BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I sold my first avus blue 525d late 2009 and I was sorry i ever sold it, I simply love the e39 and I'm a big fan of the 25d, for me its a bit of an unsung hero, I'm not saying its better than a 530d but i just prefer it.

This is my first Avus

That was an absolutely lovely car and I've wanted another avus 525d ever since, avus blue is my favourite BMW colour.

I've had a few VAGS and since then and last year I decided i was going to find another 525d. I started my search , finding a good one was a nightmare, I looked at 4 within a few weeks of one another in the uk and they were all lemons.

I resigned myself to the fact that i was not going to find a perfect one so decided I would buy one and just fix it to the point that I would be happy with it.

So i bought this one

When i went to collect it, it wasnt what I thought, but it had an honest history so i took it home, paid the duty, serviced it and drove it for 4 months.

I then stumbled onto a low mileage Avus Blue 525d on pistonheads, I made a few phone calls, had the car inspected and made the purchase. I havent got many pictures of the car but here is one i took this evening

Its been absolutely meticulously maintained, the previous owner has had it for 7 years, it hasnt had a sponge taken to it in any of that time, there are two tiny parking dents on the right hand side of the car but I'll get them removed in due course.

It had 79200 miles on it when i bought it on, there is just shy of 79900 on it now

The lengths that were gone to by the previous owner to keep this car up to scratch were just ridiculous.

The spare wheel has never been used.

The spare keys look like they have never been used.

He wasnt happy with the way the buttons were wearing on the control panel for the instruments, so he replaced them, all the parking sensors have been replaced, the PDC module has been replaced.

I tried to take a photo with the flash off but it was getting dark

On 20th on January, it had 4 brand new continentals put on it as well as 4 new disks and pads and an inspection 2.

The pipe with the flexible exhaust coupling was replaced (its a bit boomy at low RPM's i'm going to jack it up and see what they did.

To say i'm happy with the car is a massive understatement, I cannot believe how well it was looked after and to find such a peach was very lucky.

Few odds and ends that I want to do
VRT it, bloody vrt has gone up by 400 euro in the last week
Shoot up to andy and collect my HID's
Change the gearbox oil and diff oil
Get the boys in Detailing Shed or Spirit to give it a good once over
Fit my style 65's, gotta get them refurbed and fit m5 arch liners first
Fit an m5 lower bumper grill
Fit a Dension Five
Live Map it
Do something with the exhaust tips
Fit the 545 short shift and clubsort gear stick.

I dont think I'm going to go mad changing the car as the previous owner worked so hard to keep it original, lets see how long that lasts :D

all comments, feedback and suggestions are welcome

here are 2 photos I have from pistonheads

You can see the replacement in the distance f10 520d Touring M sport

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks man, I got up yesterday, had to go to work decided I would leave a bit early, went down to tramore for a cup of coffee, then hit the coast road to dungarvan. I know it's no crotch grabbing M5 but on a good road its an absolute hoot.

·
E39 530D Sport
4,835 Posts
Lovely looking car you got yourself. Looks a right little gem. There was a few of us around at a meet yesterday and finished up in Tramore.

You have the right plans for it too ;)

Good luck with it

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lovely looking car you got yourself. Looks a right little gem. There was a few of us around at a meet yesterday and finished up in Tramore.

You have the right plans for it too ;)

Good luck with it
Thanks man, really loving it, this car feels and looks like a 2 year old car.

I'll try to make the next meet but I'm gonna tuck it away for a bit and use my mk2 gti until that's sold, Its been sitting in the shed giving me evils for a few months now so I'll use it till it sells then concentrate on the e39

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What a great way to treat a car. If only more people took to the same standards as this chap in the UK!

I wouldn't let go of this one if I were you ;)
Thanks man.

Yeah, it lead an absolute pampered life and I'm going to do my best to treat it the same. This one is going nowhere :D

·
E39 530i
E39 530i, E38 728i, E91 318i
1,492 Posts
Very, very nice. Love that the spare wheel wasn't used, and that he replaced all the buttons (something I have also done).

So nice to see an unabused cared-for E39, they're few and far between these days.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Very, very nice. Love that the spare wheel wasn't used, and that he replaced all the buttons (something I have also done).

So nice to see an unabused cared-for E39, they're few and far between these days.
Amen to that, very few people seem to appreciate the term "preventative maintenance".

·
Registered
683 Posts
That's a lovely car.
Avus Blue is a Really nice colour.
One of the best.

I had a manual e39 525d myself.
Great car and very under-rated.
Best of luck with her.

Ecotune Decat is one mod I would recommend.

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Nice one, keep it that way now! I still like my e39, thought about replacing it but there's few better cars out there, never mind the amount of money you'd have to spend getting something "better".

·
Registered
338 Posts
In super condition by the looks of it... +1 on the colour, it really suits the e39.

The f10 tourings are really growing on me as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Gorgeous looking motor there Chewi. you were lucky to find one so well cared for but you wont regret it, that colour is the business ! I have a topaz blue E39 myself, always thought the blue suited the E39s best. I agree with you that it would be a shame to go too overboard after the previous owner spent so much effort keeping her as OEM as possible, but the ideas you have for her are spot on and wont take away from that. Well wear with her mate, shes a cracker !

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
That's a lovely car.
Avus Blue is a Really nice colour.
One of the best.

I had a manual e39 525d myself.
Great car and very under-rated.
Best of luck with her.

Ecotune Decat is one mod I would recommend.

I was thinking of going down the ecotune route but I would like to drive an ecotune decat'd e39 to see if I was happy with the sound, I'm going to confirm it over the weekend but the previous owner told me the flexible pipe on my car was replaced and the car is slightly more boomy inside then it would be standard.

I'm going to jack it up and have a look and maybe use it as an excuse to fit the ecotune decat, in saying that though, I've read a few bad reviews about the ecotune build quality

Good luck with the new car Chewi, I wish I could find a seller like that whenever I'm buying a car.
Thanks alot, I was very lucky but I lost alot of money on the one I just sold so its swings and roundabouts really :D

Very nice, well wear. You just can't beat Avus blue on an e39.
Agreed :D I do love it, the depth of the colour is stunning apparently there was only 199 Avus Blue 525d manuals made, i've had 3 so I dont know if i accept that figure :rolleyes:

Nice one, keep it that way now! I still like my e39, thought about replacing it but there's few better cars out there, never mind the amount of money you'd have to spend getting something "better".
I'll do my best, they really are alot of car for the money, I would struggle to think of a better car for similar money.

fine looking steed looks very tidy and well maintained :cool:
Thanks man

In super condition by the looks of it... +1 on the colour, it really suits the e39.

The f10 tourings are really growing on me as well.
Thanks. Interestingly enough, the previous owner isn't that impressed with the f10, he thought the e39 was a much better built car and regretted forking out £46k for the 520d in the photos

Love it Chewi

Hard to beat a clean e39 best of luck with it ;)
Thanks man, I'm going to be onto you further about giving it a good detail, sorry I didnt reply to your PM, been busy the last week :D only issue with me is logistics, as i'm south of the coutry and would need to leave the car with you for 2 days but I'll figure something out.

Gorgeous looking motor there Chewi. you were lucky to find one so well cared for but you wont regret it, that colour is the business ! I have a topaz blue E39 myself, always thought the blue suited the E39s best. I agree with you that it would be a shame to go too overboard after the previous owner spent so much effort keeping her as OEM as possible, but the ideas you have for her are spot on and wont take away from that. Well wear with her mate, shes a cracker !
Thanks very much, I plan to hang on to it for a long time :D

·
(formerly Orientblaue36)
1,711 Posts
Really nice car Mate, well wear ;):D

Reactions: DavidK
1 - 20 of 222 Posts