BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I got a good few emails about my mobile detail and paint correction service since the E30 & Z4 thread.

Just to clarify what to expect from a single-day paint correction:

Example A. If your car is a few years old and is pretty hazed over with deep scratches, then a single-day's detailing and polishing will give the exterior a really good enhancement. Most of the haze will be gone, but if there are scratches, they will remain. Obviously, the bigger the car, the less time there will be to spend on each panel, but I have had really good results on LWB 4x4's, so I can get around a large car pretty well.

Example B. If your car is less than 5 years old and has been treated well by the owner (ie not going to drive-through car washes, or valet hand-brush washes) then the result will be better again. Mostly, it is just the deeper scratches and random marks that remain.

Example C. If your car (or paint) is pretty new and has only superficial swirls and hazing, then a single day's polishing will be perfect as a maintenance and protection treatment.

Example D. Split Detailing - I'm doing one of these on Friday. A maintenance detail where the interior gets a good shampoo, steam cleaning and protection, and also the exterior gets a steam cleaning, a light polishing and nice, durable protection with Crystal Diamond. It helps keep a fairly new car maintained in immaculate condition! :cool:

Its still a good time to get the mobile service. I've been all around, from beyond Donegal Town, near Glenties to the very west of Cork. Actually, most of my work has been in the workshop this summer, but the mobile service has been very popular all the same.

Its August. Make sure you get the car booked in for a maintenance detail direct 2 U. :D

Cheers
Brian :)

PS. Crystal Diamond lasts months, not weeks. It will get you right into the winter.

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are there many, Keith?

I usually just request the client to purchase their touch-up kit from the dealer and I use it in the course of a detail.

Its not body-shop results. I basically fill, set, blade, (maybe sand) and polish. But if there are loads of chips, its going to take me all day!

I've used the kits imported from UK or US on a few cars, but I don't think I like them. To get them nicely flush, you need to sand or polish them down a bit and that seems to take the gloss off the fresh paint blob.

Cheers
Brian

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Are there many, Keith?

I usually just request the client to purchase their touch-up kit from the dealer and I use it in the course of a detail.

Its not body-shop results. I basically fill, set, blade, (maybe sand) and polish. But if there are loads of chips, its going to take me all day!

I've used the kits imported from UK or US on a few cars, but I don't think I like them. To get them nicely flush, you need to sand or polish them down a bit and that seems to take the gloss off the fresh paint blob.

Cheers
Brian
on a scale of 1 to 10 Brian, 1 being feck all, and 10 being covered in them,i'd say the the amount of them is in the 6 region.

being quoted 400 to spray the bonnet :(

·
Premium Member
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a lot of touch-up. Its not so bad when there are just a few chips but when you have a lot of touched up chips on the bonnet, it can still draw the eye to the repairs. You probably still wouldn't be happy with the overall look of the bonnet.

The purpose of the chip repair kits is really just to protect the metal and prevent rust. Often, good results are possible but they are never invisible repairs.

If you want to drop by sometime, I'll be glad to have a look anyway. Just give me a shout in advance. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts