BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

What is the general consensus on the 2.0 litre petrol engines fitted to the coupe and convertible? I'm seriously considering one from a main dealer with good spec and 2 year warranty. However have been out off put by the injector / coil pack debacle that is still without a permanent solution, or has it been solved?

Anyone with good or bad experience with these cars care to share?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
injectors are a problem no doubt, however the elephant in the room is that the e93 320i engine is a bit weak for the car a 320d would have more torque. Its better in the e92 as the weight is down but not much better. It depends on how interested you are in power and all that stuff but for my taste having drive a e93 320i the engine is not a match to the car. My 2c

·
Registered
274 Posts
After my eE46 coupe, I was after an e92 and I decided to go the extra bit for the convertible.

I drove a few and ended up with a 08 325i auto, tax isnt too bad at 630, not much more than the 2 liter on the old system. The six sounds lovely with the roof dropped.

Regarding the roof, its as quiet as the regular coupe, drops in 22 seconds by remote control or switch in the cabin. Luggage space is a little restricted with the roof stowed.

The only issue so far was a frozen washer jet. Fixed by BMW warranty.

·
F10 530d M Sport
1,011 Posts
It's the 320i with ED that suffer from the injector/coil problems, this engine was introduced around September 2007. ED models have start/stop technology. Try and find a pre ED model which don't have the same issues afaik.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Look out for aluminium bolts that holding engine head on issue..

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I've owned a 320i Msport coupe since Jan 2008 and have never had an ounce of bother with it. I had to get a software upgrade alright about a year after I bought the car to take care of an engine malfunction light which lit up on the dash. The software upgrade was a five minute job and took care of the problem. After that, the car has been faultless.

You're always going to get 'lemons' with any model and that's what you're going to read about on many of the forums. If you look at some of the US sites, you'd never dream of buying a 335i with all of their associated turbo problems etc.

If you're getting a good deal on the 320i and you're getting a decent warranty, go for it.

If you've driven the car yourself and are happy enough with the performance, then you should be able to decide for yourself as to whether or not you're going to be happy with the 320i.

Unfortunately a lot of the lads on forums like this are really only interested in horse power and performance and to be honest that's a bit of a shame sometimes, since you miss the other redeeming qualities of a car. Most lads haven't even driven an E92 320i and are quite willing to slate it due to its lack of horses and the fact that it has a four pot engine. Unfortunately that's just a fact of life on forums like this.

Shame really since the E92 320i really is a good car.

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
It really depends where your coming from years ago I had a 316i I loved it to bits but when I sold it I got a 320d which I thought wow this thing has serious grunt and is great to drive , then I got a E90 330i and since then I can't go back in bhp I'm a junkie:D so I moved on to a 645ci and now I'm looking at M5's :rolleyes: I wouldn't be happy with a 320i but if I was coming from a 316i I would love it ,

It all depends what your used to , here's the facts

It looks good
It will be good to drive
It will prob be decent on fuel
It will be comfortable
It will prove have lots of toys

But May cost more than other cars if it goes wrong

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies guys.

It really makes sense what is discussed here. I'm coming from an E60 530d and E46 325ci. Yes the 6 cylinder cars have decent poke and reasonable economy, but as a daily driver I don't get to realize the full potential of the cars. That's the reason I'm thinking of a 4-pot petrol - mainly due to economical reasons - and the missus will be driving it more :(

BTW its the E46 coupe I'll be replacing

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
I came from a 2.0 GTI with DSG in january 2008 and I was always amazed by the poke that it had however I was never able to drive it to its full potential either. That's when I decided to buy an E92 320i. The class and styling of the car won me over.

To be honest, fuel economy is alright on my 320i...I get about 32mpg....mixed town and country driving...its good but not earth shattering.

The E93 Convertible will be worse since its a much heavier car with the metal folding roof etc.

Take this into mind as well, if you're basing your purchase on fuel economy.

