BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The e39 525i has run brilliantly for the past 7.5 years for us but during the week it died & stalled luckily when it was travelling up the off ramp of the dual carriageway. It would not start for about 10 minutes. Them it ran as normal. I went to start it today (it was parked up for a few days). It started normally but after a couple of minutes it started to idle very rough & sounded like it was misfiring & spluttering. The idle also kicked up just above 1100rpm. It would not rev at all even putting the pedal to the floor.
There was an error relating to the TPS (not sure exactly what the specific code was), the EML light & Traction Control light had also come on.
I reset the error & then restarted the car, everything returned to normal. I drove the car about ten miles & everything seemed normal enough, maybe there was a bit of hesitation, I couldn't tell, because the centre support bearing is also causing an issue.
I think the issue might be related to the "fly by wire" throttle body or throttle position sensor. Has anybody experienced issues with the TB or TPS or have you had similar symptoms?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I had a similar problem (symptoms) with my previous 330 a few years ago. When the lights came up on the dash it would drop out of cruise control if that was selected. It started out happening every couple of days and the car would go in to limp home iirc, itwould clear by turning the engine off and restarteing. Throttle body and a few replacement coil packs sorted it but iirc the coil packs showed up as distinct fault codes so it might just have been an unhappy coincidence in my case.

Reactions: rebel.ranter

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies lads. I'm pretty convinced myself that its the TB. It's also making this wired drone/whine noise intermittently. I thought it was the water pump or alternator bearings but its not coming from them. Could the throttle body whine? Maybe an air leak? I had the TB off recently when I replaced the CCV system.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
yes sound like throttle body problem .i have one in perfect order ,so U welcome to try it .
I might take you up on that. Thanks Valdas.

Here's a short video I took of it before I reset the error & dropped it to the garage here in Cork. You can just about make out the strange noise its making.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts