BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GARDAI are soon to be given the power to impound cars belonging to foreign nationals.

At present gardai cannot seize untaxed and uninsured vehicles if they are not registered in the State.

Transport Minister Martin Cullen announced yesterday that he would be introducing legislation to rectify this situation in the coming weeks.

Under the planned new laws, gardai will be able to impound any vehicles within the State, regardless of whether or not they are registered here, if they have no tax or insurance. The changes will allow gardai seize from foreign nationals living here and from those from across the border.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think so - hopefully this will spell the end for the Eastern European brigade. Really bugs me to see cars on their LT and LV plates for well over a year driving around. Especially when they obviously have cash.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I don't think there are immediate plans to make visitors (those staying up to a year) register their cars here. If this is the case then the gardai still won't be able to check for valid tax, insurance or roadworthiness. However, I guess that if the garda is in doubt they can just take it.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
Why don't they make all foreign drivers carry proof of insurance etc? We are required to have at least 2 discs in the window and our license at all times!

Rich.

richie_rvf

·
Premium Member
8,664 Posts
quote:Originally posted by brian

At the moment , are customs the only people who can impound them ?

No Gardai can seize cars which have not paid vrt etc also

·
Registered
97 Posts
Its about time!!!
The amount of hassle i got because i was on english plates, number of times i mentioned to the gardai about the thousands of foreign cars that drive around,
Normally got told to shut up! lol
Cheers
Dar

1 - 7 of 7 Posts