BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I am getting an error message (error compiling script file) from my INPA and I cant connect with my EDIABAS.:confused:

I bought the cable and CD from Ebay, copied the files to the C: and changed the environment variable path to include (;C:\ediabas\bin) and changed the Ediabas.ini file settings as per a post I read online to:

RemoteHost
; Description : server address/name
; Default =
RemoteHost = 132.168.69.1

;-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Port
; Description : IP communication port
; Value : 1000 < port < 30000
; Default =
Port = 8601

And ran the OBD.exe file and restarted.

I am using a PCMCIA RS232 card but I have the USB to RS232 to if someone thinks it would be better to use it.

I dont know if this is helpful but in my device manager I have a Softing Vehicle interface and when I expand it I have a Softing EDIC-PC-3 @ 0x240 with the following error:

This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use. (Code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system.

I cant find another device using the same resource when I view by resource and I cant find any other info online so I'm stuck. :mad:

If someone could point me in the right direction I'd greatly appreciate it as I'm close to putting the laptop under the rear wheels of the E46.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
what version is your inpa i had trouble with the version i got from ebay as i needed the older version and the version i had was 6.6.4 i think which was only an update

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what version is your inpa i had trouble with the version i got from ebay as i needed the older version and the version i had was 6.6.4 i think which was only an update
Cheers for the quick reply

INPA was 5.0.2.0 but I put it back to 4.4.7.0, Ediabas was 3.2.0.7 but now 3.1.0.0 after reading your post, but its still not working (not to say that didnt fix a problem I didnt even know I had yet).
It loads fine and runs perfect but its just not reading cable.

I found the conflicting device for Softing EDIC, it is a motherboard resource :eek: Getting in a bit over my head here I think.

Do you have the Softing EDIC device installed on your system (I'm hoping I dont need it at all), might uninstall it altogether?

Also do I have to set it to a certian COM port?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Hi,
the IP address you need is 192.168.68.1
However this is not your issue. For your e46 you need to use the STD:OBD interface not EDIC.

Read this guide & pay particular attention to the OBD set up & the port settings:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1312104

(oh yeah, just ignore all the stuff about the Carsoft, it is only relevant if you're trying to use a CarSoft interface, which I would avoid like the plague)

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi,
the IP address you need is 192.168.68.1
However this is not your issue. For your e46 you need to use the STD:OBD interface not EDIC.

Read this guide & pay particular attention to the OBD set up & the port settings:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1312104

(oh yeah, just ignore all the stuff about the Carsoft, it is only relevant if you're trying to use a CarSoft interface, which I would avoid like the plague)
Thanks. I have uninstalled the EDIC device and changed the IP address to the above but when I go to info in INPA my interface is set to ADS 6.1.0 and not STD: OBD, can I change the settings for this in an .INI file or the likes or do I need to do a full uninstall/reinstall job?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
ADS is for cars like e36 & e34, you also need an OBD lead with a true serial port in order to fully use it properly.
What type of interface cable are you using? There might be additional steps you need to consider if it is a USB cable, a D-CAN equipped cable or if you're using a VAG-COM cable you might need to modify the cable physically.
However in the meantime you need to read below:

Install the OBD interface by clicking:

C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD” and launch the file OBDSetup.exe

It should change the value in your Ediabas.ini file automatically. it will also bring up this window:

You might need to go into your registry file to adjust the values listed in the above image if you are getting warnings.

Lastly, did you install INPA from a mounted image or a folder? There can be issues with installing it from a folder rather than an image, it skips files apparently.

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ADS is for cars like e36 & e34, you also need an OBD lead with a true serial port in order to fully use it properly.
What type of interface cable are you using? There might be additional steps you need to consider if it is a USB cable, a D-CAN equipped cable or if you're using a VAG-COM cable you might need to modify the cable physically.
However in the meantime you need to read below:

Install the OBD interface by clicking:

C:\EDIABAS\Hardware\OBD” and launch the file OBDSetup.exe

It should change the value in your Ediabas.ini file automatically. it will also bring up this window:

You might need to go into your registry file to adjust the values listed in the above image if you are getting warnings.

Lastly, did you install INPA from a mounted image or a folder? There can be issues with installing it from a folder rather than an image, it skips files apparently.
Thanks for all the help, You put me on the right track with your last post. The software with the CD you get from EBAY is not complete so I removed it completely and I downloaded INPA.iso from a torrent website and installed it from a mounted image folder and ran the setup again, correctly this time.

I'm at work so I don't have my cables with me to test it fully.

I'm using a PCMCIA RS232 card from my laptop to a diagnostics port cable I got along with the round 20 pin adapter from Ebay, with EDIABAS INPA stamped on it.

