BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
Hope everyone is keeping well. Here's a couple of cars I had in last week that had very colour-rich paintwork and came up very nice after a detail.

First in was a Lamborghini Murcielago. A beautiful Pearl Yellow colour, but looking rather grimey after a long road trip. The car is in from the UK and whatever was used on the paint (pretty sure some expensive wax) did not suit the car, and was pretty sticky & dirt-attractive.

With the car in for only one day, there was a lot to get completed. And you can't scrub a car like this. In fact, the cleaning of the paint should be as touchless as possible. Prepping started with a pre-wash spray of R-1ne Breakthrough shampoo at 20:1 over the bugs, road-grime, bird-lime and all around the door-jambs, gaps, crevices etc. After 5 minutes, I simply steamed the worst areas to loosen up the dirt when the pressure washer is introduced.

There were a lot of places that haven't been properly cleaned before such as the engine-lid release.

Bird-droppings..... :eek:hwell:

So with all the dirt happily loosened on the paint it was time to get on with the prep...

Prep process goes like this : Prespray - Steam - Rinse - Initial Wash - Rinse - Full Foam Wash - Rinse - Clay - Rinse - Wheels & Arches - Full Wash & Rinse - Dry with towel & compressed air.

The excellent PolishAngel Glaycolic Clay.

The rear of the car was heavy with carbon deposits and tar spots so it needed clay treatment the most.

After the full car was cleansed, the clay was showing some horrible contamination (time for the bin!)

With time pushing on, the rest of the day was split into three. Paint polish & protection, Engine bay detail & protection and the interior detailing.

For the paint, one stage of rotary polishing with PolishAngel Invincible 9H - a micro-abrasive ceramic-based polish which removes marks and embeds a light layer of ceramic sealant into the paint pores. This was followed by PolishAngel Cosmic Glasscoat with a Yellow Tint in it...

This is a long-term coating with a huge gloss factor and colour enrichment as well long-term protection thanks to the silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide content. Two coats were applied which allowed me to attend to the exhausts, interior and engine bay in between coats.

So the camera was set aside while I got stuck in. Here are the after shots taken that evening....

The next day, something different arrived in. A cool little car, while not as expensive as the Murcielago, it still needed a bit of TLC to bring out the best in its colour. This Toyota GT86 is only 18 months old but mistakenly had a really bad wash technique used on it (like 99% of cars out there I suppose). The hazing was really taking away from the overall appearance so I spent two days rectifying the problem and giving the red back some of its missing "juice". :)

The last car I had in last week was this little beauty. A frequent Best In Class winner getting a pre-show prep before it goes to a UK show. :)

Thanks for looking. Don't forget to join me on Facebook where I regularly put new updates and photos up. If you need any information about having your car professionally detailed, whether an intensive paint correction, a winter protection service, an interior detail or a complete reconditioning and restoration, please don't hesitate to contact me.

Cheers :)
Brian in Spirit Detailing

·
Registered
6,506 Posts
excellent job. murci looks good but I cant believe the interior. The state of the carpets for such a car and the seats are just old fashioned looking. You done a serious job

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
excellent job. murci looks good but I cant believe the interior. The state of the carpets for such a car and the seats are just old fashioned looking. You done a serious job
Well, to be honest, the owner enjoys his cars. He has his fun and then gets them professionally tidied up or fully detailed and protected. Its good to see the cars used properly, not just kept on a pedestal (which is also nice if you can do it!)

Must be nice to work on such amazing machines
Its nice to see them and work on them alright. I couldn't do it all the time though... my speciality is reconditioning and transforming old and worn-looking cars back into something as close to new as possible. I love a challenge that makes me use my knowledge and experience. (although I usually kick myself for saying I love a challenge when I see what comes in the door!) There's a couple of good projects booked in over the coming weeks like that. ;)

Thanks all for the comments. :)

·
Registered
807 Posts
I like your ahem carbon extension rod ..... where did you pic that up - see tailpipe internal polishing for evidence that this is not a weirdo pick up line

·
Inspect-Correct-Perfect
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I like your ahem carbon extension rod ..... where did you pic that up - see tailpipe internal polishing for evidence that this is not a weirdo pick up line
LOL... Yep, I have a 3" extension and a 6" extension... put them together for the full 9" and you'll reach the places that others can't!!

I can get you a set if you like. Can't remember the price but I think it was between €25 - €30 mark.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts