BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So today I managed to get the brake pipe/hose out on the right rear. Had to resort to cutting it out with the angle grinder as it resisted all attmepts to break loose. New hose installed and had to make a little add on to the copper line as it was too short to reconnect after the cut. Also cleaned and adjusted the hand brake and replaced the springs. Shoes were almost new so didnt bother replacing. I don't know why people don't pay an extra tenner for the spring kit when doing shoes.

Removed the spoiler , filled , primed and painted. Didn't kill myself on the sanding / painting but it worked out quite well with just an off the shelf yellow from the motor factor. Retest booked for wednesday so fingers crossed. Just hope the spolier delete (and acompanying failed brake light) will pass. The spoiler was quite heavy so happy with the weight loss and I think the car looks better.

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
How do you manage the insurance, their extremely slow to touch a car with any modification. Even a basic mod such as switching runflats for normal tyres.
Yeh that was a mountain for sure but I was very lucky in having a friend of a friend who is an insurance broker go to bat for me. Took six months and lots of mesing but he made it happen. The first premium on the E36 was astonomical. Think 17 year old on a provisional in an M3:shocked: and was strictly third party full stop. Then the second time around I got three quotes and a massive reduction. Last year I think five companies quoted and its gotten more sensible but the reality is while I'm covered for third party and my own medical costs etc I'd only get the value of an equivalent petrol model in the event of an accident. I can live with that as I'd just transfer the bits to another car in the event of a write off.

A good broker is essential. Internet or phone drones reading from a script will get you nowhere.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Presumably failing on emissions because the reading was zero? That's hilarious!

How exactly is the gearbox shifter connected to the electric drive system? Does it regulate max power sent to the wheels? You mentioned 'not to use first gear'.
Yeh failed because the computer could not see any emissions.Not really their fault as it was the first ev in the country to ever be tested! As I said they were quite helpful and I've had no probs ever after.

The electric motor is connected directly to the gearbox input shaft. No clutch. This works because unlike an engine the motor does not have an idle speed and the inertia of the armature does not cause the synchros any problems. The motor controller regulates power based upon throttle position , current and rpm via a pid loop running in a microcontroller. The motor in the E39 is very big and very torquey. Add to that the very low ratio of first gear and an nct guy with a heavy foot so the software control loop oscillated briefly resulting in an application of full power and resultant burnout:D This wont happen when pulling away in 2nd or higher. Would be good fun on a track day!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
So just passed NCT. Very happy with that. It's first in 5 years! Perhaps I'm just used to the E39 but the front seemed a bit bouncy on the motorway. Shocks I guess ?? Anyhow I called to my local breakers to see if they had an M44 rad and fan. Didn't but gave me the one in the pic below and said it was from an E36. Anyone know if it would fit before I go tearing into the job??

Oh and a free spoiler to anyone interested! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quick update. Got a steering wheel and an electric fan rad from some members. Thanks lads:) Swapped the wheel and still sorting bits for the rad fan swap. Two 300 miles trips to Cork under her belt and going strong!

Attachments

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Running on LPG finally:D Better late then never i guess. Too many cars. Not enough time.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Damien,Cian here that bought the car off you back in January,here's a pic of how she looks today,so far I've given it a good compound and wax,alcantara interior fitted,Motorsport replica wheels,refurbished with 4 new tyres,m3 spoiler,standard diffuser fitted,supersprint exhaust,new battery,new shocks and springs,m3 50/50 rear lights,arches sanded treated and painted,still a few more bits to do like m3 front bumper and I have m3 mirrors that I must paint too :smile:

Attachments

21 - 28 of 28 Posts