BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
E90 BMW 320i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone got one of the new Parrot Asteroid radios yet?
www.parrot.com/asteroid
Seems like a great piece of kit.

I have a 05 3 Series with Professional radio, no bluetooth, no multi function steering wheel. Is there any adapters, amps, etc that I would need to make sure this radio works for me?

Called an installer on Friday and he said no problem with install and all would work fine. I just want to be 100% sure before I let him do the install.

·
087 6343208
152 Posts
should be straight forward
parts needed would be
radio facia panel
bmw to iso connector
possibly a aerial adaptor (maybe)
no major issues any installer worth
there salt should do in 30 mins!!!

·
///Member
1,966 Posts
Anyone got one of the new Parrot Asteroid radios yet?
www.parrot.com/asteroid
Seems like a great piece of kit.

I have a 05 3 Series with Professional radio, no bluetooth, no multi function steering wheel. Is there any adapters, amps, etc that I would need to make sure this radio works for me?

Called an installer on Friday and he said no problem with install and all would work fine. I just want to be 100% sure before I let him do the install.
you're looking at 300 for the radio and then up to 100 for the installation... That's a lot of money!

You won't need an amp or anything, these things always come with everything you'll need to install. (apart from the adapter to use your steering wheel controls but that's obviously not a problem for you!) so you'll be fine.

·
E90 BMW 320i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've only talked to a few installers so far so if anyone can recommend decent guys based close to Tallaght or mobile service.

@D.R: Installer said about an hour. Should it take that?
Should I get the facia and iso adapter before hand or would the installer supply these? So far everyone I've called told me they don't have the unit in stock. Parrot / Expansys says shipping in 3 days. I was thinking of ordering online then getting it installed.
Is the fitting difficult? I have fitted radios in previous cars. I was just worried after everything I've read about the BMW needing a new amp for aftermarket radio install or needing to splice cables.

@NaSaH: I was originally looking at getting the Parrot MKi9200 which I got quoted 295 for unit and installation. I would prefer an all in one solution that can play from my iPod / iPhone etc.

In an ideal world I would have a unit with a 7inch slide screen which could play movies from my phone via AirPlay, do music streaming and handsfree. I don't want any of the DVD units as I stopped buying those a long time ago and instead throw films onto computer or iPad.

Do you have any other recommendations if there is anything better than the Asteroid in around the same price bracket?

·
087 6343208
152 Posts
id always tell a customer install would take an hour should do it in half hour but always allow for the unexpected..

the parrot mki9200 is the best bluetooth/ipod handsfree kit on the market in my opinion.
anyone ive installed and had latest software is delighted with the improved sound quality and ease of use,very hard unit to top.. and you were priced dear-normally there €250 fitted including everything!!!

i dont think the installer is quoting for a facia panel unless you have agreed this...
do your research give the mki9200 another look
you wont be dissapointed..

i think the reason no one stocks the headunits as most installers stick with what we know,what sells and what doesnt give problems!!

·
E90 BMW 320i
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm still open to the mki9200 but the big appeal for me with the asteroid is not having all the extra bits attached to the car. With the Mki9200 I would have a radio, sat nav, parrot screen and controller.

I seen that the Mki9200 uses its own amp so just steals the speakers from the radio.
  1. Would this be the same case for the Asteroid?
  2. Would it not use my amp?
  3. Would this affect the sound quality?

Whats your opinion of the Asteroid?
Thinking of ordering it online from Parrot. Do you fit radios too? If so PM some details.

·
087 6343208
152 Posts
The amplifier inbuilt in the mki9200 is more
Powerful than your standard BMW radio
You will defo notice a better/sharper sound when playing
iPod be it plugged in or streaming

On the mki you only have the neat little screen which displays
Albums/artists playlists or phonebook depending which mode ur in and a neat small remote control that's it ..I think fitted properly works and looks very neat..

Haven't heard much on the unit you mention it's defo not a big mover so far!
My advice stick to the mki... The new radio may look worse in dash than the small parrot screen but thats all personal preferences ..

·
///Member
1,966 Posts
The amplifier inbuilt in the mki9200 is more
Powerful than your standard BMW radio
You will defo notice a better/sharper sound when playing
iPod be it plugged in or streaming
Are you sure about that? I know from experience that playing music directly from the AUX built into my E92 gives considerably better sound quality than that which the parrot gives when I plug the iPod in. So that makes me think the amp in the E92 at least is better than the Mki one. I have the BMW professional radio, which is the standard and no way an upgrade if you're wondering. The only time I plug the iPod into the Mki is when I'm charging it.

·
087 6343208
152 Posts
Yes I'm positive I've fitted plenty of these kits To 3/5 and x5's
And most customers have commented on the improvements
On sound quality through the parrot.
In my professional opinion I fully stand by what I said!

I normally set each one up for each car I do.
And personally I think the parrot amp set up once
Installed correctly and set up properly equaliser wise definitely sounds
Sharper and deeper.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Dave fitted the MKi9200 into my jeep today, I must say it's absolutely brilliant!! It's so neat yet the screen is crystal clear, the sound is unbelievable too. Very happy with it and also with daves work he's a top bloke and the work is top notch ;) Would recommend the kit and Dave to anybody.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Is it just the adaptor I'll need or do I need aerial adaptor too?
Would this work http://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/series-e90e91-stereo-installation-fascia-wiring-aerial-p-8557.html

Anywhere you guys would recommend to buy fascia from?
Cant remember for certain but im fairly sure you need an antenna adapter for that. You can get the ISO adapter, antenna adapter and the facia on ebay pretty cheap. The headunit itself is on there aswell and works out about 260 landed if you shop around. Im gonna pick one up myself when i get round to it, she sounds like a nice piece of kit. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts