BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend of mine has a '01 E46 and the heater is blowing hot air permanently. I think it maybe the 'heat Resistor' (hedgehog) However, he has been told it could be the motor or the controls on the facia.

Anyone experienced the same problem?

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
A friend of mine has a '01 E46 and the heater is blowing hot air permanently. I think it maybe the 'heat Resistor' (hedgehog) However, he has been told it could be the motor or the controls on the facia.

Anyone experienced the same problem?
It could be the heater control valve..mine was stuck so all i was getting was hot air when the car warmed up!

·
Registered
677 Posts
This happened to me about a month ago. Heater would blow hot air all the time, Even with the key out of the ignition, running my battery down. Then it stopped working altogether, But would still run my battery down every night. It turned out to be the FSR aka heater resistor/Hedgehog.
Got a replacement from Quarrymot, But had to try 3 different ones, And quarrymot were top notch about this, Even sending the last one free of charge, They even paid postage :)

·
carcoversireland.ie
1,634 Posts
This happened to me about a month ago. Heater would blow hot air all the time, Even with the key out of the ignition, running my battery down. Then it stopped working altogether, But would still run my battery down every night. It turned out to be the FSR aka heater resistor/Hedgehog.
Got a replacement from Quarrymot, But had to try 3 different ones, And quarrymot were top notch about this, Even sending the last one free of charge, They even paid postage :)
+1 on Quarry - very helpful with parts and also said if mine didnt work, they would keep sending them out until it did work. It worked first time anyway;)

·
Registered
443 Posts
So the traditional sign of the hedgehog failing is that the fan speed goes all over the place on its own, if you dont have this issue I'm betting its something else...also if something is working while the key is out it points to an electrical fault

·
320cd M Sport
451 Posts
Heating

This may sound stupid, but when I bought my 02 320d I couldn't understand why the car was like a sauna even with the temperature at 16 degrees.

Turned out that the air vents above the radio have an adjuster from blue to red and it was in the red. Even with temp set to 16degrees hot air was still coming out of the vents!!

·
Registered
677 Posts
So the traditional sign of the hedgehog failing is that the fan speed goes all over the place on its own, if you dont have this issue I'm betting its something else...also if something is working while the key is out it points to an electrical fault
Happened to me, I was told it was quiet common when the FSR (Hedgehog) fails. After replacing the FSR all is gone back to normal and no drained battery from then on :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I seem to remember, back in a past life of BMW ownership, if after doing any work on the car heating .....
When you re - connect the car battery, the results you get are determined by the Air Temperature Control setting as that particular moment.
But, I just cannot recall whether, if done correctly, the air temp should be set at Max or Min when reconnecting.
Could Anyone Confirm they know what I'm trying to get across...
Cheers Mark.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts