BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an R53 Cooper S as a daily driver - love driving bit but fancy something a bit more grown up but don't really want to sell it - not worth that much so I'm thinking of putting it off the road as I'd like to have it when the kids are old enough to start driving.

Question is what kind of 'grown up' car as a replacement - was thinking along the lines of E92 M3, E60 M5 or E63 M6 purely for the engine. I had also considered an S5. My daily commute is driving a 10Km round trip to/from work. And then a few longer journeys around the weekend with the family. Obviously I'd probably find other 'excuses' to for longer drives but (I think I know the answer to this), am I crazy to be thinking of something so high performance and potentially high maintenance for this type of driving?

·
M3
176 Posts
Go for it :). I've done it with a E46 M3, E60 M5 and E92 M3 now. They are fine as a daily from a comfort/practicability point of view.

Only issue is going to be costs, tax is a killer, mpg not so much with your miles, maintenance can get pricey especially if you want to keep the car right.
eg. €1,000 -1200 for 4 good tyres, €700+ for rear disc and pads, throttle actuator 700+ From memory my approx mpg:
E46 - 23 Mpg
E60 - 18 Mpg
E92 - 21 Mpg

The only one I'd be hesitant on it the M5 , super car but I was always waiting for something to go bang(which it did a few times) and the SMG isn't great in traffic.

If you want any more or a look at the M3 let me know

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Go for it :). I've done it with a E46 M3, E60 M5 and E92 M3 now. They are fine as a daily from a comfort/practicability point of view.

Only issue is going to be costs, tax is a killer, mpg not so much with your miles, maintenance can get pricey especially if you want to keep the car right.
eg. €1,000 -1200 for 4 good tyres, €700+ for rear disc and pads, throttle actuator 700+ From memory my approx mpg:
E46 - 23 Mpg
E60 - 18 Mpg
E92 - 21 Mpg

The only one I'd be hesitant on it the M5 , super car but I was always waiting for something to go bang(which it did a few times) and the SMG isn't great in traffic.

If you want any more or a look at the M3 let me know
Thanks for this.

Fuel, tax and tyres I can accept given they're largely fixed costs which allows me understand the budget - what I'm unsure of is the other regular maintenance costs - types of service, how often, etc.

And then I'd like an idea of how much reserves for potential big failings - or consider if I want the expense of a warranty.

I did a lot of reading over the weekend - as usual the horror stories all make front page (that old adage - people only tend to post up bad reviews). From what read E90/92 M3 will at some point suffer failure of throttle actuators and can be susceptible to failed rod bearings both of which are pricey. Then the SMG on the M5/M6 comes in for a lot of stick as well as potential for throttle actuators and rod bearings.

Have to admit that my preference would be for an E92 at this point but from what I've read online they seem to be potentially more problematic but then like I say, every likes to post a good horror story.

·
M3
176 Posts
Service on the E92 is variable depending in mileage. According to the book oil every 12-15K miles or 2 years, with gear box or diff oil 1 in every 3 services. Spark plugs are good for 30K+ miles. Throttle actuators go on both the M5 and M3 - its basically the same engine with 2 less cylinders. I put 2 each into both cars. You can get repair kits now, if you get it early it can be just replacement of a plastic gear cog.

BMW Warranty gets expensive if the car has done over 60K miles which is most of them at this stage I'd imagine. IMO you'd need to have 2-3K in the bank just in case money on top of regular maintenance.

I've seen stuff re the bearings but haven't had mine checked, like you say hard to know if internet hype or real. Seems to depend on how the car was driven, rev from cold etc.

I wouldn't agree re the M3 being more trouble, and I think the M5/M6 has the potential for bigger bills, certainly did in my case. Garages(including bmw) are also not as clued into it.

One thing to consider coming from a mini is that its hard to push a M car to its limits with out serious speed. The M3 doesnt really come alive till triple digits(in old money), the M5 even more, not always ideal when you don't have a private race track :).

Let me know if you need any more info. I've 5+ years of M3 receipts upstairs with all the gory details.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Service on the E92 is variable depending in mileage. According to the book oil every 12-15K miles or 2 years, with gear box or diff oil 1 in every 3 services. Spark plugs are good for 30K+ miles. Throttle actuators go on both the M5 and M3 - its basically the same engine with 2 less cylinders. I put 2 each into both cars. You can get repair kits now, if you get it early it can be just replacement of a plastic gear cog.

BMW Warranty gets expensive if the car has done over 60K miles which is most of them at this stage I'd imagine. IMO you'd need to have 2-3K in the bank just in case money on top of regular maintenance.

I've seen stuff re the bearings but haven't had mine checked, like you say hard to know if internet hype or real. Seems to depend on how the car was driven, rev from cold etc.

I wouldn't agree re the M3 being more trouble, and I think the M5/M6 has the potential for bigger bills, certainly did in my case. Garages(including bmw) are also not as clued into it.

One thing to consider coming from a mini is that its hard to push a M car to its limits with out serious speed. The M3 doesnt really come alive till triple digits(in old money), the M5 even more, not always ideal when you don't have a private race track :).

Let me know if you need any more info. I've 5+ years of M3 receipts upstairs with all the gory details.

Thanks again for this - it's great to have real first hand experience. Servicing doesn't seem so bad for the M3 - also have an E90 so already holding back a 'timing chain' fund ;)

I've a friend in work moving on an M5 so will be taking that for a spin to see if the SMG is really that bad :) I still have a preference for the M3 though.

Not too concerned about usable performance - the mini is so manic and for a little 1.6 sounds so nice you 'have' to drive it everywhere aggressively - only a matter of time before I get into trouble - it also makes me feel like a driving God which I can categorically state I am not!

I'd imagine I would rarely really use the true performance of an M3/5/6 and have to admit to the appeal being quite superficial - nice sound, kudos of owning, knowing you have the potential for serious performance, etc - sad I know but it's been an itch for a long time now.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just had a drive in a 2006 M5 - owned by a colleague in work - not much I can say other than Jesus! It's not often things live up to their hype let alone go beyond. Brilliant car! I'd admit to being a little nervous of the SMG with everything I've read but it was a breeze - with M mode disabled it was docile in traffic and if you waft along the gear changes are generally unnoticeable. Still plenty of power on tap but with M mode enabled - holy cr*p.

The guy is tentatively considering a sale - car had 97k miles on the clock and it felt brand new - some serious temptation now but two concerns - how bad could the running costs really get and do I want something this high performance sitting in my driveway at night.... :confused2: Running costs aside, part of me things a coupe would be less risk of being lifted but that's probably just wishful thinking....

·
M3
176 Posts
The M5 is a pretty impressive beast alright, the way something of its size gains speed especially over 100 mph is class :smile:.

I haven't heard or seen much internet talk re M5s getting lifted, they don't seem to have the same attraction as fast Audis. Possibly the 175 mile range and no 4WD doesn't sit well if planning some robberies down the country.

If you're ever down West and want to compare it to the M3 let me know.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ive daily driven my m5 while ive had it and i must say the running costs etc are definatley worth it! They are a little bit special to drive imo. That said i am selling mine now! Ive loved every minute of it but its time to move on!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts