BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a high mileage E46 320d. I've owned 2 in the past but nothing with over 120k miles. My budget will only allow me to look at cars with more miles on the clock. I'll be buying in the UK and want a 2004 for less than £4000. Just want to know how long these engines are good for?

·
Chuck Norris's Nemesis
965 Posts
Just want to know how long these engines are good for?
Could be in bits at 120k miles or could be just broken in - hugely dependant on service history. Service intervals at 10k miles at most (or less if possible) should see it to 200k miles without too much bother (whether the turbo lasts that is another question) !

·
I'm a 2 wheel man really
2,180 Posts
Mines a 320cd 05' 70,000 full BMW service history a mid serviced every 10,000 from 40,000( from when I bought it), break fluid changed at 34,000 and 70,0000, diff and gearbox oil changed at 60,000, coolant flush and change at 60,000:D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
ive owned one with 165k on the clock, engine wise it was on great condition but the turbo did need to be replaced, as well as this the deflection pulley went, but all things considered the car cost me feck all.

·
Registered
229 Posts
I have 106k miles on my '03 320d. No problems in the 18 months I've owned it. It feels way better put together than my brothers '02 A4 with similar milage

·
mr. Prawo Jazdy
1,049 Posts
i would go for a pre-facelifted one as post ones are known to suffer from turbo failure(not all ones of course)
i had a one from 01,got her with 97k on the clock with No service history at all and only thing that has to be replaced then was a front left wishbone.

·
Oil burner
199 Posts
i would go for a pre-facelifted one as post ones are known to suffer from turbo failure(not all ones of course)
i had a one from 01,got her with 97k on the clock with No service history at all and only thing that has to be replaced then was a front left wishbone.
Very true.

The face lift 320d with 150 bhp have turbo problems as well as dodgy swirl flaps in the intake. That's why I went for the 136 bhp one :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts