BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys im thinking of buying a 2003-4 730d and dont know anyone with one so im just wondering what there like to live with day to.day? I have never driven an automatic car in my life so what are they like on slippery roads ,ice,snow etc also I know maintenance costs are high but iv always done servicing myself and fixing suspension issues on my own cars so wont be going to dealer unless something drastic happens. So anybody any ideas on these cars or actually owns one?

As much info as possible would be greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Electrics are the real problem in the e65. Can be a nightmare. About 60 different modules in the car and any one going wrong can prevent the car going in to sleep Mede and draining the battery fast. These cars draw about 20 amps when awake with all the electrics .
Most othe bits are common with the e60. Engine box etc. Gearboxes are expensive and engines like turbos. None in breakers to get e65 specific parts .
As to what an auto is like to drive the only way to find that out is by driving . Everyone has different preferences.

·
LARGE Member
461 Posts
Bought one for my dad recently, a 04 pre facelift Sport model. From the word go we had problems with the gearbox. Jumping into limp home mode and causing the car to lock in neutral and not move into gear. We were shitting ourselves that we would need a new gearbox but on further inspection it was actually the Alternator Regulator which was the problem. Once replaced we havent had an issue except for the rear parking sensors suspiciously not working on all bar one of the four sensors. Its going in to get checked on Tuesday and hopefully it can be fixed without replacing the sensors as they are about 150 a piece!

My Dad does a decent mileage mostly city and a little motorway and is getting about 31mpg from it. He loves it, downsides are relatively few, should have a bigger boot for the size of the car and obviously doesnt handle like a 5 or 3 with sport suspension but it is incredibly comfortable. I borrow it regularly and love the drive.

Even if you are into tech the first generation i-drive is not user friendly. Its great that you can do so much with it but aside from the extra functionality it can be mind boggling. The other annoying thing is that there doesnt seem to be a way to get integrated bluetooth retrofitted and I think video etc can be a tough retrofit too.

Overall I would strongly recommend one if you are after comfort above performance/handling. I have the M3 and when I cobble together some more money I have my eye on my uncles 750li 2006 ex BMW Ireland car with mega spec, an M3 and a V8 7 is a perfect stable if you ask me.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Did the I-drive get an update in the 05 model then? Or what other changes were made? Would love a v8 but I think the inline 6 is bit more practical, if u.can get away with buying one of these and saying practicality in the same sentence

·
LARGE Member
461 Posts
Did the I-drive get an update in the 05 model then? Or what other changes were made? Would love a v8 but I think the inline 6 is bit more practical, if u.can get away with buying one of these and saying practicality in the same sentence
I drive got two updates at least in the 7. The first, which is on my dad's added the menu button as a shortcut beside the controller but didnt (and I could be wrong on this) make any changes to the system. The second made changes to the system that I cant remember anymore but definitely improved it. It was never as simple as on an E60 or E90 though.

PS New cost of 3 PDC sensors raised its head, €495+Vat+Fitting from BMW

1 - 5 of 5 Posts