the labour as a sign of good faith, I still had to pay for a battery myself but it was installed foc.... Has anybody else had a problem with their IBS cable after this recall and where can I go from here.... I am not happy with the main dealer in question... Any feedback I can get I would really appreciate....!!!!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
The IBS cable is a common fault, happend to my parents one too, isnt caused by the Recall, might simply have been triggered by it, but your IBS was likely faulty.

A bad IBS means the battery isnt getting charged properly either, hence the suggestion of the replacement. You could have got the IBS cable yourself, a battery yourself and then asked BMW to do the recode for the new battery, all in under EUR300.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
Ciarán, make sure the dealer registered your new battery. There is a procedure in DIS to tell the car it has a new battery, it changes the charging cycle to,suit a new battery.
You only need to code the car for a new battery if you change the Ah rating e.g. 80Ah to 90Ah, or if you change from AGM type battery to a regular type battery (or vice versa).

EDIT:

For those of you that like to tackle things yourself, here is a guide on how to use DIS to register a battery:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4881741/registering-battery-using-dispdf-pdf-507k

To code the car to accept a differet battery you can use Progman or NCS Expert. I think it would be far easier to do in NCS Expert. In NCS Expert you need to read the CAS, under the setting KLASSE_BATTERIE you have the following options:

80ah
90ah
110ah
70ah
55ah
46ah
70ah_agm
90ah_agm
60ah_agm
80ah_agm

Here's a link to an NCS DIY document:

http://www.keepandshare.com/doc/4453183/ncs-diy-pdf-1-9-meg

I just included a dump from NCS Dummy to show all the paramters in the CAS module along with all the individual options for those parameters. It just shows that 46Ah & 55Ah are actual options in the software, thoguh I can't think how a 45Ah battery would be sufficient for a modern BMW.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Left the M5 in Duffys southside yesterday to get this done, 45 minute job and got a free health check and interior vacuum.

·
BMW 523i (2006MSport Kit)
113 Posts
Left the M5 in Duffys southside yesterday to get this done, 45 minute job and got a free health check and interior vacuum.
Happy to report I got the same recently, from the nice people at Murphy Gunne Miltown ....

EDIT - sorry, forgot to mention the complimentary, promotional duster ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts