BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

221 - 240 of 243 Posts

·
coupe dude
1,040 Posts
Have to say car was unreal fair play... and we had a good night drinking and taking shite lol ;)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #222
That we did.... Roll on the next piss up.... :happy:

Reactions: jryaners

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #225
Was that in the Gaydon coverage? I havn't seen it actually...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #228
So anyway its been a while since I updated this. With work and day to day life I havn't had much time to drive it so its pretty much been parked in the garage. Last weekend I decided to take it out for a blast and with that came the reminder of all the creases I have to Iron out. I got stuck in.

I started out by fitting the new rear tyres I had sitting in there, I went with Contiseals, they are used in new Audi's and according to them they wont deflate if punctured. That remains to be seen.... My bad radio signal has been diagnosed as a broken cable between the FM receiver and the BM54 module in the boot. As luck would have it you can buy the cable from BMW so thats currently on order.

Next up was spacers. I went with 16mm for the front and will leave the rear as is. Strangely im getting rubbing from the rear on the eibach springs.

Before:

After:

Next up came the annoying wind noise, I added some additional sound deadening in the voids behind the mirror and used some airtight tape to hold it all in place. Next I decided to scrap the OE vapor barrier in favor of dynamat. I hope this will solve the problem...Im also going to do the boot floor.

One down, three to go....

Next on the list is the exhaust. I noticed a slight blow at the manifold joint and I suspect that one of the sealing rings is damaged so Ive ordered a full set of new rings and gaskets. I also will tackle the dreaded backbox clamps while im at it.

Please excuse the rubbish pictures, they looked fine until I put them on the computer...

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #229
So ive had this annoying issue since I "finished" the car, there seemed to be a little blow in the exhaust at the manifold- center pipe section. This was identified as a damaged sealing ring on the outer pipe. This was most likely damaged when I was fitting it up originally. At idle or on full song you couldn't hear anything but at low speed with the window down I could hear it... Anyway I decided enough was enough so here we go...

While I had the exhaust off I decided to split it up and replace everything.

Oh, and also I hit a big milestone last weekend! :)

Form underneath you could see the rotten flanges at the back box, I probably should have replaced this last year ...

The bolts at the cat were no better.....

I decided to drop the whole lot in one piece

I had to but all the bolts at the cat which was a pain...

The set of new gaskets consists of

2 manifold to centre pipe sealing rings
2 cat to center pipe gaskets
2 center pipe to back box sealing rings
2 66mm exhaust clamps courtesy of Peugeot

New bolts throughout

New sealing rings at manifold

This is the typical set up at the back box when using Peugeot clamps

So after fitting everything up and firing up the car I'm glad to report that all is good. That annoying ticking noise is a thing of the past and it sounds a whole lot smoother!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Spotted this on my way to work this morning. From what I could see with the rain it looked the part! Hard work paid of big time! Would love to se it in the dry some time!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #231
Spotted this on my way to work this morning. From what I could see with the rain it looked the part! Hard work paid of big time! Would love to se it in the dry some time!
Call over to blanchardstown multi-storey tonight, a few of us meet up there on a Thursday evening. ;)

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #234
Yeah across from the Ben Dunne gym. Anytime from 8 onwards all welcome including Bart, although he might be serving at mass this evening?

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #236
So its been six months or so since my last update and while nothing much has changed I've spend quite a bit of money... The first big hit was a registration tax bill so many thousands later I am the proud owner of a set of registration plates .... I had to dip into my carbon airbox fund for that so my plans are on the back burner for a while.... To cheer myself up i bought an intravee which is a very clever piece of kit indeed! Unfortunately its never worked for me as it wont connect my iPod or should I say old iPhone 4 I use for music. It can connect to every other iPod/ iPhone ever made but mine so go figure?

Even though the car has only done about 4k miles since its last service it was creeping up on the 12 month anniversary so all new fluids filters and plugs were ordered.

I also fitted a pair of 12mm spacers to the rear.

After all that was done it was time to set off for my first proper show of the year. Gaydon 2015. Shortly after getting off the boat I was greeted by this.. I had forgot how bad traffic can be in the UK

The BMW CC festival in Gaydon was excellent, I arrived at around 8am and left around 4:30pm and I'm pretty sure I didnt get to see it all. The one thing I did take away from it was some inspiration for my next project so hopefully I can get that under way soon! I also met a chap named John AKA MirrorJohn on 'cutters. He coded in a few extra features to the car most importantly uploaded the CSL SMG rev matching software. For anyone who owns an SMG car GET THIS DONE, its awesome! So here's a few random shots from over the summer.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Looks great man, i read through the whole lot a few weekels back ! Some work gone in! Only thing id do is get chrome side grills, and try fit a facelift boot grab handle, then it wud be as close to a genuine m3 saloon as u cud get!! Well done man!

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #238
I had the chrome side grilles but got rid of them in favour of gloss black to match the window trims. I had intended on completing the theme with gloss kidney grilles too but set I got were a shite fit so I've left them off. The boot handle from the coupe is a very bad fit on the saloon lid so I've left that off too.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I was circling this car for about 20 minutes in Brooks on the nass road a few months back. I tried hard to find flaws in the panels but its was just perfect.

Fair play man, its an amazing bit of work.

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #240
I was circling this car for about 20 minutes in Brooks on the nass road a few months back. I tried hard to find flaws in the panels but its was just perfect.

Fair play man, its an amazing bit of work.

Would you believe I spotted you that morning. I saw your van parked there and recalled the name from the widebody E36 you had or still have? I would have dropped over for a chat but I was heading into a meeting there at the time.

221 - 240 of 243 Posts