1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
It works. Just takes time. Less is more approach. As the guy says clean the area and build the paint in the chip back up to the levle of the rest of paint. Just remember to leave room for the laquer. After wet sanding you'll need a resonably course compund to start buffing the gloss back in to paint.

Get down to Tesco (or equivalent) and buy a ween of packets of kids painting brushes. You know the wee fine ones. Perfect tool for this type of job.

Buy the touch up kit from the dealer to ensure perfect colour match.Just make sure the paint and laquer is warm before starting. Leave them on the radiator or out in the sun before starting.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
What car? Is it the E36 or the 6er? You could use 2pack on the E36 makes this way easier. How bad is the stone chip? Ear buds work well for this two imo and if buying paint tell your auto factors its for a bike or classic so they will give ya solvent.

Reactions: rebel.ranter

·
Doktor Displacement
4,738 Posts
What car? Is it the E36 or the 6er? You could use 2pack on the E36 makes this way easier. How bad is the stone chip? Ear buds work well for this two imo and if buying paint tell your auto factors its for a bike or classic so they will give ya solvent.
Cotton buds leave fluff.

Kids paint brushes are the job.

You can buy them for next to nothing.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Cotton buds leave fluff.

Kids paint brushes are the job.

You can buy them for next to nothing.
Have to disagree John. Most cotton buds unless they are extremely cheap will not leave fluff. Due to the fact you can twist or dab them they are perfect for doing multiple layers imo...

·
(formerly Orientblaue36)
1,711 Posts
+1 on the cotton buds, they worked well for me though I used paint with the lacquer already mixed into it..

Reactions: rebel.ranter

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Cheers, it was the 6. I was lazy Friday morning and actually parked a bit closer to the door of the local garage/shop. It was raining & I was hung over. Came out a minute later to see an Avensis parked on right close to it, feckin bint driving it took a chunk of paint out of the door.
I'm thinking of getting the door painted anyway. It was really badly painted in the past & has a few other chips on it. I might give wet sanding a go in the interim. I've three different touch up kits in Sapphire black, the dealer one, the Halfords one & Dr Color one. They all have their pluses & minuses. I think a fine brush might be the order of the day.
I wonder how this method would work on previously touched up chips?

I've a different plan for the e36, rear wing getting a bit of TLC soon.

·
Registered
45 Posts
It was £8.99 plus £2.25 shipping. That's the touch up kit with 30mls paint plus laquer and a couple of applicator sticks. I'm on the phone now but I'll post a link to the kit later this evening, very easy process to get what you need:)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts