BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Today I did some coding. Took a while to get to grips with the NCS Expert etc. after coming from the ease of VCDS for the last few cars.

Here's what I changed,
CANS:
QUIT_OPT_SCHAERF (Optical flash on exit/lock)
aktiv
QUIT_AKUST_SCHAERF (Alarm bleep on exit/lock)
aktiv

CAS:
aktiv
aktiv
VIDEO_DENY (Video in Motion) - Not working see below
deny_never
BC_DIGITAL_V (Digital speed display)
aktiv
HEIMLEUCHTEN_FUNKSCHL (Welcome home lights on by remote locking)
aktiv
HEIMLEUCHTEN_NSW (Welcome home lights with front fog lights
aktiv
aktiv
HEIMLEUCHTEN_ABBRUCH (Coming home lights....can't remember exactly which)
aktiv
aktiv

COMBI:
BC_DIGITAL_V (Digital speed display)
aktiv

LMA:
HEIMLEUCHTEN_FUNKSCHL (Welcome home lights on by remote locking)
aktiv

SHD:
REGENSCHLIESSEN (Enabled both for Rain sensor to close sunroof)
aktiv
REGENSCHLIESSENTILT
aktiv

Thanks very much to RebelRanters posts here and elsewhere for an initial idea on what I needed to get set up :D

I'm still not getting the Video in motion working. Not sure what else I need to change yet. Any ideas?

I also want to change my analog tuner module to a digital one, if anyone sees one up for sale let me know.

Lastly for now does anyone know if it's possible to retrofit the HUD?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
The enable video in motion in the CAPPL change the following:

VIDEO_DENY
deny_stop_break

To
VIDEO_DENY
deny_never

Also in CAPPL in order to add the acoustic chirp options in the iDrive menu, change ACOUSTIC from nicht_aktiv to aktiv.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The enable video in motion in the CAPPL change the following:

VIDEO_DENY
deny_stop_break

To
VIDEO_DENY
deny_never

Also in CAPPL in order to add the acoustic chirp options in the iDrive menu, change ACOUSTIC from nicht_aktiv to aktiv.
Ah couldn't access the CAPPL module and one or two others, getting a COAPI-2041: Wrong ECU coding index error......
Just updated the DATEN files and it's all good.

Will change the VIDEO_DENY on it later.

Any other good changes I could make?
Is there such a thing as needle sweep (staging) on BMWs like on the VAG cars?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Ah couldn't access the CAPPL module and one or two others, getting a COAPI-2041: Wrong ECU coding index error......
Just updated the DATEN files and it's all good.

Will change the VIDEO_DENY on it later.

Any other good changes I could make?
Is there such a thing as needle sweep (staging) on BMWs like on the VAG cars?
It sounds like your DATEN Files are too old for your car. The needle sweep is possible but not with coding. There is a module that I read about that will do this.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So about time to get rid of all these yellow lights :)
Ordered LEDs for Angel Eyes, White H7 for high beam, White for fogs, Interior LED pack, White LEDs for number plate. All should be error free.
Will do before & after pics!

Ordered up a new bonnet badge, current one has a stone chip and it's annoying me.

Lastly ordered 2 parking sensors 1 for front and 1 for back with black sapphire pearl colour code. 1 back is gone and 1 front is intermittant. I believe they're a pox to replace, guess I'll see.

Have my eyes on a hybrid tuner to replace the now useless analog one. Not pulled the trigger on it yet, might wait a month or two.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I've done a load of little things on the car in the last couple of weeks....

The badge had a nice stone chip in it and was annoying me to look at so an easy and cheap replacement.

Then while I'm waiting for all my new bulbs to arrive I decided to change the number plate lights. I had some Philips Bluevision LED 6000k that I had left over from my old car.

Here's the horrible oem yellow lights

But when I took them apart it turns out they're not festoon but w5w bulbs but at least I had a set of Philips Bluevision W5W that came free last time I was ordering stuff.

And here they are in, not much better but they'll do for now. And yes the car is manky, needs a wash!

I also enabled the video in motion for my CCC unit. As Rebel had said I had to enable it in the CAPPL and CAS modules with ncs expert. Turned on alarm chirp when locked too.

Loads more to do, I've an interior led pack on the way, all the bulbs as mentioned and then got a cheap obdii HUD to see how it looks. Original would cost over 2k to retrofit, far too much.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Then got some more of the bulbs...
Philips Whitevision H7 & OSRAM Cool Blue Intense HB4

The High beams (H7) were easy enough to replace even with big hands!

The Fogs (HB4) were a pain the the ring! The passenger side is a nightmare with the washer fluid tank in the way from the wheel arch. Drivers side wasn't as bad, not much in the way.

I think the H7 are still too yellow in comparison to the xenons.
Fogs look better than stock.

Before:

Thou shalt not pass!....in the back you go!

From behind, rotate to remove

Changed

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got some more bits in the post today.

Got 3 colour coded, sapphire black pearl, parking sensors from a breakers in Germany. Guaranteed as working. Need one for the rear and one of my fronts is intermittent depending on the weather. Got a spare obviously.

Also got my 10W LED angel eyes from benzinfabrik. I've used this crowd before. They build great led lights.

Also got a cheapo HUD from eBay. It's a Chinese made brand called ifound h101 HUD. Reviews are 50/50 on good v crap. We'll see.

Well literally a 5 min job to replace.

Replacing the parking sensor is going to be a pox. I can get my hand in under the bumper beside the exhaust and just get my fingers on it. I'll give it a proper shot over the weekend.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And until the interior LEDs arrive, I sorted out the faulty rear PDC sensor.

Rear drivers side middle sensor

It was a lot easier once I was lying down doing it. Took about 2 minutes to replace. Helps to know the clips location from checking tis beforehand.

Old one:

New one (breakers one):

And fixed:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
And finally for now, got the LED interior pack today

Did the door puddle lights first
Before:

After:

Footwell Light:

Rear Plate LEDs: (DIRTY CAR!)

And now the dodgy part, I couldn't fit these 3 lights...

So ended up having to take it apart and put the LED in from the wrong side first as they don't fit through the holes if you put them in their holders and then try to put them back in.

All in!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
First problem today. Got a low oil pressure warning, pulled straight in and checked the oil level. Before even checking the level I could see oil had been coming down from the front drivers side of the engine.

Looking in over the vanos seals.

And here from the underside of the leak

So it's the common Break Booster Vacuum Pump

It's easy enough to diy so I started this evening but one of the three e8 female torx holding it on is bate on. So I'll try find the 97mm OD oring tomorrow to fix it. I might do the oil level sensor below it while I'm at it.

Would anyone recommend doing the 4 Vanos seals on this engine?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Can I ask where you got your LED bulb kit from, what's the quality like. I've been meaning to buy a set for a while but don't want to buy rubbish

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Can I ask where you got your LED bulb kit from, what's the quality like. I've been meaning to buy a set for a while but don't want to buy rubbish
Interior ones? From eBay...
11x ERROR FREE Xenon White Interior Light Package Kit For BMW 6 Series E63 Coupe
Item ID: 301443308939
Seller: kingautostore2014

They took a while to arrive though.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So went at the fix on Friday night/Saturday. What should have been a 10 min job max to remove the vacuum pump turned into a pain in the ring when one of the 3 E8 torx bolts holding it on decided it wasn't budging. Left wd40 on it overnight to see if it did anything, didn't work.
Even got a torch to it to heat it but still no movement so ended up getting out the dremel and cut a slot in it and got it off with a flat head bit and torque wrench.

So before I could get it off the car I removed the front cover where one of the leaks were,

The oring was flat as a pancake!
I still wanted to get it off the car as the smaller oring on the other side was probably going to be the same.

So all removed, this part lovely, the design of it is super :)

It got a good cleaning then off to the motor factors to try find the orings...... and after a trip to the 3 closest to me we weren't getting the large oring :( BMW don't supply it either, you cab order it online but there's posts on other forums that don't rate moist of them. So out with the tiger seal, great stuff but can be seriously messy.

Part refitted and lightly tightened for a few hours before locking it down, just to give the tiger seal time to do it's job, I didn't want to squeeze any excess into the chamber when it was still wet.

All back on and tightened, topped up oil.

So waited until today to test it. Left engine running for 15mins, no leak, took it for a 30 min drive and as Iiterally pulled back into the driveway the low oil pressure warning came back on.... F***

Checked the oil level, perfect! Checked the underside of the vacuum pump, dry?? Then checked the oil pressure sensor below the vacuum pump (you can see it below the hole for the vacuum pump in the 5th picture above), small leak on it too. Betting it's faulty too. So there's a lesson, should have done it at the same time!

Will order one in the morning!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No warnings at all today, oil level is good and no leak from the vacuum pump.
I got the oil pressure sensor from duffys on the way home from work, they had it stock. Only €17 so cheap enough. Will fit when I get some time.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi Zippyijk,

Really like this thread very interesting. I have a 650 Cabrio and want to change the yellow Angel Eyes to white. I went to the following page but which one would you recommend.
I see you went for 10w was there any reason not to go with 20w or 40w?

http://www.benzinfabrik.de/de/led-angle-eyes-standlichtringe/

Also how do you fit them.

Thx a million,
TCP/IP
I like the colour of mine but I think there not that bright in comparison to the current bmw models Angel eyes. As far as I'm aware the 10w were the highest 'legal' lights but I can't see that being right. If I were to buy again I'd go higher.
You may have to check do they throw a lighting error but that can always be coded out easy enough.

As for fitting, very very easy. Might be slightly harder on the passenger side but I've huge hands and I was able to do it. Probably 5-10 minutes max. Plenty of videos on YouTube.

Nice 650 if it's the one I'm thinking of, red stitching on the steering wheel with chateau interior?

1 - 20 of 49 Posts