BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

Looking at a few of these online and love how they look. A nice GT cruiser.

There are a few 630i's up and they look really clean, however I feel the power might be a let down (currently driving a remapped E60 530d MS). So I will loose a lot of torque and drivability I think.

The 645i - I think will have very good power and torque....but I hear of reliability issues with coolant pipes, stem seals.

With the M3...well. It is an older car, will probably need more to maintain it and perhaps some small rust restoration on an arch or two. Power is obviously going to be good and reliability from what I know seems decent. And I guess the M3 will hold value better and have a bigger market come resale??

I guess running costs will be the same across them all and it will be my daily driver, so won't be ragging it, even if it is the M3.
I know they are different types of car, but in my eyes - I am looking for a nice car with good build quality and an engine that will give me a feeling of the car being overpowered somewhat.
I would also like bluetooth or some way to connect spotify to the car. I know the 6ers have it, not sure about the M3. I guess it can be retrofitted....or even an AUX connection?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Gonko, I can share my own experience with you of the e63 (pre-LCI) 630i that I've had for about 3 years. Its the 258bhp version and I've been lucky enough to own it alongside an LCI e60 530i (272bhp). There is a bit of a power difference (possibly more in the means of delivery than the absolute difference). The torque curve, etc. of the N53 in the 530i seems to be flatter so there is more grunt from low speed/revs and it feels like it "floats" along that torque curve, so acceleration is a surge rather than a shove in the back. This well suits the mile munching function of the 530i. The N52 is no slouch though and in the real world I doubt too many that still have a license would feel short changed. The key benefit with the N52 is that it SOUNDS like a BMW engine. Much nicer engine note than the N53 (which is Direct Injection) and the exhaust has a very satisfying burble that the N53 doesn't.

My brother in law had a 645i conv from new for many years until he bought an i8 a couple of years ago. I drove it a few times and it was nice. Again, lovely engine note. As you noted though, they aren't without some potential wallet wilting pitfalls and the running costs will be a bit higher.

Having both the e60 and e63, its noticeable how many similarities there are in terms of the driving experience, as you'd expect given the common floorpan they are based on and the mechanical commonalities. The e63 gets some attention from people, friends, colleagues, that wouldn't usually care or comment about cars and generally is well suited to the GT role. Because it wears a different suit, it does feel as if there is a sense of occasion when driving it (if its not used as a daily when familiarity and routine may blunt that a bit). I have been using mine as my daily for the past 6 months or so and its well up to the job, so not complaining there. I would say though, that if I had paid the €30k price difference between the 530i and 630i when they were new I might be wondering if I got value for money. Today, when the price difference is fairly small, its not such an issue.

I don't have first hand experience of the e46 M3 but I have plenty with other e46 models, including 328i and 330Ci's. Fine cars, and loved having them, but finding a straight unabused one is getting more difficult. For the M3 I imagine you can multiply that difficulty. To my mind they are a bit of a potential minefield unless you are prepared to spend serious money (>€20k). Provenance is everything and the numbers being sold with reliable provenance these days are small. Most that still have it are in hands that won't let go of the keys anytime soon.

M3's don't know that they're any more special than another e46 when it comes to crumbly wheel arches, flat and flaky paint, etc. Then you've got the more common M3 issues such as subframe mount cracks (although, in fairness, not confined to the M3), crank shells, etc. M3's drove with a capability that often far exceeded that of the drivers, so body damage is a notable risk. The ones that are changing hands every other week of DD are likely to be both disappointing (in terms of the ownership experience) and ultimately expensive, I would imagine.

Ultimately, if the car is a daily driver, imho, the M3 could be tricky unless you find the unicorn. the 645 could melt your wallet, and of the models you mentioned, it leaves the 630i. They look more distinctive, handle neatly (if not perhaps "exciting"), are a fairly well known quantity when it comes to maintenance/repairs (ala 6 pot e60 5 series) and are cracking value for money at the moment. The one previous owner of mine took a €100k hit in depreciation in the years and 50k miles that he owned it, making it look like a bargain to me. Mine has been reliable, with no nasty surprises so far.

Downsides - passengers over 5ft tall will only get in to the back seats if helped by passing them through a wood chipper, the ride is a little bit lively at times on 19" RFT's on the pock marked ribbons of tarmac we laughingly call roads (not to the point of being uncomfortable, but a run in the 530i - SE - after the 6 feels like you are driving a magic carpet), and a few 6 specific bits could be more expensive (e.g. aluminium doors, bonnet, etc.). That's it, really.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I own 630i for the last 3 months. Love it so far. It came with good bmw service history but had to do couple things and it comes with the price. Oil pan gasket, I think it was around 250e and starter motor, got it in scrap yard but to change it was expensive again. Other than that it's lovely to drive. Lovely sound as mentioned already. Suspension a bit hard I got used to it. Also good few extras inside. Mine is 2005.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Don’t get a 645 having owned a 650 it’s certainly worth the more powerful engine.
Would an M6 be an option they are wonderful machines.

·
Do not feed the troll
4,129 Posts
The M3 drives very different from the 6. The 6 is just a fast comfy barge. The M3 needs to be driven hard to get the most out of it which is why I got bored of it after stopping trackdays. If you have access to b roads which you can use weekly the M3 is loads of fun. Never ran a 6 only driven a few so can't comment on ownership. Buy the right M3 and keep on top of servicing and maintenance and you will be laughing.

·
Registered
49 Posts
630i needs to be driven the whole rev range to get the most of it. It is a GT car though so lovely for long trips. Comfy to use every day too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts