BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should we have one ? I just got my renewal in from Liberty and its gone from 660 odd to 997 :eek: I rang them and took the woman off so it dropped to 720 odd. I think that's outrageous. I turned 25, no points and no claims for 7 years full licence etc and living in the sticks. I searched here and found little that interests me so shall we set up an insurance thread ? as in where to go or who to go to. age and car etc will play a part so maybe post up normal run of the mill insurance for the likes of me the menace of the roads, to say the auld ones who are a real danger on the road :biggrin1:

I tried 123 so far with the above details and it came in at 453 all in for mirrored insurance. Wonder could it be bettered

·
Registered
274 Posts
I stuck this in the good news thread, but heres my story.

Mine was €550 last year. Down to 485 this year with AIG. I was about to ring the broker and tell them to go ahead with the renewal and I thought I'd chance a few online quotes. Chill, no good, 25plus, no good, AIG Direct - €388. Fully comp, breakdown assist, glass coverage, full ncb protection on a 2009 520d.:)

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I tied them. The bare min of cover really, Quite expensive and they don't have the important thing I need which is cover on other cars but I'll keep trying cheers

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
I paid mine only last week.

€454 fully comp. 1999 323 coupe. It dropped by €49 from the 525d.
loads of benefits, fully comp on other cars, break down, 2 claims in 3 years won't affect my NCB and then I have step back NCB.

I'm an old man though, I'm 32 and driving since I'm 17 :)

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
I find from experience on other forums that insurance cost threads become a bit irrelevant or meaningless as no two drivers are the same so what I pay for my insurance has little or no bearing on what someone else pays for theirs.

Insurance companies take into account as much the person being insured as the car they are insuring. They take your address, demography, job, driving experience, etc. all into account so unless I have a twin who lives in the same house with the same job driving the exact same car with the exact same number of years driving experience, what I pay for my insurance will have little bearing on what anyone on here or anywhere else will pay.

The only advice I give is to shop around, insurance companies give no loyalty to repeat customers at renewal time so don't be afraid to walk away from them.

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
As per my post on Boards, the flip side of poo-poo'ing big classic V8s as the "tax is so much" is the fact the insurance is so little. Just got my renewal:

Classic (which is 13years old+ for insurance purposes, not the 30year for tax purposes) naturally aspirated V8, like a 740i or 540i. Just got my insurance renewal, covers 3 cars, Im 32 and with 3years NCB (was 5 but lost 2 years last year):

Primary car: 740i 4.4l
850CSi 5.6l
525i 2.5l

Total: EUR500.

Enjoy the 520D's though guys. :D

·
Registered
274 Posts
As per my post on Boards, the flip side of poo-poo'ing big classic V8s as the "tax is so much" is the fact the insurance is so little. Just got my renewal:

Enjoy the 520D's though guys. :D
Mine does me fine Matt

My 520d was bought because of the driving I do, running a big engine petrol doing 20 k a year wasnt feasable.

I haven't sold my soul completey, I still have an e30 325i that comes out to play during the summer:cool:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Mine does me fine Matt

My 520d was bought because of the driving I do, running a big engine petrol doing 20 k a year wasnt feasable.

I haven't sold my soul completey, I still have an e30 325i that comes out to play during the summer:cool:
I wasn't singling anyone out specifically, its just the 520D is an easy target :p
But you are doing it right, as you can have the E30 on classic insurance. FYI, every additional Classic you add to the policy gets a 50 to 75% discount too.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I wasn't singling anyone out specifically, its just the 520D is an easy target :p
But you are doing it right, as you can have the E30 on classic insurance. FYI, every additional Classic you add to the policy gets a 50 to 75% discount too.
Youre alright Matt, its the best of both worlds:biggrin1:

·
Registered
188 Posts
my insurance has always been cheaper on my jap cars rather than my other cars:confused2: there going to get a shock when i try insure the bmw.... its strange i was paying 1800 on my old tdi audi, 1890 on my old megane convertable, 1739 on a polo, 1460 on a 20v bz-r trueno, 1550 on my GT-Turbo:confused2: .....all within a year and a half.... now im 21 with 2years ncb and still on a provissional:confused2: insurance is frozen at the moment doh because in in aus:nerd:

·
Registered
29 Posts
J try axa, i was with liberty for 5 years and they quoted me 560 with windscreen cover with no points or endorsements. I rang them and the reduced it to 524 but thats the best they could do. I rang around and the cheapest was with axa.

I got a quote for 410 with all glass being covered , annual millage upto 8000 miles, open drive, health insurance in result of an accident, contents cover up to the value of 400 and 30 days of European driving per year. Give them a ring an see what they can do.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Insurance jumped 70 quid on the 318is this year with 123. On the basis of the insuranfe levy (bull) and the fact my mrs is named so all that women drivers ,equalisation malarky.

I demanded they equal last years 318 (NO shit) quote but only got it to the middle, i must have wasted 10 hours of their time this week with requptes and clarifications and managerial escalations... so feck them they would have saved that manpower by just giving me the quote i wanted. Still hundred less than nearest competitor so alls good.

Utter muppets though, zero concept of how to handle customers.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I paid mine only last week.

€454 fully comp. 1999 323 coupe. It dropped by €49 from the 525d.
loads of benefits, fully comp on other cars, break down, 2 claims in 3 years won't affect my NCB and then I have step back NCB.

I'm an old man though, I'm 32 and driving since I'm 17 :)
Next year you can get classic ins with First Ireland.....

My 98 323 convertible was €243 comp limited to 3000 miles :smile:

I'm 40 tho :frown:

·
Registered
526 Posts
Yes.... And you need to provide proof of 'Live' no claims cover with your daily insurer. I have my e36 covered for 6k miles a year with first Ireland for €219.

·
Bring Back The Queen!!
4,612 Posts
These threads are a load of boxxll. Everyone's insurances is different. Car insurance is based on risk and a LOT of things have to be factored in before any ncd is taken into account.
Put it this way, it looks like it will be cheaper for me to insure the e90 and her to insure the m5:eek: but would it be safer her driving it, he'll no:(

1 - 20 of 144 Posts