BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My radio is displaying the correct pixels but no sound. It's the original 'business class' cassette player in a 00 e39. I've checked all the connections and fuses all seem ok.
Can I plug in another similar unit to see if the head unit is the problem or would there be code issues?
I see amplifiers mentioned as well on other forums where would they be located?

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Check in your boot on left hand side and pull tab back where cd changer is and amp is prob there

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Phillip. I don't have the CD player in this, it's the casstte type radio. If I knew what the amp looked like I'd check it.

I had the seats and rear parcel shelf out changing rear springs. Ive also changed the rear lenses. The wiring seems ok nothing disconnected. I noticed some moisture around the battery area but I'm not sure was it damp before I changed the rear lights.

What does the amp look like and is there a test I could do on it?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I switched a head unit from another car into it yesterday that was the same. Display lit no sound. Rechecked all wiring again in daylight yesterday all seems ok. Could it be a module problem I wonder? Were is the module located?

·
Site Sponsor
1,966 Posts
I switched a head unit from another car into it yesterday that was the same. Display lit no sound. Rechecked all wiring again in daylight yesterday all seems ok. Could it be a module problem I wonder? Were is the module located?
You need your "BM34" radio module changed. Known issue and not cheap to fix I'm afraid. Unit sits in the side when you take the radio out on cars like your's' It;s a silver square box just like a radio without the front panel.

HTH

·
Registered
9,979 Posts
as chris siad above its most likely the bm24 module member on here had the same problem we popped a new one in and it sorted it

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,621 Posts
Have a BM24 for sale any good to you and more than likely dry solder joints on yours.

See my M5 thread for problem fault etc

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Radio Module.

It went on my old X5, one speaker was gone. Lluckily it was under warranty as it was a €900 fix at the time.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you for replies. So what I thought was the radio unit is actually a module? I'll open up that and see if the are any visual faults. I have access to a spare unit which I have tried already.
I'll see what happens.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts