BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Just fitted a s/h engine (old one seized),bought the car as a non runner so bit harder to find a fault with it since i never saw it running.

Basically its not getting fuel. Pump in the tank doesn't prime or turn on when being cranked over. Gave it 12v and pump runs so not the pump.
Pump under floor same no sign of life.

Other problem is it wont communicate with dianostic's at all, Engine,ABS,Airbag etc.

Car was sat up for id guess a few months and battery removed if it makes any odds to them.

Checked the fuses all seem good. Has me thinking there is a relay faultly or missing relating to the ecu but without any knowledge of bmw's or lack of wiring diagrams am lost.

Anyone got any idea's or seen something similar.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Did you use to original ecu or the one for new engine? Are you sure you have earth and positive straps connected properly?

In these cases start with the very basics, it's almost always something stupid. V hard concentrate when you've just spent a long stint doing a job like that.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did you use to original ecu or the one for new engine? Are you sure you have earth and positive straps connected properly?

In these cases start with the very basics, it's almost always something stupid. V hard concentrate when you've just spent a long stint doing a job like that.
Used original Ecu,injectors,pump etc. Engine i got was bare so i swapped everything over.

All earth straps and connections seem good double checked them.

If i could get the diagnostic to communicate i could have some sort of indication where to look but id say it all linked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Does the rev counter flicker when you turn it over?
Never even checked. Would the crank/cam sensor cut the fuel pump? Still wouldnt explain the no communication tho.

When trying i did manage to get it once to connect but only through OBD and it came back with cam sensor circuit. But wasnt sure if that was just because it was unplugged or that and i havnt been able to get it to communicate since with either OBD or though selecting the car/make etc.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
Crank sensor would cut the pump, turn it over and check for a flicker, if no movement change the crank sensor. The no communication could be for a number of reasons really such as Batt voltage etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Crank sensor would cut the pump, turn it over and check for a flicker, if no movement change the crank sensor. The no communication could be for a number of reasons really such as Batt voltage etc.
Will check in the morning if moves.. Brand new battery in it as other one wouldnt take a charge and i have a charger on it all day to maintain the voltage.

What software are you using?I think you will need a d-can cable if using inpa.K-line before march 07 and d-can after for the e90.
Im using Autocom. I only use it rarely so i dont know if it will suit the bmw but it does have it listed just when i go to scan it comes back saying no communication for all the control units.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rev counter doesnt move. Should the pump still not prime tho say even if the crank sensor was faulty?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No, it cuts power to the pump. That is your problem, check for wiring damage to sensor, if none, change it.
Checked the wiring to the sensor. 3 wires to it. Guessing one should be earth,5v and 12v. With the ignition off i have earth at all 3 wires. When ignition is turned on, i get 1 earth and other two wires have nothing. So missing the 12v and signal 5v.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got another diagnostic tool.

Fault is 4A63 EWS Tampering.

Guessing the ecu lost its code or something when the battery was dead for so long.

Is this a maindealer job only or what software is needed to recode the EWS?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It just needs the ews/dde resynced.
Yeah the scanner i used (autoboss) has that as a function but just kept saying no communication so not sure if the software on that supports doing it.

Can it be done with INPA?

·
Registered
7 Posts
When you turn off engine random code is generated and sent to some other module. If something is changed code didn't match and anti thief system won't allow you to run engine, code can be copied from one to another module using DCC or CAS module can be initialized using CCC.

Regards,
Dejan

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When you turn off engine random code is generated and sent to some other module. If something is changed code didn't match and anti thief system won't allow you to run engine, code can be copied from one to another module using DCC or CAS module can be initialized using CCC.

Regards,
Dejan
Got it sorted today. Well the EWS problem is sorted. Fix one problem to find another. Should be running tomorrow. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Got it sorted today. Well the EWS problem is sorted. Fix one problem to find another. Should be running tomorrow. :rolleyes:
Hi what did this fault turn out to be? I have the same problem after buying a none runner that was complete, I rebuilt the engine and now wont run! it runs ok on brake cleaner It does have fuel Pump but no ecu communication. After a quick look I noticed no ecu relay was fitted next to the ecu which is main power supply to ecu and if no power to ecu no communication but im confused as to why it was never thier in the first place? Does anyone know what colour it should be as we have a v10 m5 in thats got similar relays but 6 pin that the polarity works differently on. I think im on the right path but if someone has already been here it will save me hours trying to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Keith

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Just fitted a s/h engine (old one seized),bought the car as a non runner so bit harder to find a fault with it since i never saw it running.

Basically its not getting fuel. Pump in the tank doesn't prime or turn on when being cranked over. Gave it 12v and pump runs so not the pump.
Pump under floor same no sign of life.

Other problem is it wont communicate with dianostic's at all, Engine,ABS,Airbag etc.

Car was sat up for id guess a few months and battery removed if it makes any odds to them.

Checked the fuses all seem good. Has me thinking there is a relay faultly or missing relating to the ecu but without any knowledge of bmw's or lack of wiring diagrams am lost.

Anyone got any idea's or seen something similar.

Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys I'm new on this forum but i guess I've to share the knowledge according to what i went through. I've got bmw e90 320d 2006 model with 292k km,went to the soccer field and parked the car for over 3 hours then returned to the car hoping to start and go but to my surprise it wouldn't start. Crank and crank until i could notice the battery dying then tried to reset the memory buy removing the terminals and it seemed working after the car started. The following day problem started again until i decided to call an auto dealer who told me that if the engine cranks with the rev counter not tapping it could be the crankshaft sensor and i decided to buy new sensor and installed it
After fixing new sensor the car starts same time as though that was the problem, switched it off and on several times to see if it was fine and decided to take a test drive surely the car had lots of power than before they came back parked the car putting back all the covers and decided to try it before i get inside the house and boom same problem came back cranks with no start. The following morning tried to start it with success and decided to take it to the auto dealer shop for proper diagnosis, the machine picked up EKPS fuel pump control module, Glow plugs control unit, Battery intelligence sensor and footwell control module. Tried to replace all these with no lucky the car could start now and then but problem would return tried to flow the computer box with no lucky some times the diagnostic machine couldn't read from ECU giving communication error. The strange thing was that when you switched the key on you could hear the pump pumping diesel but that was when the wouldn't start it could only start when you could not hearing any sound from the pump, tested the pump and was so perfect changed the battery with no lucky since sometimes when you try to start the car you could hear the click only with no swing and when you try to start it with no turnover the traction light and engine light could come on and it wouldn't start until you clear the faults with a machine. The strange thing was that as long the cars runs it had the power and drives great like any normal cars of course sometimes it could stall but only at idling.
After a month of struggling the Auto decided to recheck the computer box since the car was not communicating at times with diagnostic machine so he tried to flow it again resoldering all the connections after that we installed it back with no lucky again so he decided to remove the blue relay that is DME relay next to the computer box as he does that he checked power flow to and from all the cables and they seemed fine then he unplugged the the relay and bridged the connections with a wire and boom the car starts same time engine and traction lights dissappear same time, put another used relay he had the car starts agan that was it. So please before wasting alot of money if you are having same symptoms on your car try the DME relay first as it is very cheap to replace and all the best

1 - 19 of 19 Posts