BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Craaaaaazzzzyyyy Paving
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well did my first trackday yesterday. Did the national track as part of the DTDIRL charity trackday in aid of the Irish Cancer society. Have to say i had a ball Albeit the spontonaity of the day. I had originally planned to do this trackday but with only days to go i backed out after several bmw's i went to look at to use as a trackslag fell through. But when i arrived to view and help out yesterday i was offered the place again and as it was all for charity i felt obliged to have a wack if only for a few laps.

The Car

Fairly standard E36 318i

Well standard was the theme, given i had minutes to prep the car in the paddock. :D Weightloss was had to be made. So boot was emptied rear seats out and that was it. Pressures dropped jsut in case. Fluids looked good. Luckily i had fitted lowering springs the day previous which reduced the bodyroll slightly and stiffened up the car as a whole. I also was using fairly new rubber on the front, the back was another story. I knew there was plenty of meat on the pads but felt they wouldnt last long.

The track

What can be said, the day was fabulous. Sunny out and feck all wind. Didnt even get a chance to do the familarisation lap as i was "preping the car" so i waited for a good break in traffic and headed out. have to say my first lap was kinda sweaty. Thinking about braking, line and then where the person up your hole was gonna be when you came out. Honda proved to be my nemisis for the day, what ever it was i couldnt master it. I dont know was i braking to late and turning to sharp or braking to much into the corner and causing the fish tale style drift. Dunlop is also on my todo list as it proved difficult to master too.

I have video's there so you can see what im talking about. My tyres didnt offer as much grip as i had hoped and added to the mixture of under and over steer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNzKcUlPoNM

(Nevermind the commentary, all in the name of fun, Altough reminds me of a certain smokey vid which got serious abuse:rolleyes: )

Advice needed for the next outing. Pads, Discs and fluid are a must. Tyre options and possible decat to get that bit more power out of it.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Take your foot off the brake pedal before going into a corner!!!

Looks like a nice day there. Must have been some oil spill earlier.

·
E36 Saloon
270 Posts
Was down there with the lads helping out and brought my camera along

Mr Dev in action

·
Registered
124 Posts
you were just braking bit to late and turning in bit to early sould be out wide then in tight to get your apex then out wide hitting the middle of the outer rumble strip for you exit al in al you done pretty good

·
Clean Freak
963 Posts
Fair play Dev, car looked competent enough out there, as did you.

I will warn you now though, you will never stop at just one track day, the bug will bite deaper and deaper :)

Fair play and hopefully see you out there

·
Craaaaaazzzzyyyy Paving
634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The buzz will never wear off. Pretty sure ive another one on the 29th of the month. So ill have a month to do some much needed brake and traction mods

1 - 9 of 9 Posts