I'll try going from PC card to RS232 cable using the port in drivers footwell this evening and let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Good stuff, just so you know the set up with a PCMCIA may not fully work on a pre-'99 car that requires ADS. As in it may not talk to all the units in the car. s is basically anything that requires the large round socket under the bonnet.

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nearly there I'd say but still no joy.
Its on a 2000 reg. I tried it there and its letting me get further than before but now I'm getting the following error code:

IFH-0003: Data transmission HOST/Interface failed
I found this list on the net and I have worked through it but you might give it a look and see if you spot something I missed.

Reason 1: In the Ediabas.ini file, the interface is set to STD:OBD. However, you have
connected an ADS connector.
Solution 1: Modify the interface setting.
I'm using an OBDII connection and the car is on a 00 reg so I think its ok.

Reason 2: The data transmission failed when sending (e.g. short circuit in the line).
Solution 2: Get rid of the short circuit, for example.
Completely lost here?

Reason 3: Connector not connected or no power supplied.
Solution 3: Check whether the connector is connected and is supplied with power.
I started the car and the green light was on, on the adapter.

Reason 4: The device manager has been used to disable the FIFO buffer for COM1.
Solution 4: In the device manager (Windows XP: Enter “Start” à “Control Panel” à
“System” à “Hardware” à “Device Manager” à Ports (COM & LPT)), and then
select COM1 from the ports. Then under the “Port Settings” tab, select
“Advanced”. There must be a check-mark by “Use FIFO buffers” and “8” must be
selected for the receive buffer and transmit puffer.
The FIFO box was marked but the receive and transmit buffer were not at 8 so I set them both to 8 and tried it again but no joy.

Im using the INPA loader, version 5.0, and I selected the BMW group rectification program UK, instead of the USA one it told me to use in the walkthrough if you think that might cause me any problems?

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
It could very well be down to your PCMCIA card. It's just more thing to go wrong in the process.
Are your battery & ignition dots turning black when you connect the OBD connector? (Assuming you have your key in position 2)
What diagnostic are you trying to run? Try the radio function or something other than the engine first.

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The battery and ignition dots are not turning black but I am trying the radio function.

I applied a fix I read in the FAQ manual to change the OBD.ini file to add (UBTT=OFF) but it just turns the battery dot black all the time even if not connected to the car, so I put it back to normal again.
I think its if your laptop has no pin No: 9 on the RS232 or something.

Would I need a null modem cable to act as a cross over between car and PC card?

Is it worth trying another card or a usb connection instead?

·
E39 523
272 Posts
Im using a pcmcia card connecting to a 97 E39 - works like a charm. I did have to change the com port to com 1 (i think - was a long time ago). It wouldnt work when using a virtual com port. This is the com port that the pcmcia card is emulating

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Im using a pcmcia card connecting to a 97 E39 - works like a charm. I did have to change the com port to com 1 (i think - was a long time ago). It wouldnt work when using a virtual com port. This is the com port that the pcmcia card is emulating
I was just making the point that PCMCIA needs to be set up right too. I wouldn't go changing the UBATT setting, there's no need & if you want to set up DIS/GT-1 at a later date it would be much better to have the UBATT change properly.

OP, just check what port your PCMCIA appears in the Device manager as, you can then change the port to match what you see in the obd.ini file.
I had an issue with a PCMCIA card set up for this (for someone else), you might be better using Com 5 rather than Com 1, try that.

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks a million for all the help. At least I know it can work with a PCMCIA, I tried a usb and another card but no luck so it must just be a setting.
I'll try the messing with the COM's and see how it go's.

If it doesnt work is there a simplier setup, or cable/software setup I could use? I have an airbag light on from removing the drivers airbag in the door when fixing the window?

·
E46 320d SE
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was just making the point that PCMCIA needs to be set up right too. I wouldn't go changing the UBATT setting, there's no need & if you want to set up DIS/GT-1 at a later date it would be much better to have the UBATT change properly.

OP, just check what port your PCMCIA appears in the Device manager as, you can then change the port to match what you see in the obd.ini file.
I had an issue with a PCMCIA card set up for this (for someone else), you might be better using Com 5 rather than Com 1, try that.
SUCCESS :D

I switched to COM 5 and for whatever reason it worked a treat, I've even cleared my airbag light.

A big thanks to Rebel.Ranter for the consistent posting and help, a credit to driver.net.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Help me

I have and old laptop whit true serial port, and i Install my tiny ads interface and i got this error message, error compiling script file, my battery and iginition dots works fine but, i cant acces my E36, to test my engine, airbag

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Have you run ADSSETUp.exe, set your interface in ediabas.ini to equal ADS? You need to restart your computer after doing these changes. You need to be in ADS mode to work with an e36.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts