BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been reading this: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...ethanol-threat-to-classic-cars-and-bikes.html

I know Maxol and Topaz (I think) are producing E5 petrol which contains 5% bio-ethanol. I've been using this for the last while in the E46 as I believe the car runs a bit better on it (99 Octane), but am I being a bit paranoid not using it in the 21 year-old E30? Anyone got any thoughts or knowledge on this?

·
In the HAUS
3,523 Posts
I read about it before, applegreen/discount fuel deals supply E5 too.
My brother is quite concerned as he has a few classic cars, only 1 getting driven on a weekly basis.
Also has anyone noticed their spark plugs turning red after using E5? It looks odd but is quite normal apparently.

·
(formerly Orientblaue36)
1,711 Posts
I think BMW used the same type of materials in the fuel system of both..

Reactions: LEINS

·
(formerly Orientblaue36)
1,711 Posts
To maximise profits..

I don't think they give a shit about our cars Leins..

·
Registered
451 Posts
This issue has surfaced years ago and it will only get worse.

2002-2003 MINIs destroyed fuel pumps because of this before they were modified.

Even 'green diesel' now has similar issues that's causing havoc with modern tractors.

The fun cause by green party types... :(

E.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I converted a 2001 Audi Allroad to e85 (85% ethanol, not the puny 5% of E5). I changed injectors and fuel pump (to bigger to regular petrol versions), drove it hard for a year then changed back when E85 was withdrawn.

And you know what? Everything was just perfect, before, during and after running massive quantities of Ethanol in a "petrol" car which was remapped to 330bhp to boot.

So Im quite against the assertion there is something bad about such tiny amounts of ethanol.. considering its been in an out of fuel since the 1970s (ie the "old cars" we talk about here were not even on drawing boards when Ethanol compatibility was pushed on manufacturers).

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Over on beemerforums there are a few that reckon that the E5 from Maxol burns cooler as can bung up the injectors on the 335i with deposits. I certainly found the N54 engine ran poorly on the maxol stuff and have been using texico + techron ever since. However it must be said that the injectors on the 335 were made by monkeys so I dont know.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Would I be right in saying ethanol is 10% H2O?
Nope! Less than 1% (considerably less if they are measuring in PPM):
Absolute ethanol
Absolute or anhydrous alcohol refers to ethanol with a low water content. There are various grades with maximum water contents ranging from 1% to ppm levels. Absolute alcohol is not intended for human consumption. If azeotropic distillation is used to remove water, it will contain trace amounts of the material separation agent (e.g. benzene).[43] Absolute ethanol is used as a solvent for laboratory and industrial applications, where water will react with other chemicals, and as fuel alcohol. Spectroscopic ethanol is an absolute ethanol with a low absorbance in ultraviolet and visible light, fit for use as a solvent in ultraviolet-visible spectroscopy.[44]
Pure ethanol is classed as 200 proof in the USA, equivalent to 175 degrees proof in the UK system.[45]
Ethanol is hydroscopic however, so if stored poorly will indeed absorb moisture.

·
Sponsor
164 Posts
Over on beemerforums there are a few that reckon that the E5 from Maxol burns cooler as can bung up the injectors on the 335i with deposits. I certainly found the N54 engine ran poorly on the maxol stuff and have been using texico + techron ever since. However it must be said that the injectors on the 335 were made by monkeys so I dont know.
Modern Injectors are mass produced and then coated with Teflon to " fill in" the imperfections. However ethanol is very aggressive towards Teflon thus removing the coating And reducing your injectors to scrap:mad:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Modern Injectors are mass produced and then coated with Teflon to " fill in" the imperfections. However ethanol is very aggressive towards Teflon thus removing the coating And reducing your injectors to scrap:mad:
Wait a sec, that cannot be correct!? Teflon is a high grade Fluropolymor specifically sought to store Ethanol! The other two are VITON and KALREZ.
Its the opposite, anything coated with Teflon is designed for Ethanol and absolutely perfectly matched, its definately not aggressive towards Teflon (and most plastics and rubbers, see below).

http://www.fnwvalve.com/FNWValve/assets/images/PDFs/FNW/FNW_ChemicalCompat.pdf
"Alcohol, Ethyl" + Teflon = A Rating (top rating, recommended)

http://catalog.gpi.net/Asset/Chemical-Compatibility-Ver-6.pdf
Teflon + Ethanol = Grade R (top rating, Recommended)

On a standardised Chemical compatibility table, Gasoline is far more corrosive than Ethanol.

·
Registered
274 Posts
In my drag racing days, back in the 70s, the class we ran in only allowed the use of petrol which was available on forecourts. Like most racers we built engines with a 12/1 compression ratio because that was the highest we could go on the old 5 star petrol. When 5 star was phased out we were allowed to use 4 star with 20% methanol. There was little or no power increase evident because times and speeds remained the same but consumption increased because we had to run a 10% richer mixture.

I don't know if Ethanol has the same properties as methanol but if it does, as long as the mixture is increased, it shouldn't cause any problems, even with older engines.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Ive notice my M3 "pinking" now and again and was told its down to there not being a high enough octane in the petrol :confused: Would I be best of to purchase my petrol in a Texaco or where sells 99 Octane?

Thanks

·
Registered
274 Posts
Ive notice my M3 "pinking" now and again and was told its down to there not being a high enough octane in the petrol :confused: Would I be best of to purchase my petrol in a Texaco or where sells 99 Octane?

Thanks
or you could add a little octane booster but be careful of the content, any lead will destroy your cat.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Would I be right in saying ethanol is 10% H2O?
Sorry, no, you wouldnt! Ethanol forms an azeotropic mixture with water at about 96% ethanol. It needs further purification to get to 100%

The addition of 5% EtOH increases the effective octane number by increasing the oxygenation of the fuel. It may burn a little hotter as a result and for older cars, may cause problems at the top end and, as indicated, may cause damage to e.g. rubber parts. However, for an older car, I'd probably be more concerned about the lack of lead in the fuel.

N

1 - 20 of 22 Posts