BMW-Driver.net Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All, quick one and apologies if I've posted in the wrong section, feel free to move to the right section.

Is anyone familiar with the legal T&C's for a crew cab or commercial vehicle?

Basically, in short, I'm looking to buy a E92 M3, but I also need to keep my x5 jeep for work and SD&P use with the misses also insured as named driver. In order to go through with the purchase of the M3, I'll need to transfer all my no claims onto the M3 private policy or it will be extortionate money leaving no other option but to take out another new policy on the X5.

So that brings me to my X5, from what I gather I have two options, once M3 is bought, I'll need to either take out a new private class 2 policy (work & SD&P use) and use my 6 years named driver from her policy on it or I can take out a commercial policy. Deciding between the two policies is the question, it comes down to whether or not the misses can be a named driver on either policy and also can I carry kids in it?

If it's a case that you cannot do both of those things on the crew cab, am I correct in saying I have to go down the route of purchasing a newish 5 seater commercial, like the discovery's etc? I'm currently a sole trader, vat registered so any additional savings on yearly tax or vat would be great hence why I want to go commercial, however, I'm unsure as to where I stand on the legal side of things when needing to use it for private use also.

I hope all that makes sense, any help is greatly appreciated, help a man out to get his m3 haha!

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Got sorted, seems like some insurers will not allow family members etc to drive or be in the jeep but other insurance companies will allow it.

·
2007 LCI E60 535d MSport
4,722 Posts
Got sorted, seems like some insurers will not allow family members etc to drive or be in the jeep but other insurance companies will allow it.
I found Axa ok for the crew cab. SD&P covered and also passengers and also the other half as named driver. I was with them though Insure My Van.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.