BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
he cleaned out the engine bay.

I was always happy to open the lid and see everything as it is.

It wasn't powerwashed but the blacks were all restored etc... I don't like the look of it tbh. What would a potential buyer think if they were being vigilant?

He asked me if he should touch under the bonnet and I said no. He is a nice guy - maybe he forgot.

I won't mention his name. For the record, he did a great job on the car though.

·
#1 Fair City Fan
2,477 Posts
Am I reading this right? Someone gave that little bit extra in a service he's providing and your giving out ?? What a prick, name and shame time :dizzy:

·
///M
967 Posts
It wasn't powerwashed but the blacks were all restored etc... I don't like the look of it tbh. What would a potential buyer think if they were being vigilant
Id think... "jaysus someone looks after there car"..
It lets a car down having it spotless inside and out then popping the bonnet and seeing a grubby engine bay..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok then, I prefer to not have the engine touched tbh. Some sellers powerwash engines so that it covers up oil leaks...

Nice to hear your opinions. I don't know if anyone is here wearing white runners but, if you do you will get what I mean.

The car is for sale anyway, so if bmw enthusiasts think that it looks good, then it is good for me too because I'm selling it.
What I like to do sometimes, is look and admire the engine and think "that's 100k miles" etc... Too hard to imagine it when the engine bay looks spotless though.

I'm not weird; I'm just individual like everyone here.
Some here might have had a lot of cars, I never drove a 6 cylinder before.
Ask me anything about computers though and always expect a proper answer :smile:

·
Registered
704 Posts
I love a clean engine bay.. I remember a lad showing me his car at the Ni meet and it looked super clean till he popped the bonnet. It was such a let down in my eyes..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dirty it again.
Will it not look odd then??....how would I go about artificially doing that to make it realistic. It's basically a few years of dust etc. built up with loads of covers etc. underneath to protect it from shite.

For the record the engine looked great before it was cleaned - even though it wasn't clean. It just looked like the car had been well taken care of, over the years.

Feck him anyway - he obviously didn't realise how important this aspect was when I told him. He said people were all commenting on it that came into his garage - so he probably opened the bonnet to show his skills :mad:

He put "back to black" type stuff over the engine cover etc. - looks putrid imo. I was considering going up to the detailing shed in Dublin but I said I'll give this guy a go...everywhere else he did seems to be spot on; although, he talked about waxing a car like, as if it was the same as polishing?? I think he said he uses T-Cut or something...is that good? The paintwork looks great at the moment anyway with all respect. He asked a lot of questions about the car when I dropped it in so I showed him the engine - he must have picked me up wrong.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
I can see where you are coming from. If the car was grubby but the engine was spotelss then that would raise questions. Aslong as the exterior and interior is clean enough and you have service history to back it up i dont think anyone would be put off by it..just tell them you wash the car regularily..

·
Ronin
8,708 Posts
I think your getting valetor and detailer mixed up especially when he mentioned T cut... Don't get too caught up on the engine bay clean thing that's a bit of country talk I remember my auld boy going on about it when I use to clean engine bays in 1990, as someone has said you have the car cleaned top to bottom and if he genuine he will buy it.

·
325ci
145 Posts
Whats the point of washing the engine bay on say a 320d or even my own 325?
I would not even open the bonnet unless I was at least running a v8 or something interesting!
And as for buying a car a dirty engine bay would not put off a serious buyer!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts