BMW-Driver.net Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
I bought one when I bought the M5, very useful for keeping an eye on things!

Only thing is it doesn't work on all cars, even though it is supposed to, still, I wouldn't be without it.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
For that money (unless im just looking at mad prices on them) you could by a rake of cables to make your own diagnostics machine. Mine only stands me something like 40-60 quid.

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use a bluetooth OBD-II dongle and a piece of software on my phone instead.

Much more information there.

The dongle is around 60-80$ and the software is maybe 10 EUR.

/M
does it show faults though ??? i remember you showing it to me at the munster meet last year was that the one ???

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I use a bluetooth OBD-II dongle and a piece of software on my phone instead.

Much more information there.

The dongle is around 60-80$ and the software is maybe 10 EUR.

/M
Does that not just give ya codes that you have to figure out yourself though?

i seen them over on dealextreme for decent money, never used one though.

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
does it show faults though ??? i remember you showing it to me at the munster meet last year was that the one ???
Yes. It does diagnostics, but only engine. Similar to the Peake code reader. For all the other modules, I use car-soft or INPA.

It even lets you clear the fault memory and reset the codes.

It also gives you live readings. (speed, load, maf-airflow, etc.)

Does that not just give ya codes that you have to figure out yourself though?

i seen them over on dealextreme for decent money, never used one though.
It comes back with proper P (peake) codes and with the description of what the fault is. It even lets you send the diagnostic to somebody else by SMS (like your mechanic). You can also save them on the phone for later re-evaluation.

Mine came from dealextreme. The output is down to the software you're using with the module. And the software for my Nokia phone is quite advanced. There exists software for iPhones, too, but I've never tested that.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Cool, I thought they'd be crap. :)

Theres an android app available for them too.
They are just a generic OBD-II reader. So if the car talks OBD-II (most petrol ones from 98/99 do, most diesel from '05 and on do), it'll work.

How much information you get is down to the software.

I use OBDScope and Racechrono on the Nokia. OBDScope is for diagnostics and live readings. Racechrono logs my laptimes (based on GPS) and my speed/engine data from the OBD-II module.

You can also use the bluetooth software with any generic OBD-II software on a PC/laptop then. It's universal in that sense.

The Peake tool is also just a generic OBD-II reader.

/M

·
Flying low ....
2,835 Posts
Same thing, different packaging. Dunno much about their quality, as I don't have one.

The one I bought is this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd-ii-wireless-transceiver-dongle-16921 - Price $53

And there's a USB version, if you just want to use it with a laptop: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-usb-vehicle-obd-2-scanner-tool-28528 - $28

There are loads of variations of these devices. The blue OBD-II dongle has been very handy for me and I've used it on various cars. My M5, a Jag X-Type, Volvo V40, VW Touran etc. etc.

The cars it didn't work on is the 7-series ('95), my 525d ('01 diesel), 525tds ('98 diesel), my Caravelle ('99 diesel)

As I said, the car has to be OBD-II and petrol after 98 or so. Diesel 05 and up. But that applies to the Peake code reader, too.

/M

·
E63 Bmw 645Ci
4,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same thing, different packaging. Dunno much about their quality, as I don't have one.

The one I bought is this one: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-bluetooth-obd-ii-wireless-transceiver-dongle-16921 - Price $53

And there's a USB version, if you just want to use it with a laptop: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/elm327-usb-vehicle-obd-2-scanner-tool-28528 - $28

There are loads of variations of these devices. The blue OBD-II dongle has been very handy for me and I've used it on various cars. My M5, a Jag X-Type, Volvo V40, VW Touran etc. etc.

The cars it didn't work on is the 7-series ('95), my 525d ('01 diesel), 525tds ('98 diesel), my Caravelle ('99 diesel)

As I said, the car has to be OBD-II and petrol after 98 or so. Diesel 05 and up. But that applies to the Peake code reader, too.
/M
dont think so lad peake tool works on cars back to 1987

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
You can buy those Scantool ones from ebay for a lot less than that link. Ive seen the cables for as little as a fiver and the software is readily available for download. They only pick up on stuff that triggers a MIL light though, theres a lot of info they dont pick up on that other things like carsoft, INPA etc can find easily. Their handy for quick confirmation of a problem, but i wouldn't spend any real amount of money on one.

·
Registered
5,900 Posts
its supposed to work on all bmws from 1987-2007 , have you found different richie??
Yeah, a few cars I tried it in it would not work, 2 318 coupes and a compact. Works fine on the M5 and 325 coupe though.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts