BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the E46 M3 bootlid the only one that is "raised" at the top? Trying to source one for mine but all I can find is fiberglass stuff.. not what I want...

In no rush, just want to know if any other models came with that type of boot (330, etc) and would they be rare enough to get second hand/brakers yard..

·
Blackburn for Europe....
1,261 Posts
Get in contact with AC car sales, they had my old one when i changes to the CSL one, they still had it a few months ago, you could be in luck

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
its the m3 csl boot your after rare enough seen a few sellin on the site the normal m3 is just flat
I've a craving for CSL goodness at the moment.. if I cant have the car I'd love to not replicate it, but make something really nice out of what I have, with CSL bits, M3 bits and a touch of hartge interior goodness (be it sill protectors, gearknob+pedals, csl steering wheel), etc.

want to do something unique to my 323ci that I'll enjoy as I think for a change i'm going to be keeping onto this for a while and look after it.

Remote: why did you change? is it just because the CSL one is plastic and M3 is metal? do they look the same, as in raised at the top??

·
Blackburn for Europe....
1,261 Posts
The standard boot on the M3 is the same looking as a standard bootlid on a 320/325/330 etc, with a small lip spoiler on the back. The CSL bootlid has a raised semi circular look to it.

If you look at the pics in this link you will see the difference, the car goes from standard M3 to me changing certain things, you can see the difference in the boots. Alot of people change to CSL style because they prefere the look, imo it looks alot better

http://www.bmw-driver.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16186

·
Bring Back The Queen!!
4,612 Posts
An M3 bootlid is the same as any other e46 bootlid so no point in fitting one.
An M3 csl bootlid is what your talking about ( raised at the back) these are very expensive new but are are a great mod:cool:

I'm in the process of sourcing very very good grp replicas ( but have yet to see them) unsure on a price yet but should be a lot less than a oem one;)

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
M3 doesn't have the ducktail. M3 CSL does. The CSL bootlid is a common enough mod, however VERY expensive. Lots of nasty add-on type kits to make your standard bootlid resemble (badly) a CSL version.
Well I havnt got a buldging wallet to be paying out for crazy csl stuff, but would I not be best of getting maybe an FRP ducktail add-on piece and getting a bodyshop to do a propper job on moulding it into the original bootlid?

Cheap option but if done right would surely be ok? if not i'd be interested in this grp version..

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
only thing putting me off a fiberglass bootlid is the hydraulic rams, boot release switch, etc.. so a ducktail piece would be ideal to have moulded into original...

·
MonsterShaft Member
540 Posts
I believe a good quality CSL boot lid is big money indeed

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
May be picking up a fiberglass csl bootlid next week but want to know how im going to go about fitting it..

What's the story with lock/boot release mechanism and will the hydraulic rams have to be disabled??

Or could a bodyshop cut off the top peice and mould it into the original bootlid therefor keeping original boot, rams, lock etc.??

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Forget about cut and shut.

It will be a pig to fit tbh everything is gonna have to be transferred from your old lid, handle, lock, loom, lighs, cover and toolkit. Then your gonna have to line it up.

Where are you buying it?
I should have one here next week on trial that's ment to be of good quality

A fellow on here sent me a Pm saying he had one.. Was planning on fitting it myself and getting someone local to paint it.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Forget about cut and shut.

It will be a pig to fit tbh everything is gonna have to be transferred from your old lid, handle, lock, loom, lighs, cover and toolkit. Then your gonna have to line it up.

Where are you buying it?
I should have one here next week on trial that's ment to be of good quality
let us know how it fits. I need one of these in my life:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts