BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

201 - 220 of 243 Posts

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #201
I'm at snails pace approaching the finish line, the list of shitty jobs seems endless and everywhere I turn im running into problems.

After initial start up I had a very festive dash, SMG cog, ABS, T/C, handbrake, CEL etc..... Most of these were to be expected but just as I was starting to diagnose my computer decided to die. Two weeks later a new laptop arrived with all the software set up so I was back in business. First off was the yellow cog, this was my biggest worry. The SMG box was selecting 5th when pushed from neutral then cycling back through the gears and eventually finding first. I still cant explain why it was doing this but after checking and clearing a voltage supply error the cog light went out and the box functions perfect now.

Next up the engine had developed a misfire, its a 42k mile engine so HG problems were not at the forefront of my mind however its always a worry. A scan of the engine electronics was showing no faults so after leaving it to warm up and reving the nuts off it the misfire has cleared. Blowing off the cobwebs I guess.... :D. Il be giving the car a full service before she hits the road anyway as I suspect the plugs need doing.

Next up was something I wasn't to concerned with but now is my biggest problem.... The T/C, abs and handbrake light are all on. Diagnostics was showing about 9 faults in total, 4 wheel speed sensors (which I though was odd) steering angle and a few others.... I replaced all four sensors, recalibrated the steering angle and the other faults cleared.... Except one. 5DF5- DSC module death..... I cant figure out how its happened or what happened to it during its removal and refit but I have no voltage at the pump and I cant activate it using any software. I removed the pump this evening and sent it to be rebuilt so fingers crossed....

Next up was the rear lights, the coupe was fitted with LED's whereas the saloon uses halogen lamps. The wiring is much the same so it was a case of splicing and joining...

Tail end for saloon lights

I snipped the plug from the coupe loom

Wires joined and soldered....

Result....

This is the DSC module removed and ready to be sent for rebuilding...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #204
Big update when I get home this evening. Aiming to finish it this week in time for blarney.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #205
Ok so not as big an update as I had planned..... :confused:. I had intended on having it out for a spin this evening but still no brakes..

Ok so back to it.... I though I had taken more pics but obviously not....

The rear lights were wired as you say in the last update however, shortly after I noticed that only one of the rear park lights on either side was illuminating. I guess the wiring on the coupe loom is slightly different to that of the saloon. After several "prototype" rear light fittings I ended up simply bridging power across the circuit. I used a steel contactor held in place with two small steel rivets. Its a neat enough job and works fine. (No pics though)

Next up more bits started to arrive, I got some LED number plate lights in white and an Eibach pro kit.

There is quite a bit of difference between the OEM springs and the Eibach.

It sits much nicer now....

Next up, there were some imperfections in the drivers side front door which I wasn't happy with so had them repainted..

The the flattening and polishing began....Wet sanding is a pain in the arse... Obviously Im after a good finish so we started with 1500g, then 2000, 3000 and 6000 to finish. So far about half the car is done and the results are impressive!

My Mk60 module arrived back after sending it away to be repaired. However Im no better off then I was last two weeks ago.... :(. The car was showing 5DF5- internal failure, I was advised that the pump overloaded the module and burnt it out. Now after getting the unit back the trifecta of lights remain, this time the codes are all different- 5E59, 5E1F and 5DF0, the first relate to coding and a VIN match which means the guys who "repaired" the pump either sent me back some random unit or else they wiped my cars coding off my pump (I didn't even know that was possible) The third code is the most worrying, it relates to DSC pump failure :(, Im pretty pissed off now and someone is getting a fu**ing in the morning..... I may record the phonecall and add it to this build thread! :D

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #207
It was well time I tackled the mirrors, earlier on in the thread you would have seen me modifying the mirros bases for fitting to the car, I got them back from the painter so decided to tackle them. Basically you offer the bases up and when your happy with the position you mark the door and drill new holes.

Assembly...

And fitted....

If im honest the fit is crap! The base is too small to cover all the door rubbers but you would need to be looking closely to spot it. They will remain for now.

Fitted new inner rear lamps.

Spolier and shark fin (yes its a functional shark fin :D)

Boot carpets fitted up... They need a good clean..

Interior is finally finished.... Im back to the drawing board on the dash trims, the primer does not have enough build to cover up the texture from the cube effect. I will source another set at a later date. For now they will remain grey.

The polishing is coming out well, at last the paint is getting its glassy finish.

·
Registered
6,707 Posts
I actually meant to comment that you wouldn't be able to paint over the trim - you could have used a spray filler, its what you'd use to remove texture on bumpers before spraying - but its really unnecessary given how cheap the standard lastic trims are on eBay.

If you were prepared to spend a bit of cash on it at some stage, you could get Bespoke Leathering to do an OEM style retrim on them - the trims were available in leather. Had them do the glvoebox trim on my E36

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #209
Do you remember how much they were charging for that? (ballpark) Ive never seen them in leather... :nod:

Sounds nice.....

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #211
I found out that guys threw my module in a skip and sent me an off the shelf part. This lead to the coding related faults. Im not too worried about that but the DSC pump on the unit they sent was faulty.

Overall Im happy enough with them though, I rang them on Tuesday with the intention of giving a good f**cking but they were sound about everything. A brand new DSC pump arrived from them this morning. Il fit it tonight so fingers crossed....

Reactions: ian-909

·
Registered
6,707 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Saw this today. Well impressed :cool:

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #215
There was a show here in Ireland over the weekend which I had intended on getting too. The show was on Saturday and as Friday morning came around I still had not actually driven the car.... Its fair to expect teething problems so I had hoped to have a few hours local driving before heading off on the 10 hour round trip.... This was not to be the case! :D

My new DSC pump arrived Thursday evening and was fitted immediately.

Old pump removed....

And refitted.....

After a few hours bleeding the brake pedal was biting nicely so it was time for its maiden voyage. I had hoped to get it into BMW for KDS alignment but time was not on my side so a trip to the local tyre centre would have to suffice.

The tracking rig they use had the geometry measurements for the M3 CSL suspension so I went with that set-up, Im sure it makes no difference but it was nice to have the option anyway....

The car drove great on the way into the tyre centre and back out which was about 15 miles in total so I decided to finish off the last few bits and head for Cork...

I changed the Salmon relay and fitted up the bonnet, hinges, catches etc.. and finally the grilles and last of the badges....

I set off on the 5 hour Journey around 9PM, the car performed great, mechanically its 99%. There are a few lights on the dash and there is a but of wind noise from around the wing mirrors but I expected this anyway....

As I went around the car I picked out a few spots that need touching up and the passenger side front door needs to be painted a third time, I keep getting a reaction in the paint fro some reason, you wouldnt notice it until its out in the light but Il get it dealt with it...

Anyway a good weekend was had, the car took home a "Best modified" of the show and although i felt there were more deserving cars there on the day I was delighted to have taken home a prize.

Here are some pics from the show. These pics were taken by Paddy McGrath (www.pmcgphotos.com) and Falcon who is a member on some of the forums. I hope they dont mind me using them....

Phase 1 is complete......

·
Registered
218 Posts
Unbelievable thread, the attention to detail amazes me but in knowing you, doesn't surprise me! Prize well and truly deserved IMO

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #219
Phase 1 complete.
Phase 2 - put it up for sale :D
LOL,I might hold onto this one for a while....:nod:

Phase 2 involves either a big ass blower or carbon airbox :D

201 - 220 of 243 Posts