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
however the elephant in the room is that the e93 320i engine is a bit weak for the car a 320d would have more torque. Its better in the e92 as the weight is down but not much better. It depends on how interested you are in power and all that stuff but for my taste having drive a e93 320i the engine is not a match to the car. My 2c
I'd definitely agree with this. E93 is too heavy for that engine, plus I don't think it sounds good enough to make the difference over the 320d in a convertible. If you don't fancy diesel, I would be doing everything possible to get into a 325i, and it'd probably be easier to haggle a good price on

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've owned a 320i Msport coupe since Jan 2008 and have never had an ounce of bother with it. I had to get a software upgrade alright about a year after I bought the car to take care of an engine malfunction light which lit up on the dash. The software upgrade was a five minute job and took care of the problem. After that, the car has been faultless.

You're always going to get 'lemons' with any model and that's what you're going to read about on many of the forums. If you look at some of the US sites, you'd never dream of buying a 335i with all of their associated turbo problems etc.

If you're getting a good deal on the 320i and you're getting a decent warranty, go for it.

If you've driven the car yourself and are happy enough with the performance, then you should be able to decide for yourself as to whether or not you're going to be happy with the 320i.

Unfortunately a lot of the lads on forums like this are really only interested in horse power and performance and to be honest that's a bit of a shame sometimes, since you miss the other redeeming qualities of a car. Most lads haven't even driven an E92 320i and are quite willing to slate it due to its lack of horses and the fact that it has a four pot engine. Unfortunately that's just a fact of life on forums like this.

Shame really since the E92 320i really is a good car.
That's a very fair and accurate point to make. However (and there always is an however)...if you ask questions about a car on a car forum, then 99% of people are really really interested in cars, which goes beyond the look and style. My mother for example loves her cars but that's as far as it goes. She knows nothing and cares less for the power etc. And that's fair enough.

If you ask a bunch of car enthusiasts about a particular car you are going to get a very much performance related respone. Its not that anyone is slating that car, its more that the answer is going to be very strongly opinionated.

So, in a nut shell, our man asked about a 320i and he got honest answers (I hope) from people who love cars. I suppose there are always people that give opinions and never drove one...which is why I bow out at this stage.

No ones slating the car - cos we all know its a savage car.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I know its a bit tedious going on about power and performance, espically seeing and the 320i have more performance than 90% of the cars out there but if that matter to you then it matters.

There is such good value in 325i & 335i out there that you would pay for the extra tax and fuel many times. I think if you are looking a a bottom of the range engine then you will have to deal with somebody pointing out its the bottom of the range....BTW I once owned a e90 316i so I know what I am talking about here its not that I am a displacement whore, but if you going to be driving top down its nice to have some go to go with the show.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I'd definitely agree with this. E93 is too heavy for that engine, plus I don't think it sounds good enough to make the difference over the 320d in a convertible. If you don't fancy diesel, I would be doing everything possible to get into a 325i, and it'd probably be easier to haggle a good price on
+1...
I know costello has an affinity for the 320i, and doesnt like people banging on about the 320d:p but I own a 320d msport, and love it, my sister owns a 320i E93 (auto) and its a pig...
For one the auto box isnt good enough, and secondly theres no power:p!!!

The fout pots are not as smooth as the 6pot as Im sure you know, so on that basis my choice would be 320d (E92) or 325i (E93)..

Regarding the headlight washer problem, thats now a goodwill issue, theres a good chance they wont be replaced on many cars next winter! Theyre €140 to buy apparently

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's the 320i with ED that suffer from the injector/coil problems, this engine was introduced around September 2007. ED models have start/stop technology. Try and find a pre ED model which don't have the same issues afaik.
having issues with my 2007 e92 ,new coil pack and plugs new engine fuel pump and new pot on injector yet it miss fires on pot one,,even after new plugs it runs great then very shortly plugs are soot black and pot one playing up again any ideas please

·
Registered
1 Posts
How goes your 320i now.

Looking at a 2008 cabriolet model now.
150,000 miles on it.
Roof and all electrical working.

3 months warrenty on gear box and engine.
What wluld be your taughts.

Anything common to break around thus millage?